Creation Photos Around the World

We are not far from New Braunfels to the southeast and Fredericksburg to the southwest, so have a lot of German influence in the area. Lots of good sausage and pastries. Fredericksburg is the hometown of Chester Nimitz with a great museum named after him and his part in the next world war.

1 Like

Do you mean something more than the fact that the Nimitz is one of the largest warships in the world?

1 Like

So it seems that now they are all agreeing that Sarracenia purpurea is not in Alabama or Florida, but it’s restricted to the north east USA Atlantic coasts and the Sarracenia in the south east, extreme south east of coastal Alabama, Georgia and Florida is the Sarracenia Rosea. Which is what I was told back in 2015, and for two years on the herbarium site for Florida and Alabama it was listed S. rosea but then a few years ago it was listed again as S. purpurea and then changed to S. purpurea subsp. Rosea and now for the last year or two it’s been S. rosea again lol. I’ve noticed this genus will sometime flip and flop between species and subspecies for a while. Which is common I guess in many but I normally don’t come across it myself. Probably because when that’s happenings, the differences are typically those that require magnifying glasses and measurements smaller than an 1/8th.

But the rosea definitely stood out because of color schemes. Though I did recently see a subspecies of it listed in southern Florida as S. rosea subsp. purpurea lol. So they all might shift again.

Poorly worded. The next after WWI that was referenced. Anyway, the museum of the Pacific War honoring Chester Nimitz is part of the Smithsonian system, and is really well done.

1 Like

Our crocuses are doing their best.

6 Likes

Got to admire their resolve.

3 Likes

In this case, they were up before the snow came.

2 Likes

Even so it is pretty inspiring to see those furled petals standing up to the snow.

Here are some Iochroma flowers taken early in the morning when the sun was still shining under the trees next door. Not quite the same without the snow.

Imgur

2 Likes

Mitchella Repens. “ partridgeberry “

Galls. Kinds of reminds me of some horror scene of a bubbling mutation on a plant as it begins to go through some alien metamorphosis.

Wild Garlic.

this is poison ivy.

The male ( first ) and female ( second ) flowers of the yaupon holly.

3 Likes

As I was scrolling down I missed your label and I said to myself “That’s poison ivy!” even though I haven’t seen it for years, maybe a couple of decades. Scrolling back up, sho’nuff. I had more than enough experience with it in my youth though!

And those delicate blossoms are nice!

1 Like

I can’t wait until I have a macro lens and camera so I can really get some good shots of these small flowers. All of them are really small flowers. The largest is the wild garlic and it’s still just around 5/8ths and the holly flowers are about 1/4 an inch. I think poison ivy is pretty, but I prefer it as a ground cover in the wild being held in check by nature. I don’t like it when it swarms a fence and you have to cut and pull, or spray it. If there is nothing for it to climb, and it’s kind of just hanging on it’s a decent ground cover though. Obviously comes with its own set of challenges.

2 Likes

We have a non-vining three-leaf variation of virginia creeper or something, that when we first lived out here I was afraid it was poison ivy, and it’s all over the place. I was glad when it turned out not to be, but it’s a good mimic!

Those tiny blossoms are cool. I’m reminded of the delicate narrowleaf milkweed blossoms that we have here that are easy to miss, but they’re not quite that small.

1 Like

Well, maybe they are that small. This is from several years ago (and in July ; - ) …

2 Likes

Poison ivy some variation in leaf forms, and it seems what we have here has more scalloped leaves.

4 Likes

Love your description of the galls. My reaction is similar, although not informed by horror films.

This might help…

1 Like

Patridgeberry tends to have fruits here roughly mid-April through late May. BTW, the fruits are edible (not much flavor, but edible).

1 Like

I know the photos are not necessarily very photogenic but it’s still wonderful living way out here in the woods with the creek running along the side and back property. At night you hear thousands of crickets and frogs and at day thousands of birds.

Also some pics I found amusing if Uhyre watching a werewolf horror movie from under the covers with me.

6 Likes

Flags furled. ; - )

2 Likes

The crocuses survived the snow quite nicely.

Photographically, this picture was something of a flop. I was trying to make a focus stack of the crocuses. So I spent a painful 15 minutes crouched low, camera almost flat on the ground, a towel over my head and camera so I could see the viewscreen (old school photography!), first setting up the shot and then taking the pictures with one hand while holding a snow shovel in the other to shelter the flowers from the breeze. Then, when I looked at the pictures later that day, I discovered that during the 4 minutes and 11 seconds between the first and last exposure, the flowers had gone from this

to this

Nice to see flowers changing so rapidly but not good for stacking images.

4 Likes