Fallacy of the Phylogenetic Signal? Part 2

This might be a good place to start:

2 Likes

this looks promising

from what i gather, the generate trees, walk traits along the trees with bifurcating brownian motion, and collect traits at the leaves. Then they interpolate the BM leaves with random distribution of traits on the leaves.

The null hypothesis is the tree metric measured on the leaves’ traits randomly permuted a bunch of times, and then the signal is measured as deviation from the null hypothesis distribution.

This should deal with my random leaves scenario, although a variable leaf length can maybe cause problems, and I will check what happens with the DAG.

Thanks, this is a big help!

per your request for a real design database, that would be ideal, but is beyond my time constraints

the best i can do is change genes to have more human inventiony sounding labels, and impose my preconceptions about real constraints on human designs, so will see what i can do there

also the phrasing should be changed to “decently nested clades” since no real world dataset exhibits a perfect tree structure

the “perfect nesting” is just an attribute of the algorithm used, and not an attribute of the dataset itself

this is what initially threw me, since it all sounds so perfect, and a perfect tree is certainly unexpected with intelligent design

but it is all just rhetoric, there is nothing perfect about the clade nesting

otoh an imperfectly nested clade is exactly what we expect from intelligent design, whereas from first principles we expect a perfectly or at least nearly perfect nested clade from evolution

so the actual imperfectly nested clade we see in the genetoc data may in fact be better evidemce for intelligent design than evolution

has anyone done such an analysis in mainstream phylogenetics? i bet not!

in which case my point still stands, the actual imperfectly nested clade we see in the data cannot be claimed as evidence of evolution without further analysis

I like to describe it as a phylogenetic signal that sticks out above the noise caused by various mechanisms such as incomplete lineage sorting and homoplasies.

WHY??? Separately created species don’t need to share any features. If they do share features, there is certainly no expectation that those features would fall into a nested hierarchy. You would just as likely create a species with fur and flow through lungs as you would a species with feathers and teats. A nested hierarchy for intelligently design species makes no sense.

1 Like

Could you explain this in greater detail?

The prior of nested clades in the deep past is, AFAICT, based on extremely well-documented and evidenced observations of nested clades in recent geological eras.

In other words, biologists infer nested clades in the deep past in the same way and for the same reasons that physicists infer quantum dynamics in the deep past.

Peace,
Chris

1 Like

In the same way separate inventions share same features, there are functions that are common across widely disparate domains. E.g. both a thermometer and a car nowadays are going to have a microchip. Common functional needs entail common designs.

Common functional needs don’t require common designs. Humans do it for efficiency or cost savings. Reasons that wouldn’t apply to an Intelligent Designer that is capable of creating life.

even an omnipotent intelligent designer is constrained by logical necessity, and is self constrained by consistency

good news everyone, i’ve figured out how to derive DAGs at the sequence level

soon all our questions shall finally be answered for ever

stay tuned

We’ll have economic nuclear fusion in 25 years too.

1 Like

The logical is based on human understanding and yet the intelligent designer is omnipotent? That does not compute.

Again, the ID is omnipotent so why should consistency be required? We’re not talking about squaring a circle here. The ID, if it exists, should be capable of just about anything. Like creating male mammals that are not subject to breast cancer.

Why would an all powerful and all powerful deity need to reuse a single design? The only reason humans reuse designs is because we have limited knowledge and limited resources, none of which are limits on the supposed designer.

Huh??? That sounds like babble.

Why does the tRNA for methionine need to have a UAC anticodon that matches an ATG codon? Why couldn’t it be some other codon?

On the flip side, why design millions of different cytochrome c all with different sequences?

sure an omnipotent designer can whatever

but intelligent design isn’t interested in that question

it is more about what we see in the genetic data

1 Like

:man_shrugging: if it is true, doesn’t matter what it is used for

main question is whether the ideas have scientific validity

they seem to afaik

This is a 100+ year old problem that ID has yet to solve.

ID approaches it from the opposite direction, not making assumptions about how a god did things, or even if a god did things

ID could theoretically be due to aliens or something

but you know all this already :wink:

You are assuming the designer had to reuse designs.

some obviously do, e.g. i import libraries all the time writing code

designer doesn’t have to work this way, but it is certainly consistent with what we know about intelligent design