Favorite cryptids?

My household has seen an interest in cryptozoology lately, so I was curious what views are held here. Do any of you believe in Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster, or something else? Have you ever had a “sighting” or known someone who did? I would consider myself skeptical but try to be open-minded when the process of hunting for cryptids is approached scientifically (which it often is not).

Lately I’ve noticed a connection to origins in the way that prior beliefs can influence beliefs in cryptids. When I was a YEC teenager, I totally believed in the Loch Ness Monster. One major reason was because I believed that dinosaurs had only “died out” a few hundred, possibly thousand years ago, and so in that view it made perfect sense that a few minor populations had managed to survive in remote places. Kent Hovind was a big proponent of the idea, and shared all kinds of stories of Nessie sightings and other supposed “lake monsters” in his seminars, and appeared to take the idea very seriously, which was all a sheltered kid like me needed to conclude they were real.

I recently watched an episode of “Drain the Oceans” about Loch Ness, in which they speculated that currents below the surface (due to the unusual size and shape of the lake and surrounding geography) might be responsible for Nessie sightings because they can make something look like it’s “swimming” even on a calm day. It was fascinating, but it was also a bit of a blow to my childhood beliefs, even though I no longer held them.

Bigfoot belief, however, was not encouraged in those circles. But I see now that it had nothing to do with quality of evidence. If anything, Bigfoot/Sasquatch has had a lot more sightings and supposed evidence, such as footprints, which Nessie can’t produce. The difference was that Sasquatch is generally viewed as some kind of hominid or human relative, and encouraging its existence does not help YEC beliefs.

Nowadays, I find it fun to speculate about Sasquatch, even though evidence is scant. How cool would it be if there was truly another population of hominids still out there somewhere? I just read a book (for kids) called “The Search for Sasquatch” by Laura Krantz, and she suggests that we like to keep a bit of mystery about the world. It can drive us to keep discovering and not feel like we’ve plumbed the depths of everything out there. I like that idea, and in that sense I think cryptozoology can be fascinating as long as it doesn’t go off the deep end.

ETA: Just to be clear, belief in Nessie and still-living dinosaurs is not something all YEC people and organizations hold – it’s still fairly fringe as far as I know.

1 Like

Pleased to meet you, Laura. I was called Big Foot in school by jealous, short boys. The name remains truthful.
I do exist.
Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
I think there may be a few more of my kind in the Forum as well. I have one particular one in mind.

4 Likes

The closest I’ve come is skipping rocks on Loch Ness. :grin: Ah, I thought I had mentioned it here somewhere before:

3 Likes

My brother in law gave a game, “Cryptids,” to my son :).My kids liked it!

2 Likes

The board game, not digital, I presume? (I hope it didn’t quickly become a bored game. ; - )

1 Like

Not too fringe for Bodie Hodge of AiG, I’m afraid.

Dragon Legends—Truths Behind the Tales

1 Like

hah! Yes, the board game. My brother in law is really big into those. He has his nephews and nieces over for board game days periodically. Nice uncle

2 Likes

Nice to meet you! I guess I’m a believer now. :smiley:

Neat – I’ll have to check that out when my kids are older. :slight_smile:

Yes, AIG does hold to the idea that dinosaurs influenced dragon legends, but from what I have seen, they don’t tend to go beyond that and claim dinosaurs are still alive to this day. Hovind might claim he doesn’t actually say that in those words either, but then, most people wouldn’t dedicate an entire seminar to something if they didn’t believe it.

1 Like

Here is a conference flyer hosted in my home town by Joe Taylor, now deceased, who was one of my neighbors growing up on the plains of Texas. He was somewhat well known in the YEC community for his work with fossils and such, being involved in excavating the allosaur in the Creation Museum. They Are Real Conference October 1-2 2018 – Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum

It lists a lot of “interesting” subjects as topics by speakers!

1 Like

Wow… yes, “interesting” is definitely a good word for that. So, it looks like it covers a whole bunch of cryptids, but I don’t see that there’s much overlap, at least overtly advertised, between that and YEC views. Still, makes me wonder how YEC individuals with interest in Bigfoot would explain it, and whether they keep a “separation” in those interests.

when I was about 18 and home on furlough, a YEC rep talked at a local conference center about possible large animals (I can’t remember if they said possible dinosaurs, or behemoths) that remained in the jungles of the Congo, reporting a name the folks used for it and playing a loud sound they said implied a very large trachea.
AiG’s site says that dinosaurs died out, though.

1 Like

The Mt. Blanco museum was strongly YEC, despite being full of fossils.

Ken Ham - What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs?

Explorers and natives in Africa have reported sighting dinosaur-like creatures, even in the twentieth century. These have usually been confined to out-of-the-way places such as lakes deep in the Congo jungles. Descriptions certainly fit those of dinosaurs.

Cave paintings by native Americans seem to depict a dinosaur. Scientists accept the mammoth drawings in the cave, so why not the dinosaur drawings? Evolutionary indoctrination that man did not live at the same time as dinosaurs stops most scientists from even considering that the drawings are of dinosaurs.

It certainly would be no embarrassment to a creationist if someone discovered a dinosaur living in a jungle.

