God in the Bible vs other religions

When you act, the action comes from your self, like the brush strokes that make up a painting. This is a good analogy for how the universe is created.

You intend an action and it happens.

Everything is infinte. It need not be amenable to experience which is finite.

Agree entirely. Universe self.created itself.

While a painting may be an intimate expression of the painter, and it may even be seen in a sense as a part of oneself, it is not the self creating the self even if you say it is.

There is an infinite being, but not an infinite number of things.

2 Likes

An infinite being that has no parts? How does it movie?

The Belgic Confession puts it nicely:

“We all believe in our hearts
and confess with our mouths
that there is a single
and simple
spiritual being,
whom we call God—”

1 Like

So how does God move?

Do you mean how does he affect movement without moving?

• Yahweh went in front of Israel in/as a cloud by day and a fire by night during their 40-year hike through the desert. That’s “motion” in and through “Time” and “Space”. I can’t imagine Him doing that if He doesn’t have parts. Absolute Space is unbounded [a.k.a. infinite], doesn’t have parts, and doesn’t move. How does something that moves not have parts?

Who could possibly know? Has anyone put a God on the dissection table to examine? Do you know whether God has big feet or small, many or none at all?

You might have a point in mind I’d agree with but I can’t tell from what you’ve written. Asking this sort of question is like asking the best way to hunt snipe. Of course those things don’t actually exist. That may not be true of God but it isn’t much better to ask specific questions of something no one has taken the measure of.

This snippet from a poem in an article @Jay313 recently shared by Pope addresses the issue in play here:

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan;
The proper study of mankind is Man.

He then goes on to reprove us for such temerity:

Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise, and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Skeptic side
With too much weakness for the Stoic’s pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest.
In doubt to deem himself a god, or beast;
In doubt his mind or body to prefer,
Born to die, and reasoning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
Whether he thinks too little, or too much:
Chaos of thought and passion, all confused;
Still by himself abused, or disabused;
Created half to rise, and half to fall;
Great lord of things, yet a prey to all;
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurled;
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world

1 Like

Sorry, my mother says I can’t play with you anymore.

3 Likes

Maybe tomorrow we can sting a couple of tin cans together as a phone so she won’t know. :wink:

2 Likes

Good question. I’m pretty sure those would be considered theophanies. I’ll see if I can find something more substantial.

1 Like

Agree. The example of the painting was only to show no external god. Proper example perhaps would be a seed self.creating itself into a tree. But please appreciate that examples are not perfect.

Absolute space has continuity in its parts, yet has parts. Like cloud is part of sky yet continuous.

Dissection implies separation of dissected and dissector. This is more like self dissection. Like meditation. Then one can experience or .see. God.

So an infinite regress of changes?

• Absolute and utter nonsense. Since you obviously have no clue what it is, I’ll define it for you:
    • Absolute Space, versus “Relative Space”, is a set. The elements of the set are points, that don’t move with respect to each other, never have and never will. [By the way, Absolute Space is, in English, an abstract noun. As a consequence, you’re not going to find a box of it laying around in your house anytime soon.]
    • The stuff you’re talking about isn’t Absolute Space. Clouds are stuff in space and certainly not “part of space”. The sky is a “Moving Reference Frame”, it and clouds move in and through Absolute Space too.
    • By the way, keep that stuff I told you above between us. There are children around here who scare very easily when someone tries to say anything rational and reasonable about Absolute Space.
1 Like

“Let your conversation be always full of grace…” -Colossians 4:6. Bye for now.