Fallacy of the Phylogenetic Signal? Part 2

I fully admit that a supernatural deity could create life so that it all falls into a nested set of clades. However, we have this thing called parsimony.

Most people would argue that the ability to predict planetary orbits using Newton’s equations are strong evidence for the existence of gravity. However, would we be justified in saying that gravity may not exist, and that the evidence is also consistent with gravity fairies moving planets about in a way that exactly mimics our equations of gravity?

1 Like

If you’ve been tracking the many times I’ve posted my argument, you’d know I am not making that sort of argument.

This is what you said in the opening post:

You are trying to claim that intelligent design can create the same evidence that evolution would, correct?

1 Like

your wording there is a bit ambiguous, such that one could read that as a parsimony issue, so i cannot sign off on your paraphrase here

but, you did at least quote the right portion

You are claiming that intelligent design could produce dependency graphs which would in turn look like a nested set of clades, correct?

1 Like

Closer. I am not even discussing a possible cause. All I am discussing is the range of graph structures that can produce the evidence we see. This range is much broader than only an evolutionay tree

Hide it under a bushel?

If anything, we are talking about reverse engineering. You are looking to see what intelligent design would have to do in order to produce results that look like evolution. Compare this to the theory of evolution which predicts a nested hierarchy from first principles. If all we had was knowledge of mechanisms involved in evolution and genetics we would predict that we should see a nested hierarchy before comparing any species. This isn’t the case with intelligent design. There is absolutely no reason one would argue for a nested hierarchy based on the first principles of intelligent design. That’s the big difference here.

1 Like

not sure about that

one might not go out of their way to look for a nested hierarchy, but it seems plausible most intelligently designed artifacts will form nested clades when forced to do so

the real question is whether the evolutionary data is significantly more cladish than intelligently designed artifacts

and at least my analysis shows id artifacts are even more cladish than evolved artifacts

thus insofar as my analysis reproduces what professionals do, what they should actually be harping on is how badly the data fits a clade structure in order to support evolution

in other words, the perfectly nested clades actually appears to be better evidence for ID than it is for evolution

By the power vested in me by Methodological Naturalism (and Google), I hereby dub thee, Eric “Wrong Way” Holloway. :wink:

1 Like

you know all those fossils in the ground and all the continents? better evidence for ID than for evolution!

I see several problems with your analysis. Take my feedback with a large scoop of salt, of course, because I am neither a biologist nor a phylogeneticist.

(1) Bayesian priors. Biologists have observed well-established nested clades at the genus and family level that have diverged over relatively short periods of time. They therefore have a strong Bayesian prior that nested clades explain the ancestry of divergent forms over longer periods of time.

(2) Sequence data. The vast majority of the cladistic work in biology has been done with sequence data. Your critique, based as it is on gene accretions rather than sequence data, therefore fails to land any blows.

(3) Inapplicability of DAGs to existing genomic data. The DAG model relies implicitly on complete and error-free gene catalogs. The gene catalogs in the real world are neither. In the absence of suitable data, the DAG model is not ripe for consideration.

(4) DAGs are susceptible to overfitting. The universe of candidate DAGs is extremely large even for very limited datasets. Trees are in fact a tiny subset of all the possible DAGs. If DAGs provide several orders of magnitude more models to consider than trees, then the fact that I might find a better fit from the DAG pool than from the tree pool is quite likely an artifact of DAGs’ having more parameters to play with.

I hope you find this feedback useful, Eric.

Peace,
Chris

2 Likes

I don’t think this is quite right. The trees are built using sequence data, but phylogenetic signal is measured based on following discrete traits along the tree, and a gene can be one of these traits. So my simulation builds the kind of trees that are analyzed for phylogenetic signal.

Please correct me if wrong, this is what I’ve been able to gather from my investigation so far.

They are some good points, but still everyone is ignoring the glaring problem. Regardless of how wonderful or not my own analysis is, someone has to do it to even say the phylogenetic signal is evidence for evolution. Without my analysis, you all are stuck up a creek! The big circular question begging creek.

Evolution needs no more evidence than it had two centuries and in fact over two millennia ago. It’s common sense.

Could you explain why we would expect a nested hierarchy and only a nested hierarchy from intelligent design?

The question remains if your analysis is legit. It would seem better to use the methods other scientists use for determining phylogenetic signal.

It would also be interesting if you used something like automobiles as your ID artifacts. You could use traits like turbos, brand of tire, number of cylinders, and so on.

1 Like

problem is it isn’t clear that is what the data shows

i do grant that if the we can show biological history provides us with unique, perfect nested clades, then evolution is a pretty good explanation

I am not convinced the data can be decomposed into perfect nesting, nor that even if it could does that allow us to infer such about the history

i.e. my example random data set that provides better phylogentic signal than an evolved dataset

i also grant my own analysis is very lacking

but no one else is even asking this fundamental question without which their results are null and void

this phylogenetic signal stuff is just bad science, if what i am seeing is representative

and what does that entail if this bad science is representative of evolutionary theory in general?

i used to think evolution was a pretty solid theory, as even main IDist accept it

now i am not so sure the creationists might not be right…

Eric,

I appreciate your irenic approach to the discussion, and I hope you feel I have reciprocated. You do raise an interesting question from the frequentist perspective. Given the relative paucity of data for evaluating the virtually infinite number of models that could be considered, I think the biologists are on solid ground by (implicitly, perhaps) taking a Bayesian approach.

My $.02,
Chris

i am pretty sure their bayesian approach is merely circular argument by another name

you and the other interlocutors continually miss the fundamental point

yes, a tree is a more specific graph than a general DAG

BUT the problem is any data can be forced into a tree

that’s the fundamental problem

even @T_aquaticus admits that any data can be forced into a tree

so, the corrective action is supposedly to measure the phylogenetic signal

BUT from what I have seen so far, the phylogenetic signal is not actually a signal

it cannot signify whether the data is actually a good fit for a tree like history

it just regurgitates the fact we can fit any data to a tree

case in point is my demonstration that random data has a better phylogenetic signal than evolved data

i think i need to see indication that professional scientists understand this issue before i can take seriously the nested clades argument. otherwise, the fact that i an amateur can see a fundamental flaw in evolutionary theory that professionals cannot indicates something is rotten in the state of evolutionary theory, and casts the whole field in a bad light

i don’t believe i have a YEC or creationist bias. i think i am coming at this issue pretty objectively, and am happy to be proven wrong

Actually, we would expect noisy phylogenies from evolution, but that is nit picking.

Other phylogenetic methods don’t show this. Why? It would seem the problem lies in your method, not in the conclusions.

1 Like

can you point me to a paper substantiating your claim?

this is the sort of thing i have been requesting for awhile, and the lack of which motovated me to run this experiment