Climate Change: Are the solutions worse than the problems?

The most frequent mandate in the Bible is “Don’t be afraid” or one of its several variations – “Be anxious for nothing”, “Fret not”, … That’s easy for me to say, currently, anyway.

Drought was not my problem during two floods in Nebraska in 2019 that both made international news. The worst one for us was the second one:

I was glad I moved my old pickup the night before from the lower spot I usually keep it after I saw an online accessible irrigation rain gauge at the canal diversion in the river 20 miles west of us. It got 10" in under four hours that evening. We’ve been here 47 years and had never seen anything like it before. But I slept soundly until my dear neighbor called after her husband had looked down our way. “Have you looked out?! Are you guys okay??” The photo was taken about 15 minutes after her call – the rising sun is reflecting in the cornfield north of the trees. Thankfully the water had stopped rising, though. The water line behind the front wheels is six feet from the garage door. So I was – and am – thankful, and I know to Whom.

And yes, I will attribute it to climate change.

(Our neighbor’s view, sans water.)

1 Like

The “worst flooding” we have had locally (16 months ago) got the local rivers to the highest since measurements started: 6-8 meters above normal level (for reference, every substantial thunderstorm that comes through raises them about 1 meter above normal).

I know of almost no damage to anything, since the river valleys are steep enough that nobody builds in them.

1 Like

You do not seem to understand oxycombustion and the difference between inefficient old coal fuelled power plant (that should be shut down) and modern high efficiency ones nr do you understand the rest of my points.

Nuclear has to make many advances before it is safe etc. Thus:

Government leadership and support from policymakers is needed to instill confidence in the investment community towards nuclear energy, Sama Bilbao y León, director general of World Nuclear Association, said on 24 June during a side event held as part of the UN Ministerial Thematic Forums for the High-level Dialogue on Energy that will take place in September. The side event - Nuclear energy’s contribution to net zero and the sustainable development goals - was organised by World Nuclear Association together with Canadian Nuclear Association, Foratom, the Japan Atomic Industry Forum and the Nuclear Energy Institute, and sponsored by the Clean Energy Ministerial NICE Future initiative.

And:

The UK must develop advanced nuclear fuels and fuel cycle technologies in order to meet its clean energy ambitions, according to a new series of roadmaps released by the National Nuclear Laboratory. The roadmaps, it says, will enable UK policy makers and industry to plan for the future of nuclear in delivering net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

1 Like

Thanks @beaglelady - there are many ways that CO2 may be utilised. The best way to get it from the air is trees and vegetation. Capturing CO2 from fossil fueled plant requires innovation as it is expensive to get it from old air/coal power stations.

The International Energy Agency has a division that has published high technical quaility reports that show how CO2 can be utilised from fossil fueled plant, and ultimately to build zero-emissions power generation.

1 Like

Yes, thanks

1 Like

Did you notice that Interface is carbon negative?

Holy Cow! 

Sometimes fear is good and keeps us alive.

1 Like

Fight or flight for the first 90 seconds, anyway. And there are lots of folks that are not giving COVID enough ‘respect’!

1 Like

You don’t seem to understand that I understand perfectly well. Why wouldn’t I? You don’t understand that nuclear is the safest fuel bar none and I don’t understand the relevance of those quotes.

Carbon Capture and Storage/Sequestration - which adds up to 60% to the cost of electricity:

Pilot plants

There are pilot plants undergoing initial proof-of-concept testing to evaluate the technologies for scaling up to commercial plants, including

Shut down 5 years ago.

Vattenfall stopped carbon capture R&D at the plant in 2014 because they found that “its costs and the energy it requires make the technology unviable”.

The facility was meant to serve as a prototype for larger power plants. Back in 2005 environmentalists criticized the facility. In their opinion a greater impact on the reduction of global warming could have been obtained for the same money through investments in renewable energies and efficient power production and use.

Nice pictures.

Abu Dhabi flying the flag for GAS.

White Rose plant

One case study of oxy-fuel combustion is the attempted White Rose plant in North Yorkshire, United Kingdom. The planned project was an oxy-fuel power plant coupled with air separation to capture two million tons of carbon dioxide per year. The carbon dioxide would then be delivered by pipeline to be sequestered in a saline aquifer beneath the North Sea. However, in late 2015 and early 2016, following withdrawal of funding by the Drax Group and the U.K. government, construction was halted.

SeekerKid — great questions and I have read most of them as well. Where there is human life, there is waste. We are called to be good stewards of God’s creation, but that seems to be a very complex proposition!

This is interesting, speaking of finished science and plateaued technology:

‘You want a superconducting wire or you want normal wires?’ :grin:

1 Like

Bah humbug!

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.