Did Jesus ever say "I am NOT God?"

That is a lot of words…and I thought I was long winded!

Who can forgive sins? Who is the judge of man? I think you would agree the answer to both of those is God, and only God? Only God, the judge of man, has the authority to forgive man of their sins right?

Mark 2:10 "But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "
Matthew 9:6 " But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "
Luke 5:24 " But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "

Did Jesus forgive sins?
Is Jesus God?

??? 

Why won’t you respond to my comment?

[quote=“still_learning, post:44, topic:38581, full:true”]
That is a lot of words…and I thought I was long winded!

Who can forgive sins? Who is the judge of man? I think you would agree the answer to both of those is God, and only God? Only God, the judge of man, has the authority to forgive man of their sins right?[/quote]

Nope! Do you know who it was that made that statement in scripture?"

Luke 5:18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him.19 And when they could not find by what way they might
bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before
Jesus.
THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES SAID THAT:
20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

AND JESUS CONFRONTED THEM
22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?

23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

YOU MUST FORGIVE THOSE SINS COMMITTED AGAINST YOU
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

[quote=“still_learning, post:44, topic:38581, full:true”]
Mark 2:10 "But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "
Matthew 9:6 " But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "
Luke 5:24 " But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” "

Did Jesus forgive sins? YES!
Is Jesus God? [/quote]

NOPE!

ALL men are to forgive those who have sinned against them.

I have forgiven many who sinned against me and I AM NOT GOD!

[quote=“beaglelady, post:45, topic:38581, full:true”]
??? [/quote]

!!! WHAT???

I’m not Roman Catholic, but I find your rant to be vile, unhinged, and inaccurate.

3 Likes

ALL men are to forgive those who wronged them. Not sinned against them, only God is sinned against. For sin is missing the mark God set. Only God is the judge of us for our sins.

We are not righteous, we are not holy, people can’t sin against us. That sin can affect us, it can be directed towards us, but it is never against us.

Yes, it’s in red letters…Jesus said that, and then healed the man, to show that He is God, and He can forgive sins.

Though I guess you are referring to the Pharisees who said Mark 2:7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?””

You are claiming the Pharisees are wrong when they say this, and you believe that man can forgive sins?

When you sin, who are you wronging? At least two people, the one wronged, and God. The other person (or yourself depending on the sin) can forgive you for the wrong you did, and should, as our Heavenly Father is faithful to forgive us of our sins. But wronged/slighted is different than sin. Only God can forgive sins.

Animals sacrifices don’t even forgive sins, but they could cover the sins, but only God can remove the charge. Only a merciful God can not charge death to you against your sin against Him.

[quote=“Korvexius, post:34, topic:38581, full:true”]

Please show me where in John 1:1 “Jesus” is mentioned, referenced, or otherwise acknowledged.

“In the beginning was the logos and the logos was with God and the logos was God.”

The “beginning” of which John speaks (in 96 a.d.) is not the beginning of creation. John had already referenced the beginning of creation in “The book of Revelations” in 69 a.d. and he did not replicate that greeting in his gospel.

There is no evidence that whoever wrote the Gospel of John was also the author of the Book of Revelation. Scholarly generally agree that the person who wrote Revelation is distinct from the person who wrote the Gospel of John, 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John. We simply don’t really know who John of Patmos is. As Richard Bauckham points out in his Theology of the Book of Revelation (2003, Cambridge University Press), pg. 2;

Virtually all we know about John, the author of Revelation, is that he was a Jewish Christian prophet. Evidently he was one of a circle of prophets in the churches of the province of Asia (22:6), and evidently he had at least one rival: the Thyatiran prophetess whom he considers a false prophet (2:20).

I’d like to see you offer any evidence that whoever wrote the Gospel also wrote Revelation. Consequently, it would be a fundamental error to claim that John 1:1 is not talking about the beginning of creation. It obviously is. You also make some strange Greek transliteration mistakes – for example, “In the beginning” is ‘en arche’, not ‘en arxh’.[/quote]

In the Greek to English alphabet exchange the English letter “c” is not utilized, but the English “X” corresponds with the “c” nonentity.

And the Greek letter “eta” resembles the English letter “h.”

John 1:1-3: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

1st) The first four English translations do not recognize “He” and “Him” as appropriate translation, because “Logos” was translated “the same” or “it” or “that one.”

TYNDALE BIBLE (1525)
John 1:1 In the beginnynge was the worde, and the worde was with God, and the worde was god.
2 The same was in the beginnynge with god.
3 All things were made by it; and without it was made nothinge that was made.
4 In it was lyfe; and the lyfe was the lyght of men.
5 And the lyght shyneth in darknes; but the darknes comprehended it not.

