Fall Photos Around the World

But that’s two whole syllables – surely you don’t expect us northerners to manage that when we’re busy preparing for winter? :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey, if they can manage a whole extra letter in the word “color”, I’m pretty sure they’ll have no problem with an extra syllable here and there. Don’t get me started on what they’ve done to the pronunciation of “aluminum”. The language we share is more than a little promiscuous.

3 Likes

Well, didn’t they coin the term “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”?

3 Likes

Exactly. Definitely not parsimonious where syllables are concerned.

3 Likes

Not only the pronunciation but the spelling: aluminium.

My issue is with the pronunciation of ‘school’ – if ‘schedule’ is pronounced ‘shed-yool’, why isn’t ‘school’ pronounced ‘shool’? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Technically, you lovely folk removed a letter… just sayin’.

That’s true, we did and I’ll be first to admit that it is something quite atrocious and if you say it loud enough you’ll always sound precocious…

4 Likes

Where did you take that one?

Massachusetts – at an Episcopal retreat center with my wife’s church:

7 Likes

Those are wonderful fall color of the sort we can only dream of in coastal California. Long ago I started a group on flickr for great foliage and from that I put together what flickr calls “galleries”, which are albums of other people’s photos of great gold foliage - typical of autumn. Here are a couple of them, not ones I took myself and certainly not from around where I live.

5 Likes

wow–that 2d one looks a bit like the Butchart Gardens! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

That was from the top of Jockey Cap in Fryeburg, Maine. It’s a very short hike, but is close to the New Hampshire border so there are great views of Mount Washington and some other NH peaks.

2 Likes

I thought that too! We went there for the first time last fall (that’s “autumn”, for Liam) and while much of it had the charm of a theme park like Disneyland (as was the price of entry), but there was much to love. Especially the quarry garden:

Besides how can you not love a garden that lets you bring your furry kids in on leash?

4 Likes

Yes! My wife and I went there on our honeymoon, 13 years ago, after the Olympic National Forest. We stayed in Victoria and visited the “Waddling Dog” Pub :slight_smile: Good memories.

1 Like

First snow came today. View out of our back porch.

3 Likes

It did look decidedly New Hampshirish.

1 Like

I know of that trail…looks beautiful. Hopefully I can attach something below…

This is in the western suburbs of Chicago…if it prints

4 Likes

Moderator Christy…at the bottom of the screen it says “topic will close 10 years after the last reply”…is someone being silly? a typo? or they just love all the beautiful pix??

It was the only way to set things to keep the threads from automatically locking like they used to.

1 Like

Not Christy, but that is new default. It was found topics were closed too early, and sometimes someone wants to post on an old topic, so it was bumped out to allow that without having to get a moderator to open the topic.

1 Like

Not to mention our poor mods were constantly being tasked with reopening closed threads. This is a better solution. I assume it was easier to set an appropriately lengthy close-time than to get rid of it entirely.

1 Like