Does Morality come from God, Evolution or both?

I should be shot in the face for that missing apostrophe.

Would that be a rational certainty or a mathematical one? :wink:

A RIGHTEOUS one!

1 Like

Quoting what stood out to me from posts 100-183. I’ve been thinking quite a lot about this whole topic. I’ll post something about all that soon, for records sake as I do realise the overall discussion has petered out.

This has been a very interesting discussion. Where else on the internet do people talk through such deep themes - if there are other sources (Reddit threads?) let me know but I consider this chat forum here on BioLogos would literally be one the best.

I’ve reflected quite a bit on the themes, they touch on so many elements. Here are my main thoughts:

1. The evolution of morality itself has been a human process. It has been very much tied to the evolution of religion. As human groups came together more - they needed something to curve the destructive instincts that would rear up in social groupings. They needed an effective mechanism to punish/create fear of punishment but also to unite - which religion does extremely well. Religion also gave reasonable templates for understanding unexplainable or scary phenomena (like lighting and why a crop failed and village starved etc). In this sense religion was extremely adaptive.

2. Still today religious belief acts as a foundation which much has been built upon. Really, the “why” we should not do this or do that - is based on our religious history (I still choose to swear on the Bible if I’ve written a report for court for this reason, out of respect).

3. Somewhat ironically, religion very much obscured the truth of how we actually came to be (evolution, sigh). Religion’s various origin stories were way off the mark as pertains to the actual picture from a factual perspective. One can’t be blamed for thinking that if the higher powers religion speaks of were actually imparting the knowledge and were ‘over’ the evolutionary process … that they might have revealed to us how we actually came about (in a way they people then could understand). You’d also think there’d be at least a bit more uniformity in religion across time and space, if they were reflecting actual truths. Indeed, when you think about it … which statement makes greater sense to the human experience ‘we evolved and part of that evolution was the creation of all kinds of weird, wonderful and sometimes wretched belief systems, including all kinds of gods and a God’ OR ‘this one strain of religious thought from the [ancient Middle East] or [insert personal preference here] is actually the right one’?? I mean it’s a hard reality to face but in answering the question and using Occam’s razor - it’s obviously the first. If you had to literally bet your house on it - which option would you choose?? This does not mean there is not a higher power of course - I believe there very much is - but I believe humanity has been grasping at and trying to reach and understand that reality, which all religions are a reflection of - the human attempt to understand the unexplainable.

4. I don’t think any religion has quite nailed this reflection of what there actually is - because, like how the discovery of evolution showed us reality - not until the process of scientific deduction is applied to what we consider spiritual in earnest, are we likely to start actually seeing the bigger picture. Google ‘Super human film’ for a taste of that. That said, religion has given us many of the puzzle pieces but the overall picture is incomplete.

5. When people understand we evolved and that much of religion isn’t what they previously thought (i.e. actual fact) - moral foundations can be shaken.
    Thankfully though, the general principles of cooperation, higher thinking, kindness and forgiveness etc from the positive religions that have survived the historical winnowing process mean those norms are so ingrained in society. Humans have won the lottery to the extent this happens - we’ve realised the benefit of such modes of thinking but really, they could’ve only come about via religion, or at least that’s how they did.

6. Those norms have taken on a life of their own now - think of our laws. In a way, those values and practices in and of themselves are like a new religion - without the attached mystical thinking. We must thank primarily Abrahamic monotheism and (to a lesser extent??) Buddhist teaching for this!! Humanity owes a great deal to their influence.

I’ll leave it there for the minute.

2 Likes

I only ever affirm. If my word isn’t good enough, nothing else can make it.

My understatement of the year . . . The relationship between religion and morality is complicated. :wink:

Religion has been used to unite and divide. Religion has been used as source of justice and injustice. We actively judge whether religions are good or bad, and what we use for that judgment is our inner sense of morality. For me, the least convincing moral argument is “because my religion says so”. Moral authority is found in moral arguments that derive their strength from the human experience which involves wants, needs, and emotions.

Why shouldn’t we steal other peoples’ belongings? Is it because the Bible forbids it, or is it because it harms the person who is stolen from? Also, would you want your stuff stolen, and if not then why should you be allowed to go against the wishes of others? “The Bible says so” only leads to questions of why the Bible says that. Without moral philosophy based in human experience we would only have an arbitrary set of rules that we choose to obey. I don’t see how morality and obedience are the same thing.

2 Likes

Another way to think about morality is as laws of love. And if a loving father (or Father) made rules for the smooth and conflict-free operation of his household, a loving child would want to please their father (or Father) by being obedient, even if they didn’t currently understand the rationale behind the rule.

(also, if interesting, C. S. Lewis made the observation that we primarily learn morality from our family, parents, teachers, etc., not unlike the way we learned math, the multiplication table, scientific facts, etc… but in neither case does this somehow automatically mean they cease to be absolute realities.)

2 Likes

How do they become absolute realities, whatever they are?

What, like burning all parties if a guy marries a mother and daughter? As a taster for burning the frightened and infidel?

Your existence is an absolute reality. That existence is in fact true, whether or not I was aware of your existence, nor whether I disbelieve in your existence. That fact doesn’t “become” an absolute reality, it simply is an absolute reality.

Can you agree with me that far?

Philosophically, no, but pragmatically, yes. Although ‘absolute’ is redundant. ‘I’ am a centre of consciousness like you. ‘We’ exist as such for now.

I think that is a great way of approaching it. If God created us with empathy and emotions then God could craft a moral code that would best fit those human characteristics. It would still be a subjective morality, but one tailored to humans. It would be a moral code based on wisdom instead of an objective standard.

God is HOLY, RIGHTEOUS, JUST and LOVE , that is the standard for righteousness. Righteouness is not based on man’s character or thoughts but on God’s.

God Loves you.

Meaning what? How? In what way? Compared with how I love my loved ones and they love me?

Or, it could be based on the design of the ‘equipment’, the objective rules for its best operation, like not putting sugar in your gas tank.

You really have no correct concept of God’s love for us do you. You judge Him and His Son incorrectly.

This is the love of God for us.

Romans 5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

When puny little man judges his creator and puts his thoughts above God’s, then there is no way for that man to know the Father or the Son. To submit to Jesus as Sovereign Lord now is to become a child of the Father, to judge Him incorrectly and not put all your trust in His work on the cross is to never enter into eternal life.

Don’t redirect by asking one of your questions, just read and believe what Jesus said.

Morning & Evening, Evening, September 2: