Fall Beauty to Share

Anyone have beautiful pics from Northern Hemisphere fall scenes around them that our brothers and sisters on the forum from other areas can enjoy? Not exactly standard Biologos material, but it’s science and nature!. Place: West Michigan (I live here now; the hut alludes to Niger, where I spent my childhood. I sent a copy to my brother, who lives there still, so his kids can see the photos of what’s going on now)

2 Likes

In a coastal California garden a persimmon tree is about as good as it gets for fall color.

2 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you

1 Like

I live in a coastal Connecticut town. The fall has been warm so far, so it isn’t so colorful yet. Besides, there is a Nor’easter bearing down on the coast!

1 Like

Well, it is about the fall…

7 Likes

Great pun! Thanks!

1 Like

Wonder if @Truth_Seeker and other Aussies can tell me if there are maples and others transplanted there that turn colors in March where you live? I know that happens but wondering. Autumn leaves - Curious

1 Like

Did you ever see a maple’s samara this color before? This is from the Japanese garden at Butchart gardens in Victoria, Canada where we visited last month.

1 Like

I don’t even know what a samara is, but Becky and I went to Butchart on our honeymoon in '06–it was beautiful. I’m sure it would be great for fall. That is a unique color–thanks!

1 Like

This was my first visit there. Gardens are my passion. I’ve been making one for about 25 years now. Honestly I wasn’t going to visit because it just seemed so big and commercial. I like seeing gardens made by people over a long period for themselves. But when I learned they allowed dogs on leash I had to go. Dogs are another important thing for me.

My favorite part of the garden is where the quarry used to be. My photos weren’t that good this time but this shows it pretty well.

Oh, and here is the little guy who accompanied the wife and I there, though this was taken near the Bloedel Conservatory of Flowers in Vancouver.

1 Like

Beautiful! We liked the quarry too. Nice dog! We stayed at the inn/pub “The Waddling Dog” in Victoria–my brother in law’s family is from Abbotsford and he recommended it. Did you get a chance to explore there too? Beautiful Pacific Northwest temperate rainforest there.

It’s more flowering trees that are popular here rather than the classic, autumn orange leaf. Aussies love the Jacaranda tree. It’s everywhere. The colours are awesome and they keep the Drop Bears away. We generally only get ‘orange’ trees after a fire has ripped through the bush :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This morning as I was riding bike in to church, I was in a bit of a hurry - but then God’s creation took one look at this hustling cyclist and said: “So you’re in a hurry??? I don’t think so. Here’s what you’re gonna do. You’re gonna get off your bike, get your camera device out of your backpack, and you’re gonna mosey around this quiet neighborhood street snapping some photos.” And that was the theme of my ride home too. I wish it was only praise and celebration here, but alas; read on after the photos below.

Two of the above were afternoon shots on my way home from church, but this last one with the moon and the color variety in it was taken in the very same hour [or 24 hours later rather! – I obviously didn’t have my ear to the news earlier, and thought this happened this morning!] that a shooter in Pittsburg was spewing forth his violent hatreds. This picture is dedicated to those peaceful people killed in that horrific event. They were no threat to anybody whatsoever. I cannot let the dead here go un-honored (and all the other people dying violent deaths every day in other parts of the world away from media attention). Even though they are still reeling under the horrors of Saturday’s events, they will want voices heard.

2 Likes

You’ll have to wait for pictures of Connecticut foliage, but meanwhile, here’s a picture I took today of an Autumn Display in Rockefeller Center.

2 Likes

And ice skating already at Rockefeller Center. That’s about the fall also.

2 Likes

Nice Australian connection with the blue heeler

2 Likes

What are “drop bears”? Jacarandas are beautiful. We didn’t have them where we lived in Niger, but I have seen them in photos. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Jacaranda1212.jpg/1200px-Jacaranda1212.jpg

1 Like

@beaglelady, What? skating now? Beautiful spot and pumpkins. Thanks.

1 Like

Drop Bears (or Thylarctos plummetus) look a lot like Koalas. Only they’re carnivorous. They live in the trees where they stalk their prey, usually in the form of Tourists. When they spot a potential victim they drop from their perch and land upon the poor soul’s back for a take down.

Some say they aren’t even Koalas at all, that they just use their skins to blend in and seem harmless. Others say only Vegemite can keep them away. But no one is sure what works 100% to prevent an attack, except staying out of the bush.

Sometimes you’ll hear the odd tale of survival from a local in the pub. But they usually have no real evidence, save for scars on their head and shoulders. And those could just as easily have been caused by Gopecks instead.

2 Likes

Oh, my! that sounds like Australia has much worse than tiger snakes that live in your toilet!

Vegemite keeps everyone away (we have Marmite here, but I did like Vegemite when my Aussie missionary neighbor kids invited us over for breakfast with it spread on toast).

Apparently Drop Bears are similar to American western jackalopes. "Tourists are the main targets of such stories.[8][9] These tales are often accompanied by advice that the hearer adopt various tactics purported to deter drop bear attacks – including placing forks in the hair, having Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears or in the armpits, urinating on oneself, and only speaking English in an Australian accent.[5][10][full citation needed] "–From Wikipedia-. Thanks for the laugh! I just read this to my wife. But what are “gopecks”? I couldn’t find them on Google.

I wonder where carnivorous koalas fit on the evolutionary tree.

2 Likes