Glossary of common abbreviations and acronyms for these here parts

• Are any of them biblical? :laughing:
1 Like

NAFAIK! :smile:

3 Likes

Well, there is always NIV, KJV, CSB,ESV, NRSV, …Those are VERY Biblical.

4 Likes

Which reminds me - some may not know LXX = Septuagint and MT = Masoretic Text, and those appear in forum posts here.

4 Likes

BTW - does anybody know any Z- starting acronyms we’ve used? Surely there was something … Zoonotic something or other? The OCD part of me would derive so much more satisfaction with a list where the alpha has a corresponding omega … and the A’s are matched on the other end with a Z or two. So much better than ending it on a ‘Y’ with Young Earth Creationism!

1 Like
  • Just this one: :zzz:
3 Likes

A few off the top of my head, most on the more technical side . . .

NDE: near death experience
NDE: Neo-Darwinian evolution
RM+NS: random mutations plus natural selection (also used singly)
bp: base pairs (unit of DNA length, as in 100 kbp is 100 thousand base pairs)
rRNA: ribosomal RNA
mRNA: messenger RNA
tRNA: transfer RNA
miRNA: micro RNA
lncRNA: long non-coding RNA
aa: amino acid
indel: an insertion or deletion of DNA, portmanteau
CSI: Complex Specified Information
IC: irreducibly complex
NSF: National Science Foundation

2 Likes

For the purposes of alleviating your OCD, there is at least one that I have seen used in evolution v. creationism debates:

ZNF: zinc finger (often used in relation to proteins)

In a bit of irony, a search for ZNF on BL (BioLogos) shows that my posts are the only ones that use the term. :wink:

4 Likes

Good enough for me! And it shows that I’m not reading enough around here - in that it was a new phrase for me.

I see you are missing a q as well.

QM: Quantum Mechanics

1 Like

Gap filled. Okay – my OCD isn’t so bad that I need to have every letter in there! :laughing: But thanks for keeping any good ones coming.

[which also prompted me to throw in QED]

1 Like

Just had to look that up. Google is my buddy.

1 Like

“Naw, fake!” I assume.

1 Like

LIB!
(Well, I’ll be!)
Thanks–nice idea, Mr Bitikofer.

1 Like

School’s out for me at the moment! Don’t make me feel like I’m at work, Dr. Randy!

MR snakes
MR not
MR2.
CDBDIs?
LIB!
MR snakes!

1 Like

Then there was the reading comprehension part of the old purported “entrance exam” for becoming a football player for Clemson:

MRDUCKS
MRNOT
OSMR
CMWANGS
MRDUCKS

2 Likes

Surely not… I thought that was the entrance exam for Michigan State?

Someone also once told me the one for mice…
“CM EDBD FEET”…

My genetics prof laughed at that one… can’t recall if it was related to amino acids etc…thanks.

1 Like

YMMV- your mileage may vary
YO-YO- you’re on your own
AMF- Adios, my friend (G-rated version)

Of course, these and others get far from the original list of abbreviations used here that are not common to general internet usage.

2 Likes

‘Z’ is a tough one. I would imagine that most households use ZF (Zermelo-Fraenkel) and ZFC (Zermelo-Fraenkel with Axiom of Choice) in conversations about set theory and foundations of math. See Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory - Wikipedia. Or maybe not :slight_smile:.

You could add Zrn (Zircon). See Zircon - Wikipedia. This is a mineral used by geologists for geochronology. That is somewhat more likely to be used here. But I think we’re stretching a bit for Z :slight_smile:.

2 Likes