Evidence for evolutionary creationism

Dear Dale,

How much time do you think I have to respond to every post in the past 24 hours?
But after looking back up this post it would appear to be about 14 hours ago. I don’t know where you are but different time zones around the planet further exacerbate delays in responses.
I have earmarked to look into the article at How Old are the Hawaiian Islands? - BioLogos
As you have not answered the straightforward question I put to you, regarding your baseless accusations, I will ask it again:
Precisely, WHERE have I appealed to the flood??? and to magically answer what question?

Cheers,
jon

I will repeat:

1 Like

Dear Dale, fair enough regarding the rocks in the Atacama Desert, I do not know enough about them to make a qualified response without doing more research, but in that same post, I did ask with regard to your entry [quote=“Dale, post:87, topic:52297”]
New evidence always supports the antiquity of the earth, and it continues to build.
[/quote]

so what is this new evidence? If I haven’t missed it, I’ve yet to receive a list of the ‘new’ evidence that you are referring to.

Regards,
jon

Mine says 1 day – I’ve posted it more than once because you were ignoring it, as YECs are wont to do. I can only conclude intentional ignorance since it’s such a powerful argument.

Dear Dale, the entry I found was 14 hours:

but I accept that you posted it some hours earlier than that.

I assure you I wasn’t ignoring anything, I have pressures on my time and can only make entries when I have a few minutes spare. The speed that you race to ‘intentional ignorance’ is not warranted or welcome.

As you clearly attest to an old Earth in ‘deep time’ of at the very least hundreds of millions of years, how do you explain the rapidly increasing volume of organic dinosaur proteins in dinosaur bones?
As far as I have read through this post, I have not seen anyone approach this, to quote you, ‘since it’s such a powerful argument’.

Regards,
jon

Within 15 years is pretty new. Have you heard about girdled rocks?

This looks like it’s less than 15 years as well:

1 Like

That does not sound like you have the story straight. Do you have a citation?

ETA: Upon a cursory review, it looks like maybe @jammycakes addressed that here?

I’ve seen that list. It’s a bit short, isn’t it? The Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge alone graduates that many PhD physicists every two years.

When assessing challenges to the scientific consensus, we should look at the substance of the arguments that such people are making and ask whether or not they consist of honest reporting and honest interpretation of accurate information. We should not be impressed by lists of scientists with contrarian views alone: such lists are a common tactic used by lobbying groups with deep pockets when their own vested interests run up against hard scientific reality. It is a playbook that was pioneered by the tobacco industry in the 1950s and 1960s when evidence started to mount that smoking causes cancer, and it is now being replicated by the oil industry in their efforts to deny the reality of man-made climate change.

The problem is, it isn’t accurate.

Its description of how radiometric dating works is a gross over-simplification for starters. As I’ve already pointed out, there are forms of radiometric dating, such as isochron dating, that do not make the assumptions that young earthists claim that they make.

In any case, even when radiometric techniques do make assumptions, you can’t just cry “assumptions” as if it were some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card. You need to address the reasoning behind those assumptions and provide evidence that they could have been violated in ways that are consistent both with your alternative scenario and with the evidence and measurements that we actually see in reality. Anything less is vacuous hand-waving that tells us nothing.

Now about the example that he cites. It is one thing to show that some radiometric methods can occasionally be out by a factor of two or so, especially when dealing with older methods and/or samples with a more complex geological history. But it is a completely different matter to show that all radiometric methods, including newer ones applied to much more geologically straightforward settings, are consistently overestimating ages by up to six orders of magnitude, right across the board. Young earthists love to scour the scientific literature for examples of cases where radiometric dating can be spun as being “unreliable” or “reinterpreted.” But such examples are routinely blown completely out of all proportion. They will gleefully cite results from older, more basic forms of radiometric dating (such as K-Ar in this case) and samples with a complex geological history that are difficult to date reliably, and present these as if they somehow proved that more modern techniques and more straightforward cases must also somehow be in error. But they never produce a credible explanation as to how the same results could have come about in their own alternative timescale. The only explanation that they do attempt—accelerated nuclear decay—is not even remotely credible.