GREAT BIBLE (1539)
1 In the begynnyng was the worde, and the worde was wyth God: and God was the worde. 2 The same was in the begynnyng wyth God. 3 All things were made by it, and wythout it, was made nothyng that was made. 4 In it was lyfe, and the lyfe was the lyghte of men, 5 and the lyght shyneth in darcknes, and the darcknes comprehended it not.

GENEVA BIBLE (1560)
John 1:1 In the beginning was the worde, and the worde was with God, and that worde was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by it; and without it was made nothing that was made. 4 In it was lif; and the lif was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkenes; and the darkenes comprehended it not.

BISHOP’S BIBLE (1568)
John 1:1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and God was that word. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by it; and without it was made nothing that was made. 4 In it was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darknesse; and the darkeness comprehendeth it not.

The first bible to translate “Him” was the Rheims bible in 1582. King James version and many others that followed did not do their homework. Both Rheims and KJV did however, err when they used “This” in verse two of Rheims, and “the same” in KJV. following language requires reference to the same pronoun preceding it.

RHEIMS BIBLE (1582)
John 1:1 In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and God was the word. 2 This was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was made nothing. That which was made 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darknesse; and the darkenesse did not comprehend it.

KING JAMES BIBLE (1611)
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

2nd) The use of “ginomai” (to become) is consistent with its use as found in Luke 23:12 which says -

“And the same day Pilate and Herod were (egenonto)(became) made friends together: for before they were at enmity between themselves.”

I do not believe Pilate and Herod were created friends. They “became friends after having been enemies.”

So, this is clearly talking about the beginning, the moment when all things were made. Since it is situated at the very beginning of the Gospel, the phrase “In the beginning” clearly calls the readers attention to Genesis 1:1.

HERE IS A COMPARATIVE SAMPLE FROM SCRIPTURE
Compare with John’s opening in his gospel -
“En arxh” “En arxh” [Jn 1:1]
“Teen arxeen”[Jn 8:25]
“ap arxees” [John 15:27]
“arxees” [John 16:4]

Sorry, but I don’t see the relevance of any of this. Is your point that the Greek is read in different spellings? That’s because of inflection, not the use of different words/meaning terms.[/quote]

No, it’s because you left out the section that followed for comparison, which shows the “The beginning of creation” included the word ktisews - Greek for “creation.”

“arkees ktisews” is a reference to “Beginning of creation.” It is lacking in John 1:1

Then compare with those references to the beginning of creation -
“harxee ktisews tou Theou” [Rev 3:14]
“ap arxees ktisews” [II Pet 3:4]
“arxees ktisews” [Mark 10:6]
"ap arxhs ktisews hn ektisen o Theos ews tou nun [Mark 13:19]

THAT was the relavent connection showing John did NO)T reference “creation” tied to his reference to “Beginning.”

[quote=theo book]

“The Logos which was God” referenced by John, was NOT in the beginning at creation. The proof of this is found early in the Old Testament. The Logion of God preceded the Logos of God by centuries and eons of time. Not until the law was given to Moses, did the Logos spoken by God become an issue.

Psalm 105:16 “Moreover he called for a famine upon the land: he brake the whole staff of bread. 17 He sent a man before them, even Joseph, who was sold for a servant: 18 Whose feet they hurt with fetters: he was laid in iron: 19 Until the time that his logon (word) came; the logion (word) of the LORD tried him. 20 The king sent and loosed him; even the ruler of the people, and let him go free. 21 He made him lord of his house, and ruler of all his substance:”(Psalm 105:16-19)[/quote]

This just looks like a strange misprint of the actual text. Here’s the NRSV translation, there is no Logos figure here. This translation is clearly a fabrication, since Logos is a Greek word that can be written in John because John was written in Greek, but the Hebrew Old Testament has no word ‘Logos’. It does have a different Hebrew word for the word ‘word’, but in these verses, this just means ‘words’ in the normal sense. There is no “Logion” in the Old Testament, let alone a “Logion” that precedes the Logos. Thus, your arguments really make no sesne at all. “In the beginning” has nothing to do with the beginning of the Gospel itself, obviously, since it’s juxtaposed with creation in the second and third verses and evokes Genesis later on. The final sword in your theory is the fact that the concept of the Logos predates the Gospel of John itself, and is found in earlier literature (such as the Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria in the early to mid 1st century), and the Logos in those texts is referred to exist in the beginning of time, creation. So considering what John itself says, as well as its historical context, there can be no doubt that John 1:1 is literally about the beginning. [/quote]

The Old Testament was revealed twice by God; Once in Hebrew for the purpose of bringing the Jews to God

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

But the GREEK Septuagint was written for the Gentiles, given to the Jews for safe-keeping until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled.
And it was prophesied that the Jews would be confounded by stammering lips and another tongue, which is precisely what the Septuagint was to the Jews, a stumbling block.

Jeremiah 5:15 Lo, I will bring a nation upon you from far, O house of Israel, saith the LORD: it is a mighty nation, it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither understandest what they say.

Isaiah 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

KJV Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Isaiah 28:13 But the (logion) word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Isaiah 28:14 Wherefore hear the (logon) word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

I will not rewrite the rest of the previous post because it is still there for reference to those who are interested.

But in the Septuagint, God warned Israel that the new covenant He would make with them, would be a snare by which they will be taken and confounded.

As for your denial that the logion preceded Logos, look to the original to see what else you have left out.

Theo, your recent lengthy posts regarding the origins of scripture and how they were handed down to us are clear evidence of an unusual level of erudition. But most readers of scripture (and presumably most viewers of this forum) are not looking so much for a scholarly analysis as they are in seeking how the wisdom of the past can guide them in discerning what God expects of them in facing present day problems. In that respect, I am in agreement with this quotation of yours in response to @ManiacalVesalius:

Isn’t it possible that in directing so much intellectual effort to understanding precisely what was going on in the minds of people two millennia ago, we may end up neglecting the information and inspiration that God intends for us today? Just as some of the Jews of Jesus’ day were so engrossed with the Letter of the Law that they overlooked its purpose, we could make a stumbling block of the many ways of interpreting John’s opening gospel “In the Beginning was the Word…” Like a palimpsest, it may contain several levels or layers of Truth.

To put my views in perspective, I should mention that I, too, was raised as a Roman Catholic and mentally wrestled with a number of church doctrines. The reason I have remained Catholic is that I ‘discovered’ Teilhard de Chardin, and his view that evolution explains the reality that the whole Universe is on a journey from Alpha to Omega. The important part of Human Evolution is taking place in the Noosphere. Within this century the Church will come around to accepting this as dogma.
Al Leo

Umm … no. That just isn’t true. The Greek letter chi (χ) is transliterated ‘ch’ in English. This is pretty obvious if you just google it.

1st) The first four English translations do not recognize “He” and “Him” as appropriate translation, because “Logos” was translated “the same” or “it” or “that one.”

That’s irrelevant. Those translations are centuries old, based on inferior manuscripts, and a more incomplete understanding of the koine Greek language. Modern scholarly translations produced by scholarly committees have the standard authority on biblical translation. The Greek word translated ‘He’ is Οὗτος, which is in the nominative masculine singular form. So yes, the translation is “He”.

2nd) The use of “ginomai” (to become) is consistent with its use as found in Luke 23:12 which says -

“And the same day Pilate and Herod were (egenonto)(became) made friends together: for before they were at enmity between themselves.”

I do not believe Pilate and Herod were created friends. They “became friends after having been enemies.”

The Greek word has various definitions, the standard one being “to come into being.” That is the intended meaning in John 1:3.

No, it’s because you left out the section that followed for comparison, which shows the “The beginning of creation” included the word ktisews - Greek for “creation.”

“arkees ktisews” is a reference to “Beginning of creation.” It is lacking in John 1:1

THAT was the relavent connection showing John did NO)T reference “creation” tied to his reference to “Beginning.”

This makes as much sense as what you wrote earlier. There is more than one Greek word to reference the beginning of creation. John used one of them at the beginning of the Gospel.

As for the Greek Septuagint, again, you make the same mistake as we’ve seen before. The word ‘logion’ in Isaiah is not a reference to an actual being called the ‘Word’, but simply the word of God. The standard definition of the meaning ‘word’. The philosophical concept of the Logos emerged four centuries after Isaiah 28 was written, and therefore there can be no relevance between the texts you cited and the actual Logos. Again, the Logos is never mentioned in the Old Testament.

As for your denial that the logion preceded Logos, look to the original to see what else you have left out.

There’s nothing I left out. ‘Logion’ is the same Greek word as ‘Logos’, just different inflections due to the context.

1 Like

@Theo_Book

Christy is completely right. Jesus only confirmed His Divine nature. Jesus was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He is 100% human and 100% Divine. The Triune God caused the Big Bang and began all what we know. [content removed by moderator]

1 Like

@Theo_Book

No, he never said that; however, He said before Abraham was born, I AM.( John 8:55-58)

Remember Exodus: 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say unto the children of Israel, I AM has sent me unto you.

1 Like

Show me that part you consider “to be vile, unhinged, and inaccurate.”!

[quote=“ManiacalVesalius, post:53, topic:38581, full:true”]

[quote=“Theo_Book, post:51, topic:38581”]
In the Greek to English alphabet exchange the English letter “c” is not utilized, but the English “X” corresponds with the “c” nonentity.

And the Greek letter “eta” resembles the English letter “h.” [/quote]

Umm … no. That just isn’t true. The Greek letter chi (χ) is transliterated ‘ch’ in English. This is pretty obvious if you just google it.[/quote]

There is much error that is “obvious” to those who go by “What everyone knows” - like “Scholars.”

[quote=“Theo_Book, post:51, topic:38581”]
1st) The first four English translations do not recognize “He” and “Him” as appropriate translation, because “Logos” was translated “the same” or “it” or “that one.”[/quote]

That’s irrelevant. Those translations are centuries old, based on inferior manuscripts, and a more incomplete understanding of the koine Greek language. Modern scholarly translations produced by scholarly committees have the standard authority on biblical translation. The Greek word translated ‘He’ is Οὗτος, which is in the nominative masculine singular form. So yes, the translation is “He”.[/quote]

outos = demonstrative pronoun nom masc sing form of pronoun [UBS] outos = demonstrative pro. and adj. this, this one; he, she,[b]it[/].

The Greek word has various definitions, the standard one being “to come into being.” That is the intended meaning in John 1:3.

This makes as much sense as what you wrote earlier. There is more than one Greek word to reference the beginning of creation. John used one of them at the beginning of the Gospel.[/quote]

Only to “Scholars”

As for the Greek Septuagint, again, you make the same mistake as we’ve seen before. The word ‘logion’ in Isaiah is not a reference to an actual being called the ‘Word’, but simply the word of God.[/quote]

THAT was precisely my point. The logos WAS God. The LOGOS became flesh; God did NOT.

“he logos” is articulated - “God” is NOT articulated. therefore are not interchangeable.

Well at least we now can see where you get your understanding. You need to research the Septuagint. It was revealed by God, given to the Jews for the Gentiles when their “TIME” is to be fulfilled.

There’s nothing I left out. ‘Logion’ is the same Greek word as ‘Logos’, just different inflections due to the context.[/quote]

No. It is NOT. And you continual denials will not change that.

[quote=“Christy, post:11, topic:38581, full:true”]

Um… No you can’t. You can point to a Bible verse that you interpret to be Jesus claiming God is only ever spirit. That’s a long way from “proving Jesus was not God.”[/quote]

Um…YES! I CAN.

Out of respect for your earlier post, I have not demonstrated the fact that the grammatic emphasis denies a trinity; denies Jesus is God, etc.

But since this is a scientific treatise examination board, I have not set out to confront or belabor or any other mischief.

And since it seems you may be of a Trinitarian Bent, I do not want to issue any challenges, but Scripture absolutely denies Jesus is anything but a prop-het raised like unto Moses {Deu 18:18] - Not Deity descended from Heaven with amnesia.

God the Father is against the trinity, as also is Jesus “the Christ of God,” and “The Lord’s Christ.”

But Jesus is also called the “Xriston tou Theou,” and he also held the office during his lifetime. His office ended at his death. Luke 9:20 “He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, Ton Xriston tou Theou [The Christ of God].”

Luke 2:26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen ton Xriston Kuriou [The Lord’s Christ].

Nope! God is God by NATURE! Not by Theology.{Gal 4:8) And NATURE is certainly one of the most reasonable studies for science.

Of course denying it as a study relevant to the board is really just a simple dodge where one does not have to defend one’s theology.

The study begins with the verse in 'gal 4:8
If God is not God by nature, why is he so against others who are not gods by nature? The only logical argument is He is the only God who is God by nature.

In the last chapters of the Gospel of John, Thomas when he realized who Jesus was called Him my Lord and my God.

1 Like
  1. WHAT WAS THOMAS TOLD TO EXPECT?
    Thomas could well remember Jesus own words - “From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.” [Mat 16:21]

“be raised” is aorist PASSIVE, which means he did not raise himself. Do you really think Thomas did not hear this?

"And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.[Mat 17:22-23]

This time, “be raised” is “future PASSIVE.” Both times the reference is to a passave action, indicating Jesus will not raise himself.

“And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? 19 They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. 20 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. 21 And he straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing;Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.” [Luke 9:18-22]

“be raised” is “aorist PASSIVE” in this verse. Three times Thomas has heard this testimony, and seen it in action at least once in the case of Lazarus, Besides the times he saw Jesus raising the dead, and when Thomas himself was involved in the same type of miracle.

