Humor in Science and Theology

I’ve never heard my boys laugh so hard at a science book!

2 Likes

It’s nice to find such an unbiased source of information. Missionary Baptists are a very conservative sect of Baptists (How’d you guess.) Never heard of Hardshell Baptists before. Hmm…

2 Likes

Interesting list. I remember my Dad mentioning Hardshell Baptists, and I think they are the same as Primitive Baptists. (Is that redundant?). Again, a very conservative group.

2 Likes

Well, it is good to finally know the truth. I’ll tell the elders to shut down our humble congregational chapel, forthwith.

3 Likes

Ice cream after a baptism at a Hardshell Baptist ice cream social.

5 Likes

Not so fast! That “Origins” document is a fraud. Everybody knows that prior to AD 31 Christ started the River Brethren branch of the Wengerites (Northern District) before the Missionary Baptists then split off from the true church - Catholics soon to follow as well.

5 Likes

I wonder how they got that name?

Evidently it comes from the uncompromising positions they take. They are evidently Calvinistic and do not support mission work, as opposed to the group formed in reaction to them, Missionary Baptists.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of hyper-Calvinists who do no missionary work. Because, why bother?

2 Likes

8 Likes

9 Likes

I was just pulling out my stationery basket to answer some letters and ran across this postcard I had made quite a few years ago, part of a larger series all with the same theme. I thought with the popularity of OUP’s Very Short Introductions around these parts, this bit of mail art might find some traction.

5 Likes

Dipped AND sprinkled. Not so sure about that. The order is wrong. You might get sprinkled first and then be required to be dipped later, but then the sprinkles don’t show any more. It’s so confusing. @MarkD has recommended waterskiing as the ultimate mode of baptism: all possible modes at once.

Except for the hardshell Baptists. Kinda crusty about all this….

3 Likes

Maybe “hardshell” Baptists are those living in the north who have to break the ice in the lake before they can get baptized.

6 Likes

HERESY!!!

Has to be white water rafting.

3 Likes

A good suggestion for most denominations. But for the hard shelled ones I’d recommend a biathlon event consisting of skinny dipping and ice fishing. Any fish actually caught could serve as sacrament.

2 Likes

Preferably in the same body of water… :cold_face:

3 Likes

From elsewhere in SM:

11 Likes

In a similar albeit less lethal vein I was discussing the Passiflora edulis Frederick vine I was planning to put in with a friend who told me she’d planted it and it produced a lot of fruit. But they were not at all flavorful. So while “edulis” does mean edible, edible does not necessarily mean tasty. I’ll try to find a home for my plant elsewhere.

3 Likes

A: God is laying on my heart that we need to go with plan 1.

B: Well God told me to use discernment because Satan is deceiving you and what he really wants is to go with plan 2. They then fall to the ground wiggling while speaking in tongues as they are slain by the spirit as a sign they are the correct one……

It’s funny because I’ve seen this technique.

5 Likes