Incidentally, I came across this video recently that goes into some detail explaining all about how radiometric dating actually works in reality. It provides an explanation of the reasoning behind the various “assumptions”, how scientists can identify which rock formations can be reliably dated and which ones can not, and factors that might affect the outcome. As you will see, it is most certainly not just a case of blind assumptions or arbitrary interpretation as young earthists claim.

4 Likes

Dear Dale, well I have read the article on the Hawaiian Island and see that it is more of the same ‘deep time’ belief that pervades the thinking, hence the conclusions similarly end up arguing for millions upon millions of years. That worldview makes no sense to me anymore, now that I understand the evidence from a scientific and Biblical perspective.

A short article by Tas Walker from CMI explains the situation well and follows below:

The Hawaiian hot spot and the Bible

The traditional ‘hot spot’ volcanism’ hypothesis for the formation of the Hawaiian islands could easily be incorporated into a creationist scenario such as Catastrophic Plate Tectonics.

The traditional ‘hot spot’ volcanism’ hypothesis for the formation of the Hawaiian islands could easily be incorporated into a creationist scenario such as Catastrophic Plate Tectonics. Credit: wikipedia.org

This week’s feedback features two questions from correspondents in Australia. Paul R. asks how the origin of the Hawaiian island can be explained according to the Bible, and Dr Tas Walker responds. Will R. asks how scientific ‘proof’ relates to the truth of creation and the Bible, and Lita Sanders responds.

Paul R. from Australia writes:

Dear friends I was wondering if you could shed some light on the argument over the formation of the Hawaiian Islands. The long-age uniformitarian argument puts their age at 20 million years and sea-floor spreading as the likely catalyst for their chain-like structure and sea action for the level of erosion. What are your views?

CMI’s Tas Walker responds:

The mainstream story for how the Hawaiian Islands formed is that the Pacific plate slowly moved over a stationary “hot spot” welling up in the earth’s mantle, which progressively caused a series of volcanic eruptions that produced the string of volcanic islands. A change in direction of the movement of the plate caused the direction of the islands to change, which is why there is a kink in the line of islands.

This idea was around before there were any radioactive dates done on the basalts.

An adaption of that story could easily be incorporated into a creationist scenario such as Catastrophic Plate Tectonics. The main difference would be the dates. The islands would all be post-Flood, that is younger than about 4,500 years.

One of the characteristics of the magma (lava) that erupts on these islands is that it is very rich in radiogenic argon. Samples from the islands regularly give ages that are far too old. We quote examples on creation.com of lava observed to have erupted in the last 200 years on those islands that gave ages of many millions of years. So, the potassium-argon ages quoted are by no means definitive and there is a good precedent for not accepting them.

An adaption of that story could easily be incorporated into a creationist scenario such as Catastrophic Plate Tectonics.

Hot spots have been a very popular story for explaining all sorts of geological features. However, it is worth remembering that they represent a speculative story about the past and that they have not actually been observed. Over the last ten years there have been some geological papers that have expressed skepticism of the concept.1 It is possible that the real explanation is quite different. For example, the islands may simply represent eruptions from a couple of linear fissures in the ocean floor. There is scope for someone with detective skills to do some more research on this issue. A good place to begin is by searching creation.com for relevant key words.

Will R. from Australia writes:

I’m very familiar with your material and searched your website for information to address a specific question that was asked of me: “I’ve heard it said by a minister that creation cannot be scientifically proved. It must be accepted by faith. “I think there’s plenty of evidence for Creation but I admit to being stumped by the way the question was asked. Can you please help with an answer, specifically the best Scriptures to use in response?

CMI’s Lita Sanders responds:

Dear Will,

Strictly speaking, nothing can be proved scientifically, because the scientific method can only disprove things. For instance, we can scientifically disprove the statement “all crows are black” by producing an albino crow. But we could never prove the statement, because we could never have access to all the relevant data—in this case, all the crows in the world.

