Climate Change: Are the solutions worse than the problems?

Ill say it again. Its a matter of politics and big coroerations. Unless these change we are not able to do anything. Too much talk too little practise

Did you mean “corporations” there, Nick? If so, I agree. There is too little good talk in corporate boardrooms, much less good action. But they are very active on the PR front: that is, how to cultivate a greener image for their brand!

1 Like

Yes thats exactly what i meant . I completely agree . Of course they are all talk and no action

Climate change is real because the levels of CO2 are increasing in the atmosphere.

Solutions would require action across many areas, especially in the consumption of energy by communities.

in broad terms, technology that collects CO2 and uses it as a feedstock for making useful materials is an answer, as is increasing efficiencies, and this requires a number of improved technologies. The development of grids that respond to the variable demand for power, and also the electrification of the transport system, are improtant areas for improvements.

Eventually, a combination of high efficiency zero emissions fossil power plants, and renewables, new grids that use excess power to produce H2 and O2 from water (to be used to convert CO2 into valuable materials), will result in a systematic reduction of CO2 in the atmosphere, and enable great changes to power production worlwide.

Here is a recent NPR interview of a republican congressman heading up a newly formed: “Conservative Climate Caucus”. In a nutshell - he’s tired of Republicans being (and being perceived as) anti-environment.

1 Like

Where I live we couldn’t reuse either out plastic bags or our cloth ones during the pandemic. Now we can and rather than carry our purchases off in our baskets to a separate area to bag them ourselves we can even bag them at the register. Safeway was the worst, using many more bags than I would have and always giving me more new plastic ones.

Now it feels as though we’re back to normal with most stores requiring masks only of the unvaccinated, and that left to the honor system. Our local coffee joint has an outdoor, walk-up window and were open for most of the pandemic but had no self service for fine tuning the drinks. But just about a week ago I remember being shocked coming up to the window to order and the barista was unmasked too. One of my garden groups has organized a live tour for next month which I am looking forward to but there is one member who doesn’t own a car that I often drive and I’m wondering if I really want to share that enclosed space with anyone I don’t often see.

Just tax plastic bags. The effect is remarkable. Nobody throws them away. Plastic saved the turtle and the few killed by it decline with tax. We have a hard time finding enough for the homeless and vulnerably housed. They have to have paper bags for food. All food containers should be taxed, beer cans especially, coffee cups, so they can be redeemed. Not that that has anything to do with climate change, just aesthetics.

Just ban plastic products altogether?The harm they do to your body is remarkable

Like what? Plastic saved the planet.

I can relate to a tax, as I am cynical enough to believe it all comes down to economics. In energy, we insulate and turn the thermostat up (or down, depending on the season) to save money, not save the environment for the most part. We buy more efficient cars when gas prices are high to save money, not stop global warming.

2 Likes

Yeah botthering talking to you was a big mistake
I just lost half my braincells. Sorry to interupt you from your pink paradise. Farewell

Without nuclear and vast and virtuous solar there is no hope at all. Carbon capture is economically impossible and therefore zero emission fossil is as big a pipe dream as nuclear fusion.

Whoa! Did I just hear in there an implicit concession that we shouldn’t be looking toward fusion? I didn’t think you were capable of saying anything critical of nuclear!

Wind turbines pay for themselves in just a few months to a year.

Reflecting visible light back into the atmosphere would actually decrease global warming. This is why polar ice helps cool the planet because it increases the planet’s albedo. Carbon dioxide absorbs infrared radiation, not visible light, so the more visible light that isn’t absorbed by Earth is light that can’t get trapped by the greenhouse effect.

As seen above, carbon dioxide absorbs the infrared radiation emitted by the Earth which is why it is a greenhouse gas.

1 Like

Fortunately, there is hope. Fusion research teams believe the physics with new superconductors supports being able to generate a magnetic field at least 4X what is needed to contain and sustain a fusion reaction. The math apparently all works! https://www.psfc.mit.edu/sparc Many other projects around the world are also under way.

Pray that if there is something they are missing, that someone spots it early and they can all adjust effectively.

Only fission is viable, I’ve always said that.

Thanks for the clarification / reminder. I either don’t read carefully enough, or more likely just forget.

Or I don’t communicate effectively.

This guy does.

And yeah, he reckons fission has no place either. He’s wrong there.

Actually there are a number of very good companies out there doing great things in carbon utilization; it’s certainly not all talk. .

Yes, and it’s happening.