Georgia (USA) COVID-19 Crisis Deepening

Thanks. I hadn’t checked it recently. What stuck in my head was some aid workers in Nigeria being attacked recently by jihadists (not far from where I lived in Niger), who were involved in polio vaccination, and also a vaccine related outbreak in Sudan. I see that the last wild type outbreak in Africa was 2016 Africa declared free of wild polio after decades of work | Global health | The Guardian

That was an enormous achievement under very difficult circumstances. I heard a talk years ago about the vaccination effort in Nigeria in the later stages of the campaign, and the level of detail and organization required were really impressive – e.g. GPS tracking of numerous teams of vaccinators and using the data to locate previously unmapped villages and paths. The adulation we heap on people for the dumbest reasons – kicking a ball into a net one more time than your opponents did, or doing something funny in a web video – while this kind of effort is barely noticed by the world (when it isn’t being actively attacked), well, that saddens me.

7 Likes

Yes–often they are underpaid. Everyone in the chain, from you down to the workers on the ground, deserves much more recognition. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m well paid and sitting on my comfortable couch in my comfortable suburb, so I’m not complaining.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.