I wonder if it is skunk cabbage… @SkovandOfMitaze . would you think so? Thanks
(It didn’t do as well on the white blossoms.)
Looks like something from an episode of Star Trek!
Thanks. Yes, it really does, doesn’t it, now I am thinking of it!
Gonna be a while. Father’s day is about the time.
Our catalpa was Scott’s first Father’s Day present. Fitting time to leaf out.
Catalpas were my grandpa’s (a greenhouse owner) favorite tree, too–interesting how long it takes to leaf. My wife’s gift to me was a beautiful evergreen that has shot to about 30 ft in a few years. Amazing!
Neat! Thank you!
Today was pretty fun. First went and did softball practice with my nieces. We will probably start doing it once or twice a week or every other week.
Then we went hiking. My youngest niece was even brave enough and strong enough to climb up the rope to the top. But she enjoys climbing. We’ve climbed up pretty high in a few trees before. I’ve been here before and 20 year old dudes were to afraid to even climb up the wooden ladder on the back, let alone go up the very vertical rope side.
Took the dog with us again. He always enjoys getting out.
Found some little just born chicks.
Found another decent sized southern black racer. Pretty feisty.
I finally figured out (well enough) the manual focus on my camera:
The Pleiades
M42
Alcor (lower-a tight double star), Mizar (upper-it’s a quadruple system, the two “stars” here are doubles), and Sidus Ludovicianum (faint)
It turns out that other than needing 8 mm (at edge) thick glasses to not be legally blind, my vision is unusually good: I can separate 9 Pleiades under near-optimal conditions near our house, and easily separate Alcor and Mizar (the eye test for being a Roman Army scout).
Not sure if it’s true or not, but supposedly a case of a man infected with potentially deadly plant fungi happened. Chondrostereum purpureum in India. He was a 60 something year old mushroom hunter. If true, he’s the first man possibly to have been affected. Now that would be crazy. Plant pathogens passing over to people. I guess as a vegan it would be ironic and fair if what finally killed me was a plant pathogen from a plant I foraged lol.
There can be lots of odd infections especially if one is immune compromised. A fair number of plant fungi can cause human disease. And, there have even been deaths from the bacteria in commercial probiotic products.
For sure. When reading this one, it was that one crossing from plants to animals for the first time. The link said staining revealing hyphae growing in his throat creating pus sacs and stuff. It sounded really crazy. I found an article that seems to link it better. But I’ve still it had time to really dig into it.
So basically everything on this planet is trying to take us out including each other (especially here in the US where we have too little in common and lots of means of blowing others away).
"That’s the problem with nature. Something’s always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. Let’s go watch TV.’ – Calvin and Hobbes
Oh my goodness! Those are beautiful!
Some kind of Tulip X flamingo? ![]()
















