Humor in Science and Theology

I’m laughing maniacally right now!

I thought this was funny–to illustrate our tendency to make straw men out of different groups. Thanks.
Calvinist Missionary In Remote Jungle Surprised To Learn Calvinists Don’t Evangelize | Babylon Bee

2 Likes

10 Likes

8 Likes

I’m always happy and thankful to god when it’s a rainy Fourth of July……

3 Likes

This would be comparable (in visual, but not magnitude) to one with “Animal Fossils, by Phylum”: “Mollusca” and “other”. Add in other groups and it would be "

6 Likes

Pre-mineralized for the win!

1 Like

How irresponsible of him to go walking his ape-men without a leash!

1 Like

Same energy

10 Likes

I see that Krishna is being cheap:

(on a Thai restaurant menu)

Given that I suspect that no one besides my father (who noticed it first) and I are going to get it, here’s the explanation:

The shell that Krishna is holding is a Turbonilla pyrum or Sacred Chank. They are generally considered a sacred symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism. Sinistral ones (a 1 in 200,000 mutation in this species) are considered extra special (and are what Krishna is typically depicted with), and are thus even more expensive than they would otherwise be. Dextral ones can be purchased (from a reputable dealer) for about $130. Fake sinistral ones (actualy modified sinistral Busycon) are comparable in price. I would not be surprised if an actual sinistral one was several thousand dollars.

8 Likes

Love the troll in the cartoon.

1 Like

Peace to you, SkovandofMitaze.

1 Like

Timothy,
It’s always a bit lonely studying in areas where there are as many profs or more in the department as there are students with that major – those tiny, tiny subsets. However, it was lovely to have a whole gaggle of academic uncles (and an aunt) adopt me, when I finally declared my major as an undergrad. One quickly grasps, though, that few (but what a wonderful few!) people care to even feign interest in one’s area of specialization.

It’s important to continue to build community with those people who are able to value what you do, even though they are maybe in the “astronomy” part of your graph. Collect those wonderful people who care widely and seek intellectual connections that other people find silly – and which have potential to answer questions no one yet thinks to ask. You may even find yourself wondering about the connections they make. Stick with them. Learn with them. Learn from them. You will enrich each other.

Ugh! how do you orient the shell to determine the direction of the twist?
I’m used to this concept from examining the ply on yarn. We speak of S- or Z-twist simply in reference to the diagonal line in either letter compared to the diagonal “lines” that appear in the yarn from the way it’s plied. The assumption is that the yarn is held vertically and examined from the side.
Looking at illustrations and diagrams of shells is not helping me understand how to orient the shell to examine it.
I don’t want to get ripped off or anything, next time I stop at Sea Shell City on the way home from the Mackinac Bridge.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Sure brings back memories!

2 Likes

Maybe because in Hindu belief, Krisha is raised by a poor family. There are some surprising lewd stories about Krisha’s adventures on earth!

Did you see “The Life of Pi”? The protagonist is Pi, a Hindu. But he also starts to embrace other religions–Islam, Christianity, whatever. Finally his father tells him, “You are 4 religions away from having the whole week off!”

4 Likes

God just needed another Angel! God doesn’t give you more than you can handle! Everything happens for a reason! THE LORD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES!

2 Likes

Just saw this and knew right away where to put it.

Imgur

10 Likes

Yep.  

It wasn’t on the 4th, but we had a fire that crossed the river when it was windy maybe a dozen years ago. Our place including the house could go up like a torch. :grimacing: ETA: I don’t mind the quiet either. ; - )

1 Like

Dextral lines go up to the right, sinistral up to the left (when viewed from above and perpendicular to the axis of course). Just raise your right (or left) arm. ; - )

1 Like