Climate Change: Are the solutions worse than the problems?

How much? . . .

No they are only talk .

Not sure. But there are strong companies out there (like Interface) and some startups. Probably nothing is good enough for you.

Are you really so sure?

Yeah, technology has plateaued. :grin:

I wonder about tidal turbines. The wind and the sky aren’t too likely to affect the moon. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeap ,it is likw that

A recent paper:

Tidal Stream vs. Wind Energy: The Value of Cyclic Power When Combined with Short-Term Storage in Hybrid Systems

Nuclear is. The only proven, 24 7 technology. Virtuous PV has a way to go. Carbon capture is irrelevant, a bad joke, bad sci-fi, it can never be applied to a fossil power station. Never, as in never.

Maybe by itself, but as a complement to multiple other plateaued technologies – and don’t forget all the finished science.

“Carbon Capture Technologies Are Improving Nicely” May 7, 2021

1 Like

Do you have access to the New York Times? They just had a big climate issue. I think you would find it interesting.

Nuclear must be safe and waste disposal is an intractable problem. A long way to safe and secure nuclear.

CO2 capture from old coal fuelled power stations is a pipedream - the way forward is:

• oxycombustion to give CO2/H2O flue gases, condense water out to leave CO2; generate electricity at >45% efficiency.
  • react CO2 with H2 ro yield useful products (eg methanol production is proven commercially).
  • use unused power (low demand periods) to produce H2 and O2 from captured water.
  • manage the grid with fossil zero and renewables to provide a secure and affordable zero emissions power.
  • electrify transport.

All aspects are viable and affordable. Standing in our way are old inneficient power generators and political interference/ideologies.

1 Like

I looked at the web page but I could not find the issue you mentioned.

It’s not going to happen. As in it’s not happening. Especially for power. It’s capital intensive, inefficient, expensive, unprofitable and embraces a cheap and nasty - unChristian - shallow ecology worldview. Nuclear is the safest extraction based energy period. And the only issue with waste is political: NIMBYs. For no rational reason whatsoever. What’s insecure about it?

I will have some links up shortly…

There are ways to help, on all scales. What doesn’t help is sitting with your finger up your nose and grouching.

Has the CarbonTech Revolution Begun?

Science can now pull carbon out of the air. For that to make a difference, though, businesses need to find profitable places to put it.

Can Massive Cargo Ships use Wind to Go Green?

Cargo vessels belch almost as much carbon into the air each year as the entire continent of South America. Modern sails could have a surprising impact.

@Dale and @GJDS Let me know if you can’t access these articles as I can always email you a copy.

1 Like

Change is acomin’.

It’s Some of America’s Richest Farmland. But What Is It Without Water?

A California farmer decides it makes better business sense to sell his water than to grow rice. An almond farmer considers uprooting his trees to put up solar panels. Drought is transforming the state, with broad consequences for the food supply.

1 Like

@GJDS

I’m sure you know of this:

…and I expect any articles in said special edition would be listed here as well.

1 Like

@GJDS We can email any NYT articles you’d like to read.

Scary, isn’t it?