Future Chicken teaches kids about climate change

Here is a write up of a new project to bring climate science to kids.

One episode features Katharine Hayhoe. Might be fun if you have little ones in the target demographic.

If I told you there was a chicken named Potato who was going to teach our kids about climate change, would you think I was kidding? Either way, I’m here to inform you that Future Chicken, an “ECOtainment platform” co-created by Catherine Winder and Annabel Slaight, launched last year, including original content like a TV show that airs on CBC and YouTube, games, and a podcast, all aimed at warding off climate doom and instead highlighting climate solutions.

https://heatmap.news/sparks/future-chicken-youtube-climate-change

2 Likes

This is so adorable. I will read it with my little one. Thanks for sharing it

1 Like

I clicked to set my cookie preferences, the instructions said to scroll between categories . . . and there was only one category.

Weird. But then so is a chicken from the future. :laughing:

Not to detract from the Chicken, but: Scientists Resort to Once-Unthinkable Solutions to Cool the Planet

When I was little, I really liked “Go, Diego, Go!”
Here Diego (Dora the explorer’s cousin) saves animals and teaches you about them.

So not really about climate science, but still very useful to teach children to care about animals and their environment. :smile:

Go, Diego, Go! Theme Song

1 Like

The part about using seawater to brighten clouds reminded me of a project I read about a few years ago that also proposed using seawater but in a different way. The idea was to turn seawater into particles the right size for clouds and spray this over high mountains, which should increase cloud formation and thus result in heftier snow packs. When I read about it they’d done small tests and were looking for a mountain for a larger field test – not expected to be easy since the logic of making saltwater clouds to get fresh snow is a bit counterintuitive. I wish I could find something about it both to share here and to get clear in my head again how it was supposed to work, plus see what progress has been made. They seemed pretty confident in their ability to restore the all-year snow pack on Mount Kilimanjaro and rebuild the glaciers it once had, and the same in California’s Sierra.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.