World/Early History Books/Resources from a Non-Darwinian Perspective?

Hi all,
I’ve always had a curiosity about Intelligent Design, Creation, etc. but I don’t know a great deal about it.
Anyway, I was recently reading a World History book, and it was fascinating up to a point, and that point being the pervasive Darwinian perspective it had. (It was actually an old HG Wells world history, so I can only imagine modern books would be even “worse”.)

So long story short, I’m wondering if you guys could recommend me books, particularly world history, that doesn’t have a strong Darwinian point of view.

As a second, less important point, I just read the Intelligent Design page on wikipedia - What do you think of the first paragraph’s description of Intelligent Design? Biased or not? I think biased…

Anyway, thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello there @cristero. Just kind of wondering what exactly do you mean by pervasive Darwinian perspective in the world history book? I would even be curious if you could get a specific as providing a specific page or paragraph or sentence that demonstrates what you mean.

4 Likes

Without having read the first paragraph anytime recently, I imagine yes it’s probably biased because intelligent design in general is biased and dismissive towards science. They favor gaps and misrepresentations.

I’m also curious what do you mean by history books by a non Darwinian perspective. I’m assuming you mean some kind of history book ( like natural history or modern human history since writing has been developed).

Do you mean a history based off of young earth creationism? Like books about dinosaurs being used to build the pyramid type stuff?

Well, I guess these might be safe enough:

Available at the Library of Congress, Washington D.C.

These were located in WorldCat. They are held at various libraries around the world. Many may already have been digitized and could be available online in digital collections like Google Books and Hathi Trust.

Researches concerning the institutions & monuments of the ancient inhabitants of America : with descriptions & views of some of the most striking scenes in the Cordilleras! /
Author: Humboldt, Alexander von, 1769-1859, author.; Williams, Helen Maria,; Visconti, Ennio Quirino, and others
Publication: London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown, J. Murray & H. Colburn, London : J. G. Barnard, Skinner Street London : Barnard and Farley, Skinner Street 1814
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide : 185 (3 Committed to Retain)

Cosmography in four books : containing the chorography and history of the whole world, and all the principal kingdoms, provinces, seas, and isles thereof /
Author: Heylyn, Peter, 1600-1662. Publication: London : Printed by A.C. for P. Chetwind and A. Seile, 1677
Document: English : Book : Microform Internet Resource
Libraries Worldwide : 152

A chronological history of the discoveries in the South Sea or Pacific Ocean … /
Author: Burney, James, 1750-1821.; Hansard, Luke,; Payne, Thomas, and others Publication: London : Printed by Luke Hansard, near Lincoln’s-Inn fields, and sold by G. and W. Nicol, booksellers to His Majesty, Pall Mall ; G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster Row ; J. Robson, New Bond-Street ; T. Payne, Mew’s-Gate ; and Cadell and Davies, in the Strand, 1803-1817
Document: English : Book Internet Resource
Libraries Worldwide : 141 (1 Committed to Retain)

An account of the European settlements in America : In six parts. I.A short history of the discovery of that part of the world. II. The manners and customs of the original inhabitants. III. Of the Spanish settlements. IV. Of the Portuguese. V. Of the French, Dutch, and Danish. VI. Of the English.
Author: Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797.; Burke, William,
Publication: London : R. and J. Dodsley, 1758
Document: English : Book : Microform
Libraries Worldwide : 116

The American gazetteer : exhibiting a full account of the civil divisions, rivers, harbors, Indian tribes, &c. of the American continent: also of the West-India, and other appendant islands : with a particular description of Louisiana /
Author: Morse, Jedidiah, 1761-1826, compiler.
Publication: Boston, Mass. : Published by Thomas & Andrews. J.T. Buckingham, printer, 1810
Libraries Worldwide : 115 (1 Committed to Retain)

Historical researches on the conquest of Peru, Mexico, Bogota, Natchez, and Talomeco, In the Thirteenth Century, by the Mongols, accompanied with elephants : and the local agreement of history and tradition, with the remains of elephants and mastodontes, found in the new world … : With two maps, and portraits of all the Incas, and Montezuma. /
Author: Ranking, John, author.; Swaine, John,; M’Dowall, W.
Publication: London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, London : W. M’Dowall, printer, Pemberton-row, Gough-square. 1827
Libraries Worldwide : 100 (1 Committed to Retain)

An Universal history, from the earliest account of time.
Author: Sale, George,; Psalmanazar, George, and others
Publication: London, Printed for T. Osborne 1747-1768
Libraries Worldwide : 92 (2 Committed to Retain)

An institution of general history : from the beginning of the vvorld to the monarchy of Constantine the Great : composed in such method and manner as never yet was extant /
Author: Howell, William, 1631 or 1632-1683. Publication: London : Printed for Henry Herringman, 1661
Libraries Worldwide : 90

Ductor historicus, or, A short system of universal history and an introduction to the study of that science : containing a chronology of the most celebrated persons and actions from the creation to this time, a compendious history of … transactions … of the ancient monarchies and governments of the world, an account of the writings of the most noted historians … together with definitions and explications of terms used in history and chronology, and general instructions for the reading of history /
Author: Hearne, Thomas, 1678-1735.; Vallemont, Publication: London : Printed for Tim. Childe …, 1698
Libraries Worldwide : 89

Sorry. It would have been more sensible of me to ask clarifying questions about what you mean, what kind of history you intend to find out, what you mean by darwinism, etc, etc, etc.

