Creation Photos Around the World

Thanks for trying! Lovely anyway.
Mine are fighting it out, too. Snow, melt, snow, melt etc. they keep blooming.

1 Like

I was thinking about why any plants would time their flowering for such a difficult season. But of course there are advantages for being the first up after snow. You don’t require as many resources to grow higher when there is no crowding to overcome. Very economical.

2 Likes

It takes some real toughness! Crocuses should be a common metaphor for strength in adversity, determination, grace in the face of opposition.
We should have been naming our daughters after these little beauties, rather than more fragile sorts.

2 Likes

This is not perfect but it’s better of the crocuses:

I had to take unusual measures to deal with the continued breeziness:

(That’s a portable light box, unplugged and turned on its face to act as a wind break/dark box.)

4 Likes

Nice idea!
What do you know…

Just thinking–“Aslan” is a Turkish name for lion, too (one of my coworkers is named “Aslan,” by the way)–I’m interested in the Turkish thinking for that! I think that “tulip” came from a Turkish adaptation of “turban.”

3 Likes

Nice to see how it is done.

Meanwhile in my Berkeley garden it looks like winter will never leave. A very stormy, windy and cold day.

Imgur

Those large leaves associated with the yellow flowers would normally be much fuller but more than half the branch tips have been knocked down. More like this:

Imgur

Imgur

3 Likes

Sorry your weather has been unpleasant. Your photos are gorgeous. That first one, all misty, is stunning.
We’ll be in the 40s and 50s (5F-c.13F) all week! It’s warming up.
Now that the latest snow is melted, my eyes have wandered up, and there is a full chartreus haze on all the willows. Big fat buds on maples and lots of other trees. The daffodils are up but not blooming. The crocuses persist.

2 Likes

That first one is actually a video but only seems to work if you click on it and let it take you to my Flickr site.

Today we went to see a show of work by John Singer Sargent at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. I’ll send you some photos of my favorites soon.

Oh wow! I can’t wait. I love his work.
He is loved in Detroit

1 Like

Did you ever find out why they have that name? Those two rocks. I’ve never been to North Carolina and was not even certain they had mountains there. I think there is a place where the Venus flytraps grow that is native in NC. I’m down in south Alabama where we have lots of carnivorous plants but not the Venus flytrap. I’ve always liked it because it reminds me a bit of Audrey 2 from “ little shop of horrors “ which use to actually be my phone case.

1 Like

Here is what i found:

4 Likes

It’s located in Cleveland, South Carolina

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I have a bit of claustrophobia and because of that, I often force myself into tight spaces. Like a fallen log that’s just a bit bigger or in some of the old forts along the coast they have these escape routes that are often barely big enough to crawl though. It was made so that small kids could more easily go faster than the potentially dangerous and pursuing adults could.

I like how they blend science and myth. I think when science and myth is blended together it creates a story that even if it’s not accurate, or 100% literal, it can still be used to tell the same story.

Like with native plants to rebuild habitat loss. One of the champion teams are Monarch butterflies and milkweeds. But within the niche community of horror fans and native plant enthusiasts there is a joke that we are actually planting milkweeds for the moth man. It’s kind of how symbolism works. Like romero’s zombies are partly symbolism for consumerism and brand loyalty.

3 Likes

The area around Wilmington is the native range; Green Swamp Preserve (Green Swamp Preserve | The Nature Conservancy in NC) is where I have seen the most of them.

Bachman’s Sparrow

Venus Flytrap (leaves and flowers)

Flowers

Leaves of the same plant

Baby Pine Warbler, trying its best to hide from us

All of the small white flowers here are Venus Flytraps

7 Likes

Is the last one the green pitcher plant.
I’ll eventually visit that place.

1 Like

I’m not certain, but I know that Green Pitcher Plant is around.

Lake Waccamaw State Park is within the range, and has longleaf pine savannah, so I would assume that Venus Flytraps are there as well. Other natural areas within ~100 km of Wilmington would be additional sites.

I’ve been there several times, as it is only 32 km (straight line, roads are more like 52) from two of the fossil sites that I’ve been to a lot (more like 47 km straight line and 75 by roads from the other).

The pictures with flowers were from early June.

1 Like

It could be the yellow pitcher plant. I’ve not seen pale, green or yellow pitcher plants in person yet. Maybe this year.

1 Like

Carolina Redroot.

Yellow Butterwort. The leaves, just like on many other carnivorous plants, develops this sticky substance that attracts insects to it which then get stuck.

Any hill with a view among the deadly plants. I often find dozens and dozens of ants in the pitcher plants.

5 Likes

I wonder what it is. I wonder…… I will probably do it in a bit. Been hiking for about 6 miles. Found this one which is #2 of 3 I guess.

2 Likes

Looks like geocaching

1 Like