Fall Photos Around the World

Does anyone have Fall photos they’d like to upload from their corner of the world?

My sons and I walked the North Country Trail near White Cloud, Michigan, this week (it stretches from North Dakota to New York, like the Appalachian Trail does in the East). We saw no bear, but there was a surprise of some prickly pear in the autumn leaves.

!

I just learned from someone that this trail is thought to be part of the Underground Railroad that took slaves north to Michigan and Canada.

3 Likes

October 23 is the annual town festival where we live. Most towns have a patron saint, but we have a patron crucifix the townspeople believe has magical healing powers because it is hundreds of years old and was found unscathed in a crumbling chapel after a fire and an earthquake. The cool thing about the Señor del Nicho festival is that the whole town makes these amazing sawdust carpets on the streets where the crucifix will pass in a parade. People lay down on the street so that the statue can pass over them, which they believe will heal them or bless them or protect their pregnancies or whatever.

8 Likes

Wow! Those are incredible.

1 Like

I missed the peak season this year and most of my photos have been terrible, but this one has a little color in it. Sometimes the haze makes it difficult to see.

6 Likes

That was pretty sneaky starting this thread while I was away in L.A. without my laptop. Of course, living on the left coast we don’t have a proper fall anymore than we do a proper winter. Though we are catching up in the number of our seasons. Now, in addition to the wet and dry seasons, we also have fire season.

Here is a little fall color from my garden where persimmon leaves is about as good as it gets.

Typical of around here, even as the leaves of the birch in the distance yellow and fall, a brugmansia is blooming.

6 Likes

Beautiful! I can also see part of your garden in the background. It looks like a very peaceful place.

1 Like

Thank you Randy. On that next medical conference to S.F. come on by and I’ll make you tea in the garden and you can meet my missus and our furry kids.

1 Like

As we approach All Souls Day, here are some Fall pictures from Día de Muertos in Morelia, MX.

2 Likes

An annual ritual here this time of year is to put up 13 rolls of snow fence in the field north of our driveway.

1 Like

Not a lot of fall color here, but this time of year our “resurrection lilies “ bloom. Also called “magic lilies” or “naked ladies “. These bulbs lay dormant all summer, then the blooms sprout up on a bare stalk. The stalk will die back and foliage will grow through the winter.

5 Likes

Yesterday, the first snow, light and no drifting:

3 Likes

I’ll bet you already know that link isn’t working. Hope you can fix it. I always enjoy seeing naked ladies. :wink:

2 Likes

Haha. …:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fixed! Prettier in real life. Beautiful garden, Mark!

2 Likes

This is October at our annual mediation week in Alpbach Austria, the floweriest village in Europe. It is home of the European Forum and burial place of Erwin Schrödinger.

5 Likes

That looks like the one I’ve heard called Red Spider Lily. I was given a pink version but haven’t put it in the ground yet as I’m trying to decide where I could put it that it would like best. Now I wish I had the red one!

I need to divide them, will try or remember you next summer when dormant and send you some bulbs. it usually is a year before they bloom, but the foliage is attractive.

:smiley: I like having plants that come from various people in the garden and would be proud to have a Phil junior out there too.

This little bulb from South Africa blooms in February/March for me. If you don’t get too cold in the winter it might very well like you too. I’ve never divided it but should. Happy to send some along to you too. It’s called Lachenalia aloides.

They don’t actually glow but by a nice bit of serendipity sunlight slices through this fence tile and lights these little guys up in the late afternoon, while throwing everything around them into shade.

3 Likes

Oh, my. We still have heavy snowstorms in April up in Michigan. Makes me want to move my garden!

(Actually, I usually look up the weather in Yellowknife, NW Territories, on our cold days, and suddenly feel warm in comparison–negative 40 degrees is much worse than we get!).

1 Like

Well, you know, I don’t have any ‘Fall’ photos but we have a similar season here in the UK called ‘Autumn’ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Autumn, usually means rain, but that mean that sometimes, you gets to see one of these beauties:

5 Likes