But the issue of creation versus evolution isn’t primarily a scientific question, so it makes even less sense to try to prove it scientifically. Rather, it is a historical question. As N.T. Wright explained:

“There are, after all, different types of knowing. Science studies the repeatable; history studies the unrepeatable. Caesar only crossed the Rubicon once, and if he’d crossed it again it would have meant something different the second time. There was, and could be, only one first landing on the moon. The fall of the second Jerusalem Temple took place in AD 70 and never happened again. Historians don’t see this as a problem and are usually not shy about declaring that these events certainly took place, even though we can’t repeat them in a laboratory.

“But when people say, ‘But that can’t have happened because we know that that sort of thing doesn’t actually happen,’ they are appealing to a would-be scientific principle of history, namely, the principle of analogy. The problem with analogy is that it never quite gets you far enough. History is full of unlikely things that happened once and once only, with the result that the analogies are often at best partial. In any case, if someone declares that certain kinds of events ‘don’t normally happen’ that merely invites the retort, ‘Who says?’ …

“So how does the historian work when the evidence points toward things that we do not normally expect? … [S]ooner or later questions of worldview begin to loom in the background, and the question of what kinds of material the historian will allow onstage is inevitably affected by the worldview in which he or she lives.”2

That’s not to say that science has no input in helping to determine historical matters, otherwise our ministry would be wasting money hiring so many Ph.D. scientists. Rather, it simply means that science can’t have the final word; a reliable eyewitness testimony will always carry more weight in answering historical questions. And that is what we believe we have in the Bible, God’s word.

However, it is also clear that there is overwhelmingly powerful independent evidence in the world around us that God created. That is affirmed in Romans:

“For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20]

That is why design in the natural world is a very powerful evidence for the presence, power and nature of the Creator, one that we should learn how to use (read this experience of Daniel H from northern England). Further, archaeology provides good evidence for the reliability of the Bible. And finally, when we start with the biblical framework of history and use it to interpret what happened in the past (such as in geology, geography, biology and astronomy) we find it works.

Sincerely,

Lita Sanders
Information Officer
Creation Ministries International

Published: 28 May 2011

References

1. Jordon, B.T., The mantle plume debate in undergraduate geoscience education: overview, history and recommendations: in; Foulger, D.R. and Jurdy, D.M. (eds), Plates, Plumes and Planetary Processes, The Geological Society of America, Special Paper 430, 933–944, 2007; “Mantle plume theory has been widely, but not universally, accepted in the geosciences for several decades, but recent critical evaluation has led to an intense debate regarding the existence of mantle plumes.” Return to text.
  2. Wright, N.T., Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church, HarperOne, New York, pp. 64–65, 2008. Return to text.

All the best,
jon

You are correct in saying that my claims were not sufficiently accurate. To be more accurate, I should have written that I have not seen or read any convincing evidence supporting the claims that the Earth and life are young or that there has been a global flood that covered the whole Earth.
It seems that there are no convincing evidence for these claims because I do not know peer-reviewed scientific publications showing that these claims would be credible conclusions based on the scientific observations. I do not count ‘creation science’-type journals as scientific publications because they do not have the general criteria of scientific journals; they start by assuming that a particular interpretation of biblical scriptures is valid and then try to fit observations to that framework.

Please note that the claims of young Earth, young life, or global flood are not religious as such, even atheists could accept them if there would be sufficient evidence for these claims. They would be just observations and conclusions that need to be explained. Atheists could invent some other explanations than creation, while believers would see them as evidence pointing towards a recent creation. As such, credible conclusions based on scientific findings could be published as normal scientific publications without any reference to Bible, Creator or Designer.

There are different explanations and suggested models about what has happened in the distant past. These explanations can be evaluated by looking what kind of predictions these hypotheses (or theories) make and how well the observations fit to the predictions. If a detail could fit to one hypothesis (/theory), that does not tell much if the same observation fits also to other hypotheses. What matters is the cumulative evidence as well as observations that do not agree with the core predictions of one hypothesis/theory. For example, if there are sufficiently strong evidence showing that the age of the Earth (and life) exceeds 100’000 years, that detail alone refutes any hypotheses claiming that the Earth is <50’000 years old. Based on what I have read, there are multiple lines of evidence showing that the age of Earth is much more than 100’000 years.

2 Likes

It doesn’t account for the correlation between distance and radiometric measurements, nor the fact that the correlation matches direct GPS measurements of modern day continental drift.

