Any favorite Bible apps or versions?

I am in a Bible study where the leader is using the Life Application Study Bible App and reading from the NLT version, which seems to flow well and is very understandable. I am using the NRSV in a study Bible in the print version but it is a pain to lug around.
Any preference or comments about whatever Bible you are using in e-version or print? Any apps that are both easy to use and have good features?
I am sure we have done this before, but things change and we have new people to ask!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used Olive Tree for years. I used to use ESV, but I recently got the NASB with Strongā€™s, and I LOVE it. So nice to click on a word and see the Hebrew/Greek, definition, and be able to search other uses in the Bible with the click of a button. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m old fashioned so I only have a print version, but I use NKJV at the moment, and also The Message when it works for what Iā€™m doing.

I do like Bible Gateway and Blue Letter Bible as websites, but not sure whether they have apps.

I think they both have apps. I know BLB does. I sometimes will have that one open with two versions while i use Olive Tree. The one thing I donā€™t like about BLB is that you canā€™t go straight to the verse. Thatā€™s normally not a problem, but if youā€™re in a really long chapter, like Psalm 119, it can be an issue. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been looking for a good paper Bible, but I think I need to get reading glasses first. I want something I can read, with room to write in the margins, and thick enough paper for marking stuff up. I havenā€™t found what Iā€™m looking for, and I have a bunch of notes written in Olive Tree (which thankfully sync to the cloud).

1 Like

I was very fortunate that my family clubbed together to get Logos Bible Software when I was in seminary eight years ago. I use it exclusively now for all my personal bible reading/studying, sermon prep, and theology reading. Both the desktop and mobile apps are excellent.

They now have a free package called basics which gives you some resources and then allows you to just buy individual titles that you want as you go. Starter package is also reasonably priced, might be an option if you want go digital. Happy to answer any questions about it if you need.

In terms of bible versions, I tend to read the NIV2011 or the CSB for personal use. The NIV89 gets a lot of use too as that is our church pew bible. Iā€™m also a great fan of the audio bible function on the bible gateway app (ā€ŽBible on the AppĀ Store). That gets a lot of use.

On a more family oriented note, We also have two large ESV bibles which are momento bibles for each our boys. We write notes, quotes, and things that have struck us from our own bible reading in the margins for them to read when they get older. Often things from my sermon prep that donā€™t make it into the final cut end up in there. I simply duplicate the same things in both bibles. Occasionally, weā€™ll write ā€˜we love youā€™ or ā€˜weā€™re proud of youā€™ on a random page for them to find when they read it through.

3 Likes

Study Bible definitely is too big to take out of the house. I donā€™t like apps for study groups because notifications pop up on my phone. If Iā€™m teaching, I have an old NASB filled with my own notes and cross-references. If Iā€™m a participant, Iā€™ll grab a ā€œthinā€ NRSV or NIV just to follow along with the text.

Pretty sure that was no help. Sorry!

1 Like

I have looked at some of the wide margin or journaling Bibles, and they look great for that. Here is an blog entry about them: Choosing and using a wide-margin Bible for spiritual growth ā€“ GeoChristian

I use an ESV app on my phone, because the price was right (free), it downloaded the full text so not dependent on internet access, but not very readable in the usual Bible study group we have.
I can see your point Jay, to avoid phone notifications. Maybe could put in airplane mode during those times?

Yes, I was looking at those in the local Christian bookstore. Most have print too small for me right now. Again, the solution is probably to break down and realize Iā€™m over 40 and need glasses for reading now. :wink: In ESV, I needed what they call ā€œGiant printā€, and in NASB I needed what they call ā€œLarge printā€. Those were the same font sizes. :woman_shrugging:

I have a wide margin NKJV, but the print is just too small to be of use. My phone was easier to read.

I usually put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode during Bible study.

It would mean carrying another device, but an iPad or other tablet. with the ability to adjust font seems to be where I am headed for those reasons.

2 Likes

My 11 year old son has really taken off with ā€œThe Message,ā€ to the point that where he had been fairly bored with other versions, heā€™s read portions to his younger brother and sister spontaneously. I like it too, though I still use NIV mostly. However, does anyone else find that when they try to help their kids with Awana or other memory verses, the KJV you originally memorised in comes back and confuses you? My wife told me she has the same problem (but I think she is sharper and prevents that from mixing her up so much).

