Homeschool article: does it accurately represent things?

There is certainly a growing demand for this. Most of us just end up using secular science books.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of homeschool moms go along with Christian science resources without even looking at whether the science is correct or not. I was talking to one mom that goes to my church, and she didn’t even know there was a young vs old earth controversy, nor did she know how old anyone thought the earth was, be it billions of years or 6000 years (apparently she hasn’t listened to the numerous sermons on the topic). She uses YEC science curriculum. Most of the homeschoolers at my church do purposely use YEC curriculum, but it just amazes me how many people have no idea why they even believe in YEC or that there is a difference between what’s in their “Christian” curriculum vs. what the mainstream scientific consensus is.

The annoying thing as a homeschooler is when people talk about wanting “science from a Christian perspective”, and they mean YEC. Like there is no other possible view. Or if you’re looking for secular science (so it will actually include evolution), they’ll recommend something that’s neutral, which means it just avoids the topic entirely. I’m sure it’s fun to learn some basic things about animals, but biology without evolution is kind of missing an awful lot.

Sorry, that was a random rant. :laughing:

1 Like

It affects history too and people are equally oblivious. Mystery of History uses really wacky dates for ancient Egypt to fit the global flood theory, and most people aren’t aware that they are teaching their child history that almost every actual historian or archaeologist would say is wrong.

3 Likes

Yes, I avoid some of the Christian history curricula for that reason and because many are providential - “God used Christopher Columbus to discover America.” While I believe in providence, I do not believe that America is God’s chosen nation now, as some of those Christian curricula seem to present.

Btw, it was history that first had me questioning YEC. As we learned about different cultures in different parts of the world, I couldn’t make sense of how they fit in with a global flood 4000 years ago.

3 Likes

I would bet that for those who join Christian homeschool communities for reasons other than to deliberately avoid evolutionary teachings in schools, the homeschool community is probably a big way in which they are introduced to the “controversy.” They see people around them using and recommending YEC science curriculum and probably assume that’s just the official Christian way of doing things. Homeschooling can be overwhelming especially in the beginning, so I can understand why many parents are very open to suggestion at that point.

From the article:

“There are not as many faithful Christian colleges as people think,” said Farris, who admires Cedarville as one of only a few evangelical schools that he believes “still maintain their spiritual integrity.”

Yep, that mindset was very prevalent from homeschool thought leaders when I was in school. We were one of the last faithful remnants of true Christianity in America. I mean, we might not have said it in those words, but that seemed to be the general implication.

1 Like

It is interesting to see how peer pressure and tribalism are such powerful motivators for all of us, I am sure. Just thankful for this tribe!

I see these issues played out as my daughter homeschools. Her homeschool group is pretty heavy YEC and she is non-confrontational, but seems to try to let the kids keep an open mind to different ideas (As she occasionally lurks here: let me know if I misrepresented things, L.). It is not an easy path at times, and if kids can just have the idea that there are different ways to faithfully interpret scripture it will be fine.

3 Likes

I think those may be pretty important words for leaders / homeschool parents to let be heard: “Some Christians think this way and other Christians have other approaches…”
That expression, even by itself, gives students “permission” to explore scriptures, science, and various understandings without feeling like they must stray from the only Christian sheepfold in order to do so. Of course any slight insertion of reproach into that (regarding those other “Christians”) quickly revokes any perceived permission. But even if genuine openness is expressed, that in itself will be seen as understandably tribal in today’s sensibilities. If one is already sitting on the only accurate truth there is, then any exploration away from that is by definition a matter for reproach, is it not? Anybody who is not with us must be against us. That attitude is the unfortunate inversion of what Jesus actually taught: “whoever is not against us is for us.” (Mark 9)

Whether we like it or not, we will spend eternity with some of those fundamentalists in fundamentalist churches. I usually find this kind of mocking of Christians on atheist boards. Sorry Jay. I like you but this is kinda wrong.

I wasn’t mocking fundamentalists or their beliefs. I was commenting more upon the fact that ministry in any denomination is not exactly a growth industry these days. If you go to an unaccredited college that only qualifies you for ministry, the problem is even worse. Either way, please accept my apology for not being clear the first time around. I meant no offense.

1 Like

Out of the blue, my 27-year-old daughter recently thanked me for not allowing her to wear a purity ring.

Edit: I said no when she was 13! Sorry. I seem to be having all sorts of trouble communicating lately! haha

2 Likes

I did not know purity rings were still a thing. I think they disappeared from our church culture about 10-15 years ago.

I’m guessing they stopped working. That is, they stopped giving the older generation any added peace of mind.

1 Like

I sure hope it proves to be a trend. My wife and I wanted to homeschool our kids so we could incorporate faith into their learning experience. But it took me thirty years to work my way out of fundamentalist denial of evolution, and I wasn’t about to let my kids go down that road. They learned about evolution from the start as a divine creative process. None of the other Christian homeschoolers in our area took that approach–as far as I know they all retreated into creation “science.” It’s nice to know there are at least a few here are there who ground their children’s education in truth about that subject.

4 Likes