Fermi Paradox and the Phosphorus problem

Never will be. Refusing to use rationality beyond an eternal empirical sample size of one of everything is absurdly meaninglessly obtuse.

There has always been civilized life. Always. Deal with it.

I haven’t watched the whole video yet. I’m also wondering who Isaac Arthur is.

Anyway, I think we haven’t heard from anybody because the universe is so vast and largely unexplored. We have little idea of what is going on out there. Alien civilizations could rise and fall and we’d be none the wiser. Meanwhile, on planet earth, only 5% of our ocean floor has been explored!

Isaac Arthur is a physicist, but most known for his Futurist series of videos he authors and narrates. He loves exploring questions of sci fi plausibilities within the context of realistic science, though he also loves to launch into speculative “what if” sorts of scenarios pending the developments of various technologies.

In his earlier videos he would spend a moment at the beginning of each video apologizing for his speech defect (inability to say his 'R’s) just to acclimate new listeners. Most of us who are used to it now just consider it one of his endearing qualities. I’ve learned a lot listening to his stuff.

Interesting listen that would decrease the likelihood of life elsewhere

What about this further idea that would also decrease the likelihood of intelligent life? Have others proposed this or is it daft? - There have been 5 (or is it 6) mass extinctions, mostly due to the peculiarity of our planet’s tectonic activity, each of which has redirected evolution. Couldn’t these redirections have arguably (?) hastened the evolution of intelligent lifeforms? Increasing our likelihood of being the first?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.