3 Likes

What is the name of this World History book you mention? Who wrote it? When was it published?

Look for books published before Darwin’s “Origin of Species” was written.

Similarly, if you want medical books that don’t have a Germ Theory bias, find some medieval publications.

2 Likes

Greetings! When I was in home school, for a few years, we had “Abeka” book, by the Pensacola Christian Correspondence School. Their history book for kids, “History of the World In the Christian Perspective,” recounted it from a very narrow, fundamentalist perspective like Ken Ham. For example, all death and suffering came from sin. I am afraid that I don’t recommend them, but to understand a point of view, you might find them interesting. They are very narrow in other areas as well–very critical of all but a very narrow band of Protestant Christianity. I’m sad, because there are some truly good people who are taken in by that.

Abeka History of the World in Christian Perspective, Fifth Edition - Christianbook.com

I look forward to your thoughts.

Randy

2 Likes

@cristero I actually have his “A Short History of the World” which I have probably had for more than 60 years. Small world isn’t it.

Probably something like this.

Hi, I just mean that the history book began from the very beginning of history, and described the process of development of life on earth from a purely naturalistic, Darwinian point of view. I don’t accept such things as common descent, and a fair bit of Darwinism, etc. The details of the book weren’t too important, just the perspective it came from.

This was a slightly dismissive reply - I’m not a young earth creationist and I don’t want a book, as you put it,

about dinosaurs being used to build the pyramid type stuff?

Appreciate you taking the time to share these! I had kind of figured anything pre 1800 would be safe but I had hoped there might be something more current available haha.

Thanks, but now, this isn’t what I’m looking for - I’m not a fundamentalist Christian, or Creationist.

1 Like

I’m beginning to realise from the responses that I might be on the wrong forum - Is this forum not friendly to Intelligent Design?

1922_______

Mods can you please remove this post? I appear to have wandered into the wrong forum. Thanks.

So what are you as you don’t know (it’s not a matter of belief) evolution?

It was not dismissive. It was an actual question to clarify what you were asking.

You said non Darwin based history. I presumed that means a history that rejects evolution. So what are some good books that talk about history without evolution.

Young earth creationist are the ones that are most anti evolution and they believe humans, wolves, fish, dolphins and dinosaurs all were created fully formed in the first week and lived at the same time. They believe things like humans utilized dinosaurs to build stuff. Like in the Flintstone cartoon.

So I legitimately was asking if you’re looking for something about natural history ( such as how canyons were formed and ect… ) or were you asking about human history within the context of humans being created fully formed along dinosaurs and what did that kind of world look like .

It was far from being dismissive or mocking. Your question made no sense and so I asked.

Thank you for being so gracious and helpful.

No one is being mean towards you. Some may believe in intelligent design. Many don’t. Then when it comes to intelligent design , some believe in intelligent design with the creation of the cosmos and laws, but not within biological life.

I don’t know enough about the universe to have an opinion. I have no real idea about how the universe came into being, what was before the universe is anything, how is the universe infinite and still growing and if it’s growing what’s outside of the universe or what the diagrams means when it shows the universe is curving and so on. I’ve never been interested in space outside of horror and sci fi. I only recently begin to enjoy learning constellations, and even then, I barely enjoy it. I’m just not interested in space and find it boring.

What I enjoy is biology. I enjoy waking up early and heading to a nature preserve that is nearby, or hours away. I get there and bring various field guides. I enjoy studying evolution. I often buy books on random things, like a 300 page book on roaches and read about their anatomy, natural history, anything in the fossil or genetic world and how they relate to mantises and so on.

So if the universe is best described by those who are Christians and scientists as being evident of a intelligent designer at some point I don’t really know. Don’t really care. It’s a non issue for me. But when it comes to intelligent design and biological life. I see no evidence for intelligent design. Not old earth creationism and not young earth creationism. My beliefs are best tied up as evolutionary creationism. A Christian who fully accepts the general scientific consensus by experts on how life shared a common ancestor and diverged from that over a few billion years. I even look at the gaps we have in abiogenesis and I accept it as a purely naturalistic process.

Some may have different opinions in here about this subject.

2 Likes

There many world history books though about humans that don’t go back very far and are about modern civilization. As a Christian, the books on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire and the books about the period between the “old and new testaments “ can really help you understand a lot of the end time talks.

The Huntington has some really cool books in this Asian garden materials. Such as the merchant and scholar wars over chrysanthemums vs plumb blossoms best representing Japanese strength. Lots of specific world history books that never dove into things like evolution.

Hey Christro!
My reply was pretty sarcastic. Sorry. I wouldn’t recommend any of those books as “safe,” at least if you want some close-to-objective view of history. But you won’t have to deal with any unwanted assumptions about evolution.
You mentioned

It all depends on what you want. If you are looking for a forum that offers support for ID, this won’t be the one you’re looking for.

Actually, if you’re not familiar at all with Biologos, I recommend looking through their library of articles on the organization site: http://biologos.org. As the forum can feel a lot like Bedlam at times, and conversations don’t address a particular matter in an organized way, unless you’re in the thick of it – and sometimes not even then.

Welcome. Sorry about the cool intro. Once you look over the articles library, I hope you’ll come back and start reading around. Actually, everyone you’ve heard from in this thread is someone I’d say is worth becoming acquainted with, and probably no one agrees completely on much. :upside_down_face:

Kendel

2 Likes