1 Like

Dear knor, as I have stated previously we will have to agree to disagree. The general thrust of the old age deep time arguments, for me at least are not credible at any level. We obviously see the world we live in very differently.

An article at Biologos age earth that was published by CMI over a decade ago describes the ‘deep time’ position that’s evidently still supported by the Biologos organisation from what I have seen thus far as a newcomer to the Biologos forum site.

BioLogos and the age of the earth: Pushing an anti-biblical doctrine

by Shaun Doyle and Tas Walker

It’s abundantly clear to me that there is considerable hostility towards Christians who adhere to the straightforward correct Biblical teaching of the creation having occurred around about six thousand years ago. I see little to be gained by continuing wresting and fending off the preconceived stereotype into which I have immediately be thrown by some on this site. i am thick skinned and it doesn’t worry me, but I do worry about the millions in the valley of decision. As Christians we need to consider the lost and be faithful to the clear record of scripture.
Ultimately, all will know the truth regarding when and how God created everything that has been made including time.

All the best,
jon

• Either believing Genesis is history, by the Bible’s standards, isn’t necessary to be a genuine Christian or it is not.
  • According to Creation Ministries International, It is not; however, according to the same source, it is integral to the Gospel and Jesus is literally irrelevant if you don’t believe Genesis is history.
    • Conclusion: Believing Genesis is history is and is not necessary to salvation, according to Creation Ministries International.

[Source: Do I have to believe in a historical Genesis to be saved?]

Dear Terry, regarding your post:

I think that you may have not understood the thrust of the article.
The relevant summary is:
“Simply put, believing Genesis is history, by the Bible’s standards, isn’t necessary to be a genuine Christian.”
The Good News of Salvation or if you prefer, the Gospel is about Jesus the Son, paying the price required by Gods Holy nature for us through His great Love for us all, the wages of sin is death, to reinstate mankind’s original position with God from the fallen state that we presently find ourselves in, being all related across every nation on this planet to the federal head of mankind “the first Adam” who rebelled against God in the real Garden of Eden that was a very good creation, completely devoid of the death of ‘nephesh’ animals.
People who believe that evolution is how the diversity of animals came to exist such as those I have encountered on this Biologos website, through belief in the alleged Evolutionary mechanism, are by default believers in death before sin as the survival of the fittest via natural selection supposedly played itself out over eons of time until we reach humanity. That belief system is not only faulty, it is not Biblical at every level, and it ultimately causes problems in the attempt to make sense of why Jesus came incarnate to Earth as a man to be our kinsman redeemer.
The vast majority of Hebrew scholars both secular and Jew and Christian all have stated that the text in Genesis 1 - 11 is historical narrative; to say otherwise not only denies the consensus view of Hebrew historians, but also denies plain common sense when anyone from a child to an elderly average person reads the text, it is plainly informing us what happened. It IS HISTORY!

You can read the article that you referenced again below:

Do I have to believe in a historical Genesis to be saved?

by Shaun Doyle

Flickr: Ian B-M7790-bible-genesis

Do we have to believe Genesis is reliable history to be saved?

The Bible lays out some basic truths we have to believe to be saved:

• There is one true God.
  • He sent Jesus to die for our sins.
  • He raised Jesus from the dead.
  • Jesus is fully God and fully man.

That there is one true god is integral to the whole Bible. It was Israel’s main confession: “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one” (Deut. 6:4). God’s first command to them was “you shall have no other gods before me” (Exo. 20:3). But while belief in the one true God is necessary, it’s not sufficient.

Jesus Christ sets Christian faith apart from any other ‘one god’ religion. God sent his Son (John 3:16) to die for our sins (1 Cor. 15:3). God’s Son is Jesus Christ, and he is truly a man (1 Tim. 2:5). But God also raised Jesus from the dead (Rom. 10:9). The Gospel is how God fully reveals Himself (Heb. 1:1–4) and saves us (Rom. 4:25). These are necessary, but still not sufficient.