1. WHAT WAS THOMAS TOLD TO DO?
    "And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. 5These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, “Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, RAISE THE DEAD, cast out devils]: freely ye have received, freely give.” [Mat 10:1-8]

AND WHAT DID THOMAS REPORT AFTER HIS ADVENTURE IN MIRACLES?
“And THE APOSTLES gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and TOLD HIM all things, both WHAT THEY HAD DONE, and what they had taught.31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. 32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.” [Mark 6:30-32]

Thomas had sufficient memory to remember that when Lazarus was raised by God at Jesus’ request, it was Jesus who raised him but it was God behind the deed. THIS IS WHAT THOMAS REMEMBERED.

John 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. 15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

3)WAS THOMAS PRESENT AT THIS EVENT?
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellow disciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him. 17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already. 18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off: 19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. 20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.

4)WHAT DID THOMAS WITNESS?
21Then said [b]Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. 24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that THOU ART THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD, which should come into the world.

28 And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. 29 As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him. 30 Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him. 31 The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there. 32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, 34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. 35 Jesus wept. 36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! 37 And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? 38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. 39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? 41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, FATHER, I THANK THEE that thou hast heard me. 42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. 43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

5)WHAT DID THOMAS SEE?
44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

1. WHAT DID THOMAS REMEMBER?
    Thomas was a participant in the most amazing sequence of events in history. And he himself raised the dead. And he was a testimony witness to what Jesus said about his own resurrection. And three times it is recorded that Jesus used the passive verb to describe what is soon to take place. Yes, Thomas remembered alright. Only it was not soon to be released revelation he remembered, but recent events experienced.

The apostles testified “We have seen the Lord.”[John 20:25] None of them said “God is risen.” Thomas already KNEW it was God who would raise Jesus from the dead. “And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? 19 They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. 20 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. 21 And he straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing; 22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.” [Luke 9:18-22]

So Thomas, upon seeing resurrected Christ made the only connection he could between what he saw and what he had already been told to expect; God working a miracle to raise Thomas’ Lord.

Did John, in writing his account, correct Thomas’s assessment? No! In fact John concurs with this exegesis. “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.” [John 20:30-31]

Did Thomas believe Jesus was God? No. He knew he himself had only recently been involved in raising the dead. He saw God behind the deed. And he saw his resurrected Lord. AS DID THEY ALL.

"And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord. 21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. 24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. 26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

As for the Greek Septuagint, again, you make the same mistake as we’ve seen before. The word ‘logion’ in Isaiah is not a reference to an actual being called the ‘Word’, but simply the word of God. [/quote]

THAT is a TRANSLATION, not a word-meaning. It is used exclusively in the New Testament to convey “ORACLES” - not “Word.” And in the Old Testament it is translated both “Word” and "ORACLE.

At NO time is it used to reference a person, because it is NOT a person.

“The Logos Of God” is the title of a concept in the mind of God, which was revealed by Paul long before John ever wrote a word. Paul said it is a mystery now revealed to the saints, and this mystery is “The Logos Of God”

Look at how Paul reports it:

In 48 a.d. Paul wrote “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me]: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” [Gal 2:20]

And -

“But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” [Gal 4:4-7]

Paul also said in that same letter - “My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,” [Gal 4:19]

So Paul had an expectation of seeing a change come over the newly converted as their Phileo (affection) turned to agape (devotion). In their proccess of growing to mature Christianity, a maturity that sometimes included giving up one’s life, the saints began to express, not in words, but by a new and living way that far exceeded all expectation as pertains to a changing of a lifestyle. The bold and sometimes brash became humble; the occasionally vulgar became pure of speech; the selfish became subtlely concerned for the downtrodden and the poor.

Why?

Because Christ lived in them, in their flesh, bringing about a change so obvious that when observed by others, it seemed as though, to those others, the original was replaced with a completely new person. It was as though one became a newly born only begotten son of God.

So Paul introduces a concept to the saints, of “Christ living in you;” but does not make any further defining remarks to the saints in Galatia.

Then, in In 55 a.d. paul, writing to the saints in Corinth, said -“Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you], except ye be reprobates?” [II Cor 13:5]

Paul begins to introduce some finer points of definition when in 60 a.d. he said he had “fully preached the Logos Of God” to the whole world, and explained what it is - “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;”

“Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to (fully preach) fulfill ]The Logos Of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you , the hope of glory:” [Col 1:23,25-27]

So Paul tells us “Christ is in you” and further, he tells us there is a name for this phenomena, “The Logos Of God.” Now, “logos” is simply one of several words that carry the meaning of “word” or “message.” This becomes “The message of God” to you is “Let Christ take over your life.” Let him in. Let him completely renovate the dwelling he has discovered in you. Let him clean the inside and the outside, and make all things new as pertains to your identity, so that instead of the person you once were, is now replaced by that person you have become in Christ Jesus.