Iā€™ve been getting rusty in my French and Hausa from Niger, and as a result have been trying to use a French Bible for devotions at times. My wife gave me a parallel NIV and French ā€œSowerā€™s Bible,ā€ which has had the unexpected help of giving different perspectives and insights in parallel passagesā€“almost like using a different English version does. I wonder if anyone else finds the same thing in using different languages.

2 Likes

I grew up in a church that didnā€™t memorize scripture (sadly), so I donā€™t have that specific problem, but my current church used to use NKJV mostly for years, then switched to ESV (everyone still uses whatever they want, but class materials and sermon slides will quote the particular version the congregation usesā€¦ unless multiple versions are being quoted for comparisonā€™s sake, of course). My kids were learning NKJV memory verses, then some classes switched to ESV while some werenā€™t updated yet. And now I use mostly ESV or NASB and have no clue which one to focus on memorizing. Too many choices! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m partial to the BibleHub website for its versatility and scope. It includes interlinear translations and a multiplicity of versions, along with Strongā€™s concordance and lexicon as well as commentaries and sermons. It is also multilingual. (There is also an app, but I havenā€™t used it.)

I like the Youngā€™s Literal Translation where you see the present continuous tense:

ā€¦he who is having my commands, and is keeping them, that one it is who is loving me, and he who is loving me shall be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.ā€™

and

I am the vine, ye the branches; he who is remaining in me, and I in him, this one doth bear much fruit, because apart from me ye are not able to do anything;

2 Likes

My church switched from KJV to NIV books somewhere in the middle of my Awana career, so yes, I mix them up all the time. I prefer NIV but once in a while a ā€œpropitiationā€ tries to sneak in there. :wink: Psalm 23 would be a mess if I didnā€™t have the Keith Green song to listen to. :smiley:

2 Likes

I like NLT best. Most of my ā€œmemory workā€ in life was done in NIV '84 though, so that is what I can quote.

But I am currently reading through Psalms in the VOICE translation and enjoying it for a change.

I use biblehub as well particularly when it comes to comparing different translations to see how different people struggled with translating meaning and how long it took them to figure out the two ā€œnoā€™sā€ in exodus 21:21 that deals with the personal injury laws,e.g. killing or injuring a fellow israelite or a slave. If ā€œdelayed deathā€ was a special case it would also have hat to be mentioned with regards to the israelite. To understand that change in translation is great when debating a text

New International Version
but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

New Living Translation
But if the slave recovers within a day or two, then the owner shall not be punished, since the slave is his property.

English Standard Version
But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Berean Study Bible
However, if the servant gets up after a day or two, the owner shall not be punished, since the servant is his property.

New American Standard Bible
"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.

New King James Version
Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

King James Bible
Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

I downloaded the biblehub app for free and it looks like the biblegateway wants $3.99 a month for the commentaries in your pocket, but I might have gotten that wrong

1 Like

I like Glo for an app:

https://globible.com/

and Biblegateway as a site:

1 Like

I use the YouVersion Bible App. Good when i need to look something up and i donā€™t have a Bible near me.

3 Likes

Since promoting Scripture access and use is basically my life work, Iā€™ll stick in a commercial for Scripture Earth. :smiley::+1:

This website was developed by some colleagues of mine and gives access to minority language Scripture resources in almost every language that has had Bible translation work done and digitized.

Many minority language speakers now live as immigrants in other countries, so if you are ever talking with someone, and you find out they speak a minority language, encourage them to (or help them) check out Scripture Earth. There is nothing like reading the Bible in the language you know best and many people do not even know that is possible.

9 Likes

I use the Jewish Study Bible for my daily studies. Picked it up at a university book store, pretty great commentaries, essays and overviews of the Biblical books. I especially enjoy reading the daily Tehilim with it. I for one had no idea that psalm 45 was originally for the wedding of Ahab and Jezebel (perhaps the psalmist didnā€™t know what would come of his reign at the time)

3 Likes

I have been enjoying the Blue Letter Bible app. It gives you interlinear and abilities to check out Greek and Hebrew words. But after seeing suggestions on this thread, it sounds like there are a few other apps I may want to check out.

1 Like