Zoom Conversation with Science and Theology Scholar Dr. Ilia Delio (Thursday Jan 14 at 7 pm)

Live Facebook/ Zoom Conversation with Dr. Ilia Delio and EBA to discus the challenge of reconciling evolution and religion. She will talk about how evolution works for religious systems, as physical reality and spiritual reality are intertwined.

Ilia Delio, OSF, PhD is a Franciscan Sister of Washington, DC and American theologian specializing in the area of science and religion. She is the author of 20 books including Re-Enchanting the Earth; Birth of a Dancing Star; and Unbearable Wholeness of Being.

Ilia is a rare theologian with doctoral degrees in both science and theology. She is a teacher at heart. She longs for her reader to see what she sees… the vast interconnectedness of human beings, God, and the Universe. Hosted by Episcopal Shoppe. It’s free and you may register here

1 Like

Reminder: this program is streaming tonight on zoom at 7 pm EST. (Be sure to register at the link above.) Bring any questions you have.

I thought Biologos would find this interesting since it’s about science faith and Biologos is supposed to be all about about science and faith.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting.

These two statements stuck out to me the most:

“There’s no evolution apart from mysticism” - Sr. Ilia Delio

“Why doesn’t the Church accept evolution? If it accepts it all of our doctrines are going to fall like dominoes [half chuckling] … it would require major overhaul in doctrine” – Sr. Ilia Delio

With this, she was using the same language as McLuhan, which was helpful:

“AI is [not an evolution, but rather] an extension of what we are, not a replacement of what we are.” – Sr. Ilia Delio

1 Like

Thank you for watching!

Again, thanks for sending the link. If you were there, then you likely saw my question to her (which she didn’t answer), and also heard her reaction to the citation of “Understanding Media: The Extensions of Mankind [sic]”.

She responded (within 2 seconds of me pressing “send”!) with: “yes, Marshall McLuhan is excellent” with his “incarnational” view of media & technology. She said “MM was deeply Catholic wrt to technology”. She had been using “extension” language prior to that (which is quite a different language than “evolution”, though she didn’t seem to acknowledge that), which is why I noted that text for her listeners, and I was pleased she immediately saw the valuable connection.

I wonder if I was the only one who saw it here & watched. The Teilhardianism from Delio should at least appeal to @AntoineSuarez and @aleo. She heads a “Centre for Christogenesis”, Teilhard’s terminology, which is right up their alley, one would think.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.