We need to remember several things that are explained by Paul; 1) there was a mystery hidden from ages and generations, 2) it is now to be made manifest to the saints; and 3) there is glory somehow connected to this “soon to be manifested” mystery; and 4) Paul tells us this mystery has a name “The Logos Of God;” and 5) further, he tells us that this mystery, this manifested “logos of God” is “Christ in you” and yet further again, 6)it constitutes for us “the hope of glory.” This is quite a mouthfull.

So, let’s see if this theme is picked up for verification anywhere else in scripture.

What we are looking for is some reference to “Christ in you” while you are “living” and “in your flesh,” and further, we are looking for some indication that this is available for a very long time, that this is not just for the saints of Paul’s day, to last only as long as he continues to preach it.

Paul expresses his exposition of a theme with - “But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” [Gal 4:4-7]

So Paul jumps from the birth of a newborn baby, Jesus of Nazareth, to the complete transition of the saints to newly adopted full grown children of God, in one short phrase comprised of 4 verses.

Now I realize that much has been preached about the saints being adopted into God’s family as sons, thereby making Him our Father, and we his children. But that is not what scripture actually says. Scripture tells us we are adopted by Jesus Christ to himself, and since the saints are “baptized into” Christ, and have put on Christ, because He is 'God’s son, those who are adopted into Jesus, are “equal heirs” with him. “Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,” [Eph 1:5]

All of this ties together but it was not all written in the first book of the new testament. It began there, and morphed into the truth of the gospel, as it ws developed by Paul, limited only by the people’s state of preparedness, as they had to modify their lives so that they no longer were the focus and scope of what “living” means.

Finally, another Apostle picks up on the theme introduced and defined by Paul’s writings. It is John’s turn to talk about the saints in whom the spirit of Christ has been sent by God to dwell in the saints; (that “Logos Of God” which was introduced by Paul - “Christ living in me”) - John speaks of it this way: “He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the logos was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his (the one who received Christ) glory, the glory as of an only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” [John 1:11-14]

John does not say “as many as received him, them he made sons of God.” No, John says “as many as received him, to them gave he power to become(no article in the Greek) sons of God.” John is telling us there is something required beyond believing, to qualify one for being a son of God. And that requirement has been being spelled out by Paul the Apostle since Jesus ascended to the right hand of the Father, so many years ago.

Why does John fail to say “We beheld the glory of the only begotten son?” Instead, he says “We beheld his glory, glory as of an only begotten son.”

That little Greek expression “os” is what is called a “particle of comparison.” Why would John be comparing the glory of Jesus to the glory of Jesus? The truth is, he is not. He is comparing The glory of the saint in whom the logos of God is personified, with the glory of the only begotten son of God dwelling in that saint.

Jesus did not “become a man” in John 1:14. The only reason there is even a mention of Jesus at all in John’s first chapter, is because in 96 a.d., John tied his gospel to the person of Christ and to “the logos of God” referenced in Rev 3:12 and in 19:12-13 with reference to the new name he is to be given, as “the logos of God.”

Jesus was not “the logos of God” in 30 a.d; He was not “The logos of God” in 33 a.d. when he was ascended, and he was not “the Logos of God” when John prophecied about his gift-name, as of 69 a.d. it was still a future event.

In 96 a.d. John is speaking in 1:14 ofhis gospel, about an event in the life of a saint, a personification, and recalling his remarks he wrote in 69 a.d, about Jesus, and here ties the two events together.

But the personification of the logos of God takes place, according to Paul, everytime some saint or other, so lives his life that he can say “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” [Gal 2:20]

When this saint aknowledges “Christ Jesus” in his life, the logos of God is personified in the life of that saint. And “we behold the glory as of an only begotten son of God” all over again, in that saint, through Christ living in him.

Paul spent a lifetime convincing the saints about this subject of “Jesus Christ living in me” and said, “My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,” [Gal 4:19]

So to recap what the Apostles have introduced and defined.
Paul introduced “Christ in you;” Paul defined “Christ in you” and said it is “the hope of Glory.” He also defined it as “The Logos Of God.”

Then John picked up on a new name which is to be given Jesus, and that new name is “The Logos of God;” Finally John brings together, in his prologue, the saints in whom can be said “Christ lives in you,” and “hope” and “glory” just as Paul had already introduced and defined. And John did not change a thing paul already said.

Jesus was born, at which time he received a name, “Jesus,” which served to identify him while he grew in wisdom and in stature, and in favour with God and men, and when he was fully grown, and had died, had been resurrected, and had ascended by 33 a.d., received a name, “The logos of God” between the time when it was published in 69 a.d., and 96 a.d. when John ties the personification of The Logos Of God in the saints, to Jesus, who received the name; but it was not who and what he was; it was a name received. Jesus was never “the logos of God” but was given the name after he successfully completed his mission and was extolled and made very high [Isa 52:13], and given a name above every name.[Phil 2:9-11][Eph 1:19-23]

People have him already pre-existing as “the logos of God” and recognized as the personification of “the logos of God” at his birth when in fact, the terminology did not even exist until 69 a.d.