1 Like

And from CMI

Mokele-mbembe: a living dinosaur?

Behemoth or bust: an expedition into Cameroon investigating reports of a Sauropod dinosaur

1 Like

Well I don’t believe in cryptids or things like the fae. But i really enjoy them. I’m a big fan of the podcast “The Sasquatch Chronicles” and often the people seem so sincere in their beliefs I wonder if they truly believe it or not. I’ve met “true believers” and go to conventions. But again, I don’t believe in it. I talk about it so much in person sometimes that people think I believe it.

As a kid fairytales played a big role in my upbringing. We took our uncooked veggies and stuff outside and some would blatantly go to animals like I use to place a few berries or something near a ant hill and sometimes would be so antsy :slight_smile: that I would use a twig and poke a hole in the ant mound and put the other end by the food so that they would more quickly find it. But a lot of the food in my mind was really going to brownies (house goblins). Sometimes we would make things like oak meal cookies and take one cookie out, like if you accidentally dropped one or it fell apart you could take it outside and there was this big laid over cypress trunk and sects of it was sawed flat. Anyways we would place the cookie there along with old fruit ( we were told that they would eat moldy fruit and like it ) and so that and leftovers went there. On Christmas Eve we would even place out a shot glass of kvass. With ants my favorite use to be crushing up seeds ( for protein and fat ) and drops of honey. They would carry it off fast. Same with taking crushed strawberries and watermelon out and adding sugar water to it for bees. As a kid I believed that insects and spiders would tell fairies and goblins that we were good. Was also paranoid when it rained that if you were bad goblins would pinch you. I believed “fae” would disguise themselves as bugs.

But to the more typical cryptids my favorite is the mothman. Even my shirt is mothman. I was never really raised YEC. I’ve basically believed in evolution my whole life. I think part of it was that at a art gallery which was next to the soda and ice cream shop that I walked too a lot afterwards I would go to the art gallery and there was always these painting of chimps, monkeys and so on dressed up like people doing people stuff like playing flutes and so on. The lady always told us chimps are our cousins and we evolved from a common ancestor. She painted a lot of stuff of humanoid animals in civilization. We were also taught evolution in 6th grade. So my belief in cryptids was more generated from my love of fantasy and my family which was believers in “folk faiths” merged with Christianity.

Now, even though I not longer attach magical beliefs to them I still do things like leave maple syrup for ants. I’ll collect acorns and mix them with a few tablespoon of seeds for squirrels and so on.

2 Likes

The youth pastor from our old church, who I think a great deal of, except for the YEC stuff, believes in and promotes dragons as dinosaurs at the high school during a “student-sponsored” group that was supposed to be about the basics of Christianity. He used AIG materials, including the book above and some of the articles @rsewell has linked. As an apologetic, it was failing sadly. My daughter had been going, and she talked about the response the skeptical kids had outside of “Pizza Group.” It wasn’t favorable.

2 Likes

Yeah, that seems to be a big difference between some of the larger YEC organizations and some of the more independent individuals who promote their own version of it – full-scale embrace of cryptozoology would probably be a bridge too far for many AIG devotees.

Interesting phrasing here… they’re allowing the possibility but not making any claims one way or another (or giving airtime to “sightings” and other questionable “evidence” for cryptids).

I remember Hovind talking about that one too. A lot of what was presented as “evidence” was no better than what exists for Bigfoot (strange noises in the night that no one could identify, “sightings,” etc.).

That seems to be the way it goes… hope they’re able to find a different direction to go in.

2 Likes

Probably the most interesting ones to me are the Carlisle Cathedral dinosaurs:

It’s interesting because my cousin works for Carlisle Cathedral. I asked him about them once, he said that the idea that they could be evidence for actual living dinosaurs in the fifteenth century in the Carlisle area is “bonkers.”

4 Likes

Cryptozoology may be fun but I am afraid that the time of cryptozoology is close to ending. Environmental DNA sampling is soon thrashing all good stories. Just some water or air samples and you can identify much of the life in the area, visible and hidden.

The thrashing was done at Loch Ness. They did not find the DNA of any dinosaur-like creature from Loch Ness but instead, they found much DNA of European eels. There are claims that eels could possibly grow to the size of 2-3 m (>7 feet). Huge eels swimming at the surface could explain some of the claimed sights of the Loch Ness monster, although most observations are probably something else, like waves caused by currents.

Loch Ness has also been scanned well. The only Nessie-like thing they found from the bottom was a construct that was made for some movie or happening, if I remember correctly. So, no DNA, no bodies or skeletons on the bottom of the lake, no observations of swimming large creatures during the scanning. Unless Nessie can be invisible and does not contain DNA, the idea of Nessie has to be buried.
Rest in peace Nessie, you will be missed.

6 Likes

This will be true for some people, but I can’t help but think about all the bad ideas that still continue in the face of massive scientific evidence to the contrary. Unfortunately, it could mean that the more rational voices in cryptid communities find their way out and they’re left with only “believers.”

That’s kind of how I feel… I love the way science can be used to test claims like this, but I miss the intrigue and mystery of wondering if I’d get to see something strange and unexpected out there.

2 Likes