The last factor is that Jesus is “Lord” (Rom. 10:9). In Rom. 10:8–13 Paul says that calling Jesus “Lord” is the same as calling him by the name for Israel’s God—YHWH. In Romans 10:13, Paul, talking about Jesus, quotes Joel 2:32. In the original Hebrew, “Lord” in Joel 2:32 is “YHWH”. So Paul calls Jesus “YHWH”—Israel’s God! Therefore, Paul says that confessing “Jesus is YHWH” is necessary for salvation.

Simply put, believing Genesis is history, by the Bible’s standards, isn’t necessary to be a genuine Christian.

Turning from our sin and personally trusting in this God, this Christ, and this death and resurrection is how we are saved. But I didn’t once need to reference believing that Genesis is history. Simply put, believing Genesis is history, by the Bible’s standards, isn’t necessary to be a genuine Christian.

But there is a very important “but”. The history of Genesis is integral to the Gospel. If there was no literal Adam and Eve in a literal garden with a literal tree and a literal deceiver, and there wasn’t a literal Fall—then Jesus is literally irrelevant. So, someone who believes the above but doesn’t believe that Genesis records literal history is a Christian, but they are an inconsistent Christian.

We all have an amazing capacity to live with inconsistency. We may think we’re right in what we believe, but we’re not always right. So, we should treat all who confess those essential truths as family. However, inconsistency on something so integral to the gospel can lead (and has led) many away from the faith. So we also need to lovingly correct them because they are walking a dangerous path.

First published: 7 November 2013
Re-featured on homepage: 27 September 2022

Best Regards,
jon

We agree that we disagree.

By the way, did you note that you listed quite many methods that can be used in the dating of past history? You copied YEC texts from elsewhere to show that these methods may contain errors but did you think why all these methods point to the same direction, that the world is older than what YEC claims?
If there are ten or more witnesses telling crudely the same thing, we usually believe that they tell of a real event even if any one of the witnesses may have misunderstood some detail. You listed at least the following witnesses:

• radioactive dating methods (several independent methods [witnesses])
  • tree rings
  • varves
  • ice cores
  • speleothems (cave formations)
  • corals
  • thermoluminescence
  • electron spin resonance
  • cosmic ray exposure

Instead of these witnesses, you suggest “There is only one way to reliably know the age of anything and that is by eyewitness testimony, on the basis of their written records.”. This is a desperate attempt when we are speaking of something that happened long before written history.

Who were the eyewitnesses when God created the Earth? Who made written records of how the creation happened? In what language were these records written?

The ANE world was a world of speaking, not writing. Stories were told from mouth to ear, they were memorized and repeated but rarely written anywhere. For example, Moses could not have written the Hebrew texts we read in the Torah because Moses lived before the modern Hebrew language formed. It is very possible, even likely, that Moses wrote something but the stories were mainly passed orally and those telling needed to present the stories so that new generations could understand, for example translate from older languages to following ones. We do not know if Moses wrote the first chapters of Genesis, if he collected older oral stories about creation, or was the authoritative person whose name was put on older stories told by others. Yet, we do know something about the way the ANE people understood such stories and how the original listeners were likely to understand what was told. It is evident that they understood the Genesis stories in a very different way than a person educated and living in a modern world.

4 Likes

None of the layers preserved in the geologic column are compatible with a single completely global flood:

Milankovitch Cycles superimposed on longer-term cycles in sea level (which describes pretty much all Neogene shallow marine deposits) do not fit with a single global flood. Each one requires at least a century or so the form, given the directly measured lifespans of the organisms in the layers, and the fact that the sediment has not been transported: one can find exposed Crepidula in stacks, fragile shells the size of my hand, and mud that takes a week to fall out of still water all in the same deposit.

3 Likes

There’s something you need to understand here.

The hostility isn’t towards Christians who adhere to a particular approach to the Genesis creation narrative. The hostility is towards Christians who make claims in support of their approach that are factually untrue, misleading, conspiratorial, or antagonistic towards science.