When I look at a saint in whom Christ lives, I see the logos of God personified, and “behold the glory as of glory of an only begotten son of God.”

When John in his epistles [1st and 2nd John] speaks of “Jesus Christ came in flesh,” he is not speaking of the birth of Jesus, he is speaking of “Christ living in me, in my flesh” spoken of by Paul - “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”[Gal 2:20]

There is no way you can find a place to separate Paul’s life in the flesh after his conversion to Christ, from Jesus Christ living in Paul.

Furthermore, John himself said “Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in flesh is of God:” [I John 4:2]

John did not use the article, and neither should we if we are going to understand exactly what John is saying. He is not speaking of Jesus own body of his flesh, for then he would have said “Jesus came in the flesh,” and everybody would be in agreement. But John did not say that , he said “Jesus Christ came in flesh,” which he did when he lived in Paul “in the flesh.”

And to show it is no mistake of language, John repeats in II John 7 “For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.”

In neither verse does John use either the aorist tense or imperfect verbs, which would be necessary if he was speaking of the life of Jesus in his flesh; but John used first, a perfect active participle when he said - “… Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in flesh is of God:” and second, he used a present middle verb which tells us it is not something Jesus actively does to take over your life, but it is something he is allowed by you, to do.

The significance of the “perfect active” [I John 4:2] is that Jesus has accomplished to the fullest, the fact of “com[”-ing"] in flesh" as he lives in the lives of the saints. It is not a reference to his having been born “in the flesh.”

This becomes significant when we consider Paul’s words -“For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.”[Rom 5:10]

The present participle in II Jn 7, which if you know anything about Greek participles, they are “-ing” words, and being present tense, means that in 85 - 90 a.d., John is saying Jesus is still com[“-ing”] in flesh. Check it out with any Greek scholar you wish, if he knows what he is doing, and is honest, he will lay aside all doctrinal bias and admit the truth of this.

This is the mystery of the kingdom of God, part of which Jesus began to teach his disciples as he walked and talked among the Jews of his day. He gave his disciples clues and hints that later, helped them understand as bits and pieces of the doctrine of “The Logos Of God” became fully developed under the capable hands of Paul the Apostle.

And John, in 96 a.d., wrote his gospel, alluding to this doctrine by writing, In the beginning (of the gospel) was the logos, and the logos was with God, and the logos was God, and the logos became flesh and dwelled among us; which Jesus did not do during his lifetime in Galilee and in Jerusalem of his day. He was often remote, and elusive, often sought by the crowds, which is not necessary if he is in fact “among” them. But later, after the “Logos Of God” was fully developed and lived by the saints, Christ indeed lived among the saints, as they were hauled off to the slaughter of the Roman Coliseum, to serve as sport for the masses.

And that, my friend, is the “Mystery of the ages” which Paul spoke of, to the whole world, then wrote of it for later generatons to discover for themselves, and understand and persue.

So until at least 69 a.d., the saints had no idea of Jesus being named “The word of God” at some future point in time. It was NEVER a first century issue.

Then, by the time John wrote his epistle in 96 a.d., and began with “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God,” There was absolutely NO issue of Jesus being the word of God, because it was already understood for over sixty years, that the saints, living so that it was not they who lived, but Christ living in them, was the personification of the word of God, and the word of God was personified in the saints, and dwelled among men. The logos concept was already understood prior to John’s gospel.

It was left to later generations, who studied the new testament from the standpoint of “life of Christ” FIRST, who began to understand John’s gospel to reference an preexistent Jesus who somehow became a human.

If the books are studied in the order in which they were revealed by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they CANNOT be understood to reference a preexistent Jesus.

How does it matter what order you use to study God’s word? Look at the vast difference in concept if you approach the meaning attached to “the logos of God, which is Christ living in me” by starting with the earliest books written, as opposed to beginning with the last book written.

The standard definition of the meaning ‘word’. The philosophical concept of the Logos emerged four centuries after Isaiah 28 was written, and therefore there can be no relevance between the texts you cited and the actual Logos. Again, the Logos is never mentioned in the Old Testament.

Totally false! Logion means "Oracle(s); Educated; "

Logos means thing, matter, word, message, something said, concept;

[quote=“still_learning, post:50, topic:38581, full:true”]

ALL men are to forgive those who wronged them. Not sinned against them, only God is sinned against. For sin is missing the mark God set. Only God is the judge of us for our sins.

