Humor in Science and Theology

Looks like while looking from the wide end? Interesting. Kind of sinister, like molecular enantiomers

1 Like

Then you’re looking along the axis, not perpendicular to it, if I’m getting what you mean, and you’re looking at a helix instead of more or less parallel lines. Now it matters which side you’re looking at, as if it were in a plane. If you are looking perpendicular to the axis from the outside, it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Previously ; - ) …

1 Like

I LOVE Venn diagrams. This is wonderful! Thank you.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’ll be hunkering down to see how my highly alert one year old border collie cross does in a war zone. When she does her business it will be on leash in my backyard.

5 Likes

If your cat is a civet cat :skunk:, look out. (Yeah, I know – they’re not synonymous ; - )

1 Like

Price correction: sinistral ones go for more like $100,000.

A dextral Busycon:

A sinistral Busycon:

Look at it with the aperture pointing at you and the spire up. The side it opens on is the chirality under standard malacological definitions. The Hindu system has the siphon up, and thus the rare mutant ones are the “right” ones.

There are also hyperdextral (anatomy is dextral, but shell looks sinistral because it is coiling toward the front of the snail rather than the back), hypersinistral (mirror of hyperdextral), irregularly coiling gastropods, and ones that change chirality between the larval and adult shells.

2 Likes

Thanks! That helps a LOT.
I did also cheat and refer to this for shell vocab:

1 Like

Sloth is a deadly sin!

7 Likes

The the roughly parallel lines of the “Spires forming the whorl” “Sutures” are what is analogous to threads. You have to zoom in on the “Apex[es]” on Timothy’s photos, but you’ll see they follow the right arm up slopes up to the right rule, and correspondingly for the left. Without squinting, the largest exposed edge slopes the same way.

1 Like

12 Likes

I don’t think we’ve seen the one in the six o’clock position on July 4… yet. :grimacing:

1 Like

Forget the dogs; watch out for cats!

Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 11-34-09 James Patterson Quote “Cats are like Baptists. You know they raise hell but you can never catch them at it.”

3 Likes

images

6 Likes

Jeremy the left handed snail finally found love but made all right handed babies.

6 Likes

Numbers don’t lie. But people use numbers to lie.

With that said you’re hundreds of times more likely to be bitten by a cat than a alligator and so be a good parent and get them a alligator for a pet.

7 Likes

12 Likes

For men confused by function versus style, we pray.

13 Likes

Glad that it was only an artists impression, an accurate depiction would be far more terrifying given that ladybeetle mouth parts are like the jaws of life tool that firefighters use to cut people out of cars. Only the jaws have a bladed edge and curve into a sharp point. But then aphids are like pigs with a retractable hypodermic needle for a mouth and that’s not the most cuddly image either. :sweat_smile:

Ps. Bugs are cool, not creepy. Pass it on…

5 Likes