Homeschool article: does it accurately represent things?

Ran across this on Facebook. If true, it is encouraging:

I know that article generated a lot of discussion on homeschooling forums when it came out, and CT reported on it. Do More Christian Homeschoolers Want Evolution in Textbook...... | News & Reporting | Christianity Today

I think it accurately represents the situation at Christian colleges. Very few donā€™t teach from an evolutionary perspective.

This creates angst in a couple different directions in the private schooling world - as well as the homeschooling world too, Iā€™m suspecting: On the one hand parents want their high school aged children prepared for college and so want the robust (honest) approaches to science. On the other hand, it also feeds the ā€œlets buttress the faith of our youth against the assault (from evolution and all the other perceived liberalisms) that they will be exposed to even in our Christian colleges.ā€

Hopefully itā€™s a refreshing sign that parents may be starting to let their kids emerge from their ā€œfaithā€ bubbles into the real world before they are college aged. However it also means a ā€œdoubling downā€ bunker mentality for many others.

Thatā€™s why Ken Ham publishes his list of non-compromising colleges. I went through the list one time, and only a handful are accredited and almost all the ones that are are accredited through TRACS, which is a product of ICR. (It was the accreditation Liberty University had until 2008.)

1 Like

I hope the list is titled, ā€œHow to Go Broke with Student Loans on a Worthless Degree.ā€

1 Like

Well - one hopes the degree wouldnā€™t be entirely worthless - there are more things in the world than science, after all. But it may well represent a worrying lean on the spectrum of ā€œwe want you to learn how to think, and practice doing itā€ all the way to ā€œHere is the pre-vetted, pre-approved ā€˜thinkingā€™ thatā€™s already been done for you: open up ā€¦ now download.ā€ And that is a spectrum that should concern nearly all of us - not just YECs even if theyā€™re buried in the thickets at the far end.

Besides ā€¦ that list may be quite useful ā€¦ for those who want to check and make sure their college is not on it.

1 Like

Definitely. Itā€™s sad how the idea of apologetics was meant to counter the idea that having faith meant checking oneā€™s intellect at the door ā€“ and now so much of what passes for ā€œapologeticsā€ these days pretty much requires that. :-/

5 Likes

Itā€™s not the science, but the fact that theyā€™re unaccredited schools. You might as well make up a college and print your own diploma on a laser printer. At least that would be free.

Some are accredited but by the ABHE. Bible Colleges are good for some careers. Like ministry in fundamentalist churches.

PHC is accredited by TRACS now.

A booming industry! :rofl:

Well, maybe Iā€™ve got pink glasses on, but I kind of miss thatā€“I had an entirely secular education. Iā€™m glad for that, too, as it freed me up in a lot of ways; but wish I had some Bible courses.

Just a comment on the colleges and universities represented thereā€“Pensacola Christian College has some great English programs, from what Iā€™ve heard; and the correspondence school, which is admittedly lacking in the natural history area, is outstanding in the English. It took many hours to diagram those sentences and learn their grammar, but all of us kids got great educations in those areas (though ā€œThe History of the World from the Christian Perspectiveā€ probably pushed me away from fundamentalism because of the harsh view).

In the non-Bible college area, Cedarville University has good biology and health teaching; one of my relatives (who is smarter on most levels than I) graduated from there. Itā€™s not necessary to know evolution for, say, primary care in most levels (though that may change) Here are some notable alumni from Cedarville:

DeMaurice Smith, Executive Director of the National Football League Players Association
Paula Faris, American television correspondent for ABC News
Abbie Cobb, actress and author
David Jeremiah, author, speaker and senior pastor of the California evangelical megachurch Shadow Mountain Community Church
Joseph M. Stowell III, president of Cornerstone University and the author of over 20 Christian books
Valde Garcia, member of the Michigan State Senate
Peter A. Lillback president of Westminster Theological Seminary and author of ā€œGeorge Washingtonā€™s Sacred Fireā€
Grace Norman, U.S. Paralympic triathlon[49] gold medalist, and bronze medalist in 400m [50] in the 2016 Paralympics in Rio

I think it is a mistake to avoid seeking accreditation, but itā€™s probably, as someone said above, a struggle for everyone to come to terms with the intersection between faith and science.

You can get Bible classes at fully accredited Christian schools. I had to take 12 hours of Bible and Theology to graduate from Wheaton, but I also got a degree that was worth something; I could get a teacherā€™s license and I had no trouble getting into grad school. Not so with most ā€œBible colleges.ā€

Cedarville has swung very far to one side of a spectrum in recent years since Paige Patterson took over their Board. They fired all their female Bible professors and had huge faculty and staff turnover in protest of the new direction. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/leadership-changes-at-cedarville-university-point-to-conservative-direction/2013/12/18/7f45f612-6835-11e3-997b-9213b17dac97_story.html?utm_term=.518ff0746a56

1 Like

Ah, got it.

What!
Weird that we havenā€™t heard of that. Iā€™ll pass that on to my brother. He just took my niece there to visit yesterday. Thanks.

Also, I donā€™t know how you have a decent lit program if you canā€™t assign things with cursing or sex in it: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/april/cedarville-university-apply-philippians-4-8-curriculum.html

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s interesting. Thanks.

I only keep a close eye on Cedarville because my kids go to a camp for MKs in Puebla that is run by Cedarville students on spring break. All their friends go and they love it, but I always feel like I need to debrief them and make sure they didnā€™t hear anything too wacky about women. They always hear kooky stuff about the Flood, but they are better equipped to handle that than the purity culture/patriarchy stuff.

3 Likes

This gave me a good chuckle, because Iā€™ve done similar things when my older kids attend certain events.

@DennisVenema We just read Blue Parakeet (the new edition) together, and instead of purity rings, I got my tween and teen girls blue parakeet Bible bookmarks and told them I hoped they would sing and fly use every gift God gave them as they became young women. And then I told them that when their friends asked where their purity rings were, they could say that a womanā€™s greatest treasure is not her virginity, though thatā€™s all fine and good, itā€™s what Godā€™s spirit can do through her to bring the Kingdom.

It was my act of Evangelical rebellion. I hope Scot would be proud. :wink:

6 Likes