We are not righteous, we are not holy, people can’t sin against us. That sin can affect us, it can be directed towards us, but it is never against us.

Yes, it’s in red letters…[/quote]

So now you are telling us God wrote His bible in red ink? The people who put that in red letters missed it, because it was the scribes and Pharisees who said it, NOT Jesus.

Though I guess you are referring to the Pharisees who said Mark 2:7 “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?””

You are claiming the Pharisees are wrong when they say this, and you believe that man can forgive sins?[/quote]

I am claiming JESUS CORRECTED them when He said “What is in your heart?”

When you sin, who are you wronging? At least two people, the one wronged, and God. The other person (or yourself depending on the sin) can forgive you for the wrong you did, and should, as our Heavenly Father is faithful to forgive us of our sins. But wronged/slighted is different than sin. Only God can forgive sins.[/quote]

Absolutely false!
“Except ye forgive, you will not be forgiven.”

Please show me where in John 1:1 “Jesus” is mentioned, referenced, or otherwise acknowledged.

“In the beginning was the logos and the logos was with God and the logos was God.”

The “beginning” of which John speaks (in 96 a.d.) is not the beginning of creation. John had already referenced the beginning of creation in “The book of Revelations” in 69 a.d. and he did not replicate that greeting in his gospel.

There is no evidence that whoever wrote the Gospel of John was also the author of the Book of Revelation. Scholarly generally agree that the person who wrote Revelation is distinct from the person who wrote the Gospel of John, 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John. We simply don’t really know who John of Patmos is. As Richard Bauckham points out in his Theology of the Book of Revelation (2003, Cambridge University Press), pg. 2;

Virtually all we know about John, the author of Revelation, is that he was a Jewish Christian prophet. Evidently he was one of a circle of prophets in the churches of the province of Asia (22:6), and evidently he had at least one rival: the Thyatiran prophetess whom he considers a false prophet (2:20).

I’d like to see you offer any evidence that whoever wrote the Gospel also wrote Revelation. Consequently, it would be a fundamental error to claim that John 1:1 is not talking about the beginning of creation. It obviously is. You also make some strange Greek transliteration mistakes – for example, “In the beginning” is ‘en arche’, not ‘en arxh’.

John 1:1-3: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

So, this is clearly talking about the beginning, the moment when all things were made. Since it is situated at the very beginning of the Gospel, the phrase “In the beginning” clearly calls the readers attention to Genesis 1:1.

HERE IS A COMPARATIVE SAMPLE FROM SCRIPTURE
Compare with John’s opening in his gospel -
“En arxh” “En arxh” [Jn 1:1]
“Teen arxeen”[Jn 8:25]
“ap arxees” [John 15:27]
“arxees” [John 16:4]

Sorry, but I don’t see the relevance of any of this. Is your point that the Greek is read in different spellings? That’s because of inflection, not the use of different words/meaning terms.

“The Logos which was God” referenced by John, was NOT in the beginning at creation. The proof of this is found early in the Old Testament. The Logion of God preceded the Logos of God by centuries and eons of time. Not until the law was given to Moses, did the Logos spoken by God become an issue.

Psalm 105:16 “Moreover he called for a famine upon the land: he brake the whole staff of bread. 17 He sent a man before them, even Joseph, who was sold for a servant: 18 Whose feet they hurt with fetters: he was laid in iron: 19 Until the time that his logon (word) came; the logion (word) of the LORD tried him. 20 The king sent and loosed him; even the ruler of the people, and let him go free. 21 He made him lord of his house, and ruler of all his substance:”(Psalm 105:16-19)

This just looks like a strange misprint of the actual text. Here’s the NRSV translation, there is no Logos figure here. This translation is clearly a fabrication, since Logos is a Greek word that can be written in John because John was written in Greek, but the Hebrew Old Testament has no word ‘Logos’. It does have a different Hebrew word for the word ‘word’, but in these verses, this just means ‘words’ in the normal sense. There is no “Logion” in the Old Testament, let alone a “Logion” that precedes the Logos. Thus, your arguments really make no sesne at all. “In the beginning” has nothing to do with the beginning of the Gospel itself, obviously, since it’s juxtaposed with creation in the second and third verses and evokes Genesis later on. The final sword in your theory is the fact that the concept of the Logos predates the Gospel of John itself, and is found in earlier literature (such as the Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria in the early to mid 1st century), and the Logos in those texts is referred to exist in the beginning of time, creation. So considering what John itself says, as well as its historical context, there can be no doubt that John 1:1 is literally about the beginning.[/quote]

So when Jesus told his disciples, “But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.”[John 16:4]
YOU are telling me it was at the beginning of creation?