Dying in the Name of Vaccine Freedom

I do hope you get vaccinated.

I am reminded of the old joke about the flood. Have you heard it?

A flood came and the man refused to leave home, expecting God to save him.

First, a deputy in a jeep came to the rescue. The man said, “No, I am waiting on God to save me.”

Then the water rose and the man retreated to the second floor of his house. A boat came by. The man said, “No, I am waiting on God to save me.”

Then the water rose and the man perched on the chimney on the roof. A National Guard (may God bless them!) came by. The man said, “No, I am waiting on God to save me.”

The man drown. At heaven’s gates, he asked God why He did not save him.

God said, “I sent you a Jeep, a boat, and a helicopter. What did you want?”

God has sent you a vaccine. Take it.

7 Likes

Agree. The serpent has been raised on the staff. Look on it and be healed.
One thing that we tend to put together but I think we should encourage people to look at, is that you can oppose mandatory vaccination, and still make a rational decision to get the vaccine. Some people tend to think they are the same.

5 Likes

Somebody today told me that when fatalities are counted in hospitals, they are counting partially (one jab) vaccinated people as ‘unvaccinated’, ostensibly in order to inflate how well the vaccination works. I realize that may be a grey area as to how to count them, but it doesn’t take much to stimulate people’s conspiracy sensitivity. Had anybody heard of this?

Also he charged that the media is failing to distinguish between people who are dying of COVID from people who are merely dying with COVID. I know that this has been covered before here or in other threads - but does anybody have any updates or references to sources to confirm or give answer to this?

I would say that they are counting people as “unvaccinated” not to inflate how well the vaccination works but because, strictly speaking, those people aren’t fully vaccinated. The CDC has even stated that you’re not “fully vaccinated” until two weeks after the second shot.

Here’s an article you might find interesting.

2 Likes

Thanks. Sounds like much of it is still just fuel for the expert doubters. At least as of February, though all those professional standards would still apply now.

I think it’s unlikely that anything will convince them, if I’m going to be honest.

To calculate the number of people who have died from COVID, and those whose deaths have been hastened by Covid, the best approach is a statistical one taken by The Economist in numerous studies:
Compare the expected deaths based on recent history to the actual reported deaths.

If, under normal conditions based on historical data there would be 900,000 deaths in a geographic area during a particular time period
and
If actual deaths totaled 2,000,000 during that particular time period in that geographical region, then we can attribute 1,100,000 to Covid as the combination of very premature deaths and slightly premature deaths.

Fortunately, the disease targets the very old and largely ignores the young. As a grandfather, I prefer it that way.

Very noble.

Maybe the very old who are unvaccinated. The young are not being ignored except by antimaskers and antivaxxers insisting on their ‘rights’ and unwilling to protect the more vulnerable.

Nearly 27% of the cases recorded in the week leading up to Sept. 2 were in children.

I expect it will get higher. When did schools start?

Yes, lots are children are testing positive for Covid. Many are asymptotic. Only a very, very few are at risk of any serious problem.

It is inaccurate to say that antimaskers and antivaxers are ignoring children; most may be simply recognizing that their risks are minuscule.

2 Likes

Yeah, why put kids in carseats.

1 Like

Hyperbolic even. :slightly_smiling_face:

Based on what data? Oh, very, very short-term, and before schools have been open even two weeks.

Even those who are asymptomatic could have issues down the road. You don’t know where and what microclots can do, and some of the proteins can apparently cross the blood-brain barrier.

This isn’t a case in point, because these are known victims, but it is indicative of prolonged risk with this disease, and maybe you’ve heard of long COVID:

2 Likes

Uh, no.

1 Like

We should ask how many children are considered expendable. I get the feeling that all older people are considered expendable.

1 Like

That is what is frustrating about church. I’m expendable to myself, but my wife would have a very difficult time without me. As I was reminded the other day, I only have one kidney (I think about it almost never), and we have some rabid antivaxxers, let alone antimaskers.

2 Likes

The concern, as it was with Hep A vaccination program, is that asymptomatic children bring the virus home to their elderly grandparents and parents. It takes a village :slight_smile:

(In regard to Hepatitis A, the CDC and ACIP recommend immunizing children so that they don’t pick it up in the community and bring it home to their family members. Children and the young do fairly well with it, though they can feel like mono and turn yellow; but it’s a killer for many older folks, especially those with diabetes and liver problems. The scenario is much like Covid). Thanks.

It’s a temptation to try to reason this through from our own perspectives, but honestly, CDC has done that from every perspective, better than I have. They have way more information and expertise than we do. Time and again, every time I look into this, as a family doc, I learn that I have reason to trust them.

5 Likes

What really frustrates me is that oftentimes, the people who refuse to wear masks also refuse to get vaccinated. And these are often Christians.

If you’re a Christian and you are unvaccinated, and you go into a place without a mask but where masks are required if you are unvaccinated, you are LYING. And putting other people at risk.

2 Likes

I agree that kids taking home disease to grandparents is a risk.

Parents will know if their kids are likely to see their grandparents or not.

Yes, good question, but don’t you think that the parents’ carrying it and acquiring it from their kids is also a risk? Those hospitalized with Delta are also younger. Again, I have to fall back on CDC. Thanks.

3 Likes

Yes, that is also a risk. We live in a word of risks, risk management, and balancing risk with inconvenience/depression/lost wages/stunted academic development/etc.

We cannot eliminate risks.

Where should the decision be made? Some argue for blanket one-size-fits-all decisions at the federal level. Others argue for decisions by parents who can take their children’s specific situations into account.

And for their own wellbeing, surgeons and oriental schoolchildren should not wear masks. Yeah, we get it.