It’s as simple as this. If you are going to critique scientific discoveries, you MUST make sure that you are getting your facts straight. Claiming that scientists make assumptions that they do not is lying. Claiming that the assumptions that they do make are not testable when in fact they are is lying. Claiming that assumptions are a get-out-of-jail-free card when they are not is lying. Claiming that reasoning is circular when it is not is lying. Claiming that outliers are representative of the entire body of evidence is lying. Claiming that new, improved techniques must be unreliable because their older, more rudimentary predecessors are unreliable is lying. Exaggerating the extent and significance of unreliability in those techniques is lying. Fudging measurements is lying. Quote mining is lying. And repeating falsehoods after having been told that they are falsehoods is lying.

I for one don’t have any objection to the possibility of the Earth being just six thousand years old. But I do have a problem with bad arguments, falsehoods and conspiracy theories being presented in support of such a possibility. I have a problem with antagonistic or denialist attitudes towards honest science in the Church. I have a problem when people with science degrees make arguments that fail GCSE mathematics or demonstrate an ignorance or denial of basic measurement or laboratory techniques. And I have a problem with demands that I lower my standards of rigour and attention to detail in order to accommodate doctrines that are nothing more than a cartoon caricature of the Bible with a thick layer of science fiction slathered on top of it. Such things are bad for science, bad for society, bad for our young people, and bad for the witness of the Body of Christ to the world.

7 Likes

Shaun Doyle and Tas Walker do not address the elephant in the room here: that radiometric ages in places such as the Hawaiian islands increase linearly with distance. This is not an assumption of constant rates over millions of years; it is a test of the assumption of constant rates over millions of years. This is because we are talking about the ratio of two independent rates: radiometric decay and continental drift. If these had varied in the past within a young earth timescale, these would have to have varied by a factor of many millions in complete lock-step with each other. Besides the fact that both accelerated nuclear decay and catastrophic plate tectonics are complete science fiction, and would have vaporised the Earth’s crust many times over if they had any basis in reality, the changes in the respective rates would have become non-linear looooooooooong before they reached that point. Accelerating two independent rates such as these in complete lock-step with each other by that kind of magnitude is not even remotely plausible.

As for sources, @Joel_Duff provides these in his blog post on the subject:

So no, it is not an unsubstantiated assertion.

6 Likes
  • I think you take me for a brain-dead fool and that hurts my feelings, annoys the bejeezus out of me, and–surprise! surprise!–evokes some hostility in me.
  • Thanks, but no thanks! You’re failing to point out that what you call “the relevant summary” of the article that I’ve read and have a link to, … the article which you repeat, word for word, in your post, doesn’t just say:
    • “Simply put, believing Genesis is history, by the Bible’s standards, isn’t necessary to be a genuine Christian.”

• It also says:
    • “But there is a very important “but”. The history of Genesis is integral to the Gospel. If there was no literal Adam and Eve in a literal garden with a literal tree and a literal deceiver, and there wasn’t a literal Fall—then Jesus is literally irrelevant.”

• Come again??? What kind of Gospel are you trying to pass off as The Gospel?
  • You (and the article that you quote, ad nauseum) start with “Simply put” and then you add
    • "But there is a very important “but”.

• I don’t know where you learned English, but I learned English here in the U.S. Where I come from: Simply put means “This and no “buts”, and yet you, the article, and all of Young Earth Creationism say: But there is a very important “but”. And I holler: "Foul!, you added a ‘but’ to the Gospel which has no ‘buts’.” And where I come from, we call that “preaching another Gospel”!!!
  • At the risk of “beating a dead horse” with no constructive result, I’m going to try to point out to you exactly where you go wrong.
2 Likes
  • First, you (et al.) speak of “the Gospel” and then immediately rush headlong into your “creed”. Your problem, as I see it, is that you have equated “the Gospel” with “your creed” and, in doing so, you’ve ceased to bear witness to the Gospel and are bearing witness to your creed.
  • What, then, should you be doing? IMO, understanding the difference between “the Gospel” and “your creed”. And I say: that starts when you understand that absolutely nothing changes Jesus’ relevance. Jesus was, is, and always will be relevant.
  • Saying that Jesus ceases to be relevant when a person fails to acknowledge the historicity of every sentence in Genesis is either ignorant or willful bibliolatry.
  • In what world can a person be a genuine Christian AND make Jesus irrelevant???
2 Likes