Did a Global Flood really happen? If not, why does the Bible describe one?

I don’t know anybody that would claim the label “Christian” that would argue differently.

But “believing God created” does not make you Christian. It was, after all, Charles Darwin who was significant in the development of evolutionary theory. And he believed that “God created.” Didn’t he?

that which Darwin believed can be questioned as well, because he made up his own “theory”, it is called evolution and it has destroyed many in hell because it destroyed their faith in God and they believed not what God said.:smiling_imp:

Martin, bless your heart. Sounds like it is about time to shut 'er down.

1 Like

if you do it is not the first time.LOL They put Paul in prison because they did not like what he said as well! and I am sure that “blessing my heart” is not the correct words you may want to use but, may need to because of bio logos standards.

Ah…so salvation is based on your opinions on origins?

No it does not, i am NOT a stronger christian than you I had say it because it fit at the moment for an “example only” and not to be rude my friend… I love every one on this site including all the moderators, It would be beneath my Christianity for me not to.love you I love each and every one in this bio logos post! even if you think not… for me to just “chill and deal” “and fit in” so to speak would be wrong of me if something really is against my conscience. i have thought about very seriously asking Christy and the other moderators and the others to banish me from this site all together as star trek would put it a “self destruct sequence” so to speak if the people on this site want them to and i will go away quietly with out a fuss and be banished forever from this site,my work is complete i have no regrets.:neutral_face:

I’m not sure people are “expecting you to leave” or be banned. I think the expectation is that we have serious discussions that evaluate evidence (both physical and biblical) without dismissing someone else out of hand.

When someone insinuates that I am a “weaker Christian” because of a different point of view or that I have not seriously considered another position–a position I used to hold!–I do consider that rude.

But it is possible to have serious conversations without doing those kinds of things.

So I leave you (for now) with two outstanding questions:

1. Is salvation (or even Christian maturity) based on our opinions of origins?
  2. What is the “word of God”? The Bible?

Yes to be a christian it is my opinion that a person must accept and believe the scripture as they are written in the Bible. The Bible is the guide book that explains how to be a christian and what a christian is in the first place. while some portions of scripture may be confusing{and they are indeed} they should not be considered any less inspired than the rest of scripture. i see like this My salvation depends on what is written there in if one part can not be trusted to be true why should I trust the rest to be true? The Bible then becomes to me NOT the word of God but only 'my opinion" on what I personally think is the word of God.as i said before i take the whole thing as the true word of God{as it is} and then when I die and see Jesus he can straighten me out on the parts that i got wrong through error and misinterpretation. The question will then be was my interpretation “intentional or accidental” if accidental Gods grace will cover it completely. however if it is intentional that makes God out top be a liar and his truth is not in me. 1st John 1:10

Do you trust the Bible enough to trust what it says about what is the Word of God?

Do you hold the Bible as the highest authority?

1 Like

Absolutely 100% I take the Bible as the highest authority on God and heaven and Jesus and how to get to heaven.No offense to Catholics but, I put the Bible above the Pope’s words as Truth. The word of God will not fail {Psalm 119;10} {John 5:39} and {john 17:17} It is my understanding that that is the place we(you and I) differ on our views{the reliability of scripture}i believe it to be reliable and you do not.:relaxed:

If you have not studied the words in the bible how do you know they are not true?

{1st peter 5:6} Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God and in due time he will lift you up {Hebrews 11:6} When you come to God you must have faith and believe that he is and that he is a rewarder of those that diligently seek him. {Jeremiah 29:13} You will seek for me and find me when you seek for me with all your heart. if you have a cell phone that gets the internet you can look those scriptures up you do not need a Bible in hand. isn’t technology awesome???:joy: .the bible says all this about it’s self and much more you just need a willing humble searching heat to find the Truth that is in it:joy:.!

Excuse me, I have explicitly stated that I hold scripture to be completely reliable. You are now lying.

In fact, I hold it to be more reliable than you do because I actually believe what it says. The Bible does not claim to be the highest authority. It claims that Jesus is (Matthew 28:18).

Now you are being willfully ignorant. I have explicitly stated that I have read the Bible cover-to-cover many times over. I have lost track. Probably at least 10+ times. I have studied most of the Bible in depth.

And I have never stated that the words of the Bible are not true.

So…are you being willfully ignorant here? Are you deliberately lying? Do you not read my posts? Or is there another issue?

If you have studied it then you should be telling me what i am telling you why are you not?.

Notice that it doesn’t say, “If you diligently search for truth, you will find the Bible.”

Hebrews 4:12 - “…the word of God is living and active, sharper than a double-edged sword, discerning between soul and spirit, joints and marrow.”

That’s not “the written word.” The word for word there is rhema, the Greek word for the spoken word.

Further, John 1:1 says that Jesus is the logos, the written word, the logic or rationale behind Creation. John is actually using a Greek word/concept to cast Jesus as the “wisdom” through which everything was created (see Proverbs 3:19; Jeremiah 15:15, and various corroborating extra-biblical sources contemporary with biblical texts). Nowhere in the Bible does the Bible claim to be the “Word of God.”

“Because of your traditions you have destroyed the authority of God’s word.” (Mark 7:13)

Claiming that the Bible is “the Word of God” is merely a tradition–and a misleading and incorrect one at that.

Because you hold to tradition over scripture. You are more concerned with what you have been taught about the Bible than with what the Bible actually says.

You have implied that “God created all the animals,” when the Bible doesn’t say that. It quotes God saying, “Let the land produce animals…”

Now if you hold Genesis 1 to be a text that must be read and understood literally (which I do not believe), then what do you do with that?

That is where we will disagree 100% you can not learn from the Bible if you doubt or resist that which it says and if you have a human teacher and doubt what he says you can not learn from him either…Gods word written or spoken is Truth 100%. However on the spoken part one must be very careful {that which is spoken must conform to the written word}

let the animals {roam on the land} is the way i view it and it was so.But the earth could have also created them with Gods power of course. But it was Gods power and Gods spoken word that was instantly at work and NOT evolution over time.

Wait, so you are still insisting that the Bible is “the Word of God” in spite of the Bible’s explicit claim that Jesus is the Word of God?

Do you have a logical defence for this? Or is it “just this way because you say so”?

Why can’t you just believe the Bible? Why do you have to add stuff to it? Why do you believe extra-biblical information in contrast to what the Bible actually says, and then have the audacity to accuse other of misreading, doubting, or resisting what the Bible says?