Humor in Science and Theology

For any kid to see trusted adults acting this way is horrible to imagine. But once you do the violence to yourself of closing your mind to what truth there may be in favor of what you wish to find true, it is hard to do right by anyone else.

6 Likes

Reminds me of…

9 Likes

7 Likes

Of course is we who follow our own predecessors. :wink:

2 Likes

Speaking of following our predecessors:

13 Likes

Reminds me of this one (which may have been shared here before):

caveman comic

10 Likes

8 Likes

Love it, but they skipped the beating the bones of a rotting carcass with rocks to break them to suck the nutritious bone marrow from them. Why make bone broth when you can go directly to the source!

3 Likes

Makes more sense that the “Primal Burger” or “Primal Burrito or Biscuit” from Hardee’s that characters from the new Jurassic World movie are trying to eat.

I would replace day two with “whatever meat you find”. Plus, those are new world groups (both the teratorn or new world vulture, and the xenarthrans). African ones would be better. Seafood would be another good option.

3 Likes

Mark, I had always wondered if the passion flower and the passion fruit were related biologically, rather than merely in name. So, thanks!

We see the same effect (edible but flavorful or unpleasant) with the berries that grow wild on our propoperty. Some patches of the same (tiny) raspberries are sweet and delicious, and others are “meh” at best. There is another type of similar, edible berry that grows in different patches. That berry is sour everywhere in our wilderness and the neighbor’s, but delicious with sugar!

1 Like

Passiflora incarnata fruits, otherwise known as maypops, are fairly good-tasting (vaguely similar to tart berries in terms of sweetness), but pretty much impossible to remove seeds from (too well attached to the pulp), so you just eat the edible seeds.

Partridge Berry in in the “edible but zero flavor” category.

3 Likes

This could be useful:

xkcd: Extended NFPA Hazard Diamond

Here is the one for a chemical that I will be working with as part of a project, guess what it is (hint: it can be purchased from a local source almost anywhere).

3 Likes

1 Like

Ethanol? ???

2 Likes

@jpm

If it is ethanol then the ATF should be included in the grey box. However, ethanol is a good fit.

My backup guess is acetone.

3 Likes

That would be an advantage if true but it seems many seek more certainty for their positions and grant near prophet status to some atheism authors.

I missed the pun at first, reading it as no profit. That I think is true. There is no advantage in the face of mortality whether that he our own or our loved one’s. Neither is there anything in it that in itself is conducive to equanimity or pro social attitudes. Of course I don’t think it is any impediment to those things either. Settled purpose and meaning sufficient to grant contentment can elude believers too except in some abstract way stripped of contentment.

I wonder if any of these groups of atheists I hear about who get together and rent space at which to hold regular meetings more or less modeled on churches have applied for received tax exempt status as well. Those have little appeal to me personally. I imagine a Unitarian Universalist church would serve the purpose so long as one wasn’t adverse to some Christian touches.

9 Likes

8 Likes

That first line could also read “I just take God at his word” or “I prefer the plain reading of the text”

5 Likes

8 Likes