Why YEC are so dogmatic

Not at all. I am an ‘evolutionist’ and you did not get that idea from my words unless you misread! :slightly_smiling_face:

Doing good science is not obsessing. May I suggest that you recompose your mini-rant? :wink:

The greatest contribution of Genesis 1 to humanity is the 7 day week. It is recognized worldwide whether or not anyone thinks about where it came from. It is more than any other creation mythology can claim. American Evangelicals are exposing the reality that truth is an opinion that can only produce endless debate. Faith in God provides no enhanced discernment of empirical truth, so there is no reason to think it grants insight into abstract truth. Passion of belief is what drives human purpose, whether or not that belief is in actual truth. Thus, the dogma of YEC.

1 Like

Who does, then? Satan? Angels?

You so eagerly throw God out of the picture!

The Babylonians had a seven-day week before Israel did; Genesis was not required.

1 Like

Er, no, the Babylonians had an 8 day week.

It is now generally believed that the Babylonian myth was the basis of Genesis 1. In Genesis 1 God does 2 things on two days to give room for the Sabbath. Assuming it was formulated during the exhile, Genesis 1 afforms the Jewish beliefs of both the 7 day week and the sovereignty of God. In the Babylonian version the sun ad the moon create themselves and are demi-gods.

Richard

Not from my cursory google search. Do you have a citation?

It doesn’t matter who had the idea first. Genesis gave the 7 day week divine credibility that made it a worldwide standard. Genesis was required.

More like Emperor Constantine was required. He changed the Roman 8 day week into the 7 day week we now know and love. It was adopted world wide due the economic power of the West.

Where did Emperor Constantine get the belief that a 7 day week was a valuable pattern to establish? All of history is ‘required’ to get where we are today. You are free to take your pick as to where to place the credit for the established patterns of human civilization.

No. it is what I have been taught over the years from people who appeared to know and I have never queried it.

The Genesis version is clearly contracted from an eight-day version. It would make sense if it was from the time of the exile.

I concur with your Google search though.

Richard

Well, our measures of standard angles, Fahrenheit temperature, and time itself, are all courtesy of the sexagesimal system via Babylon, quite apart from Genesis.

2 Likes

Oh give it a rest!

if you and @Dale want to believe that God controls the weather who am I to argue, but I would politely suggest that you don’t tell it to your science friends. They may not be as polite as i am.

Suffice it to say that science has shown how the weather works. It is according to variations in barometric pressure and heat which cause imbalances that have to be rectified. Rain is formed when moisture Cools Condenses Rains. CCR happened to be the initials of my secondary School geography teacher.

God put the processes in place. There is no need for Him to get any further involved. besides, I can see absolutely no benefit in Him doing so, or any indication that He does. (And many reasons for believing that He doesn’t)

Richard

Were those things part of Babylon’s creation mythology?

Our science friends know the difference between science and any philosophical or theological implications there might be, which are a separate discussion. The ‘mechanical’ methodological scientific investigations that can be performed without a divine-o-meter have nothing to do with the latter. Our science friends might politely tell you that you are like Richard Dawkins who conflates the two. He is not a scientist when he does and is doing poor theology, thus not being in the fold with ‘our science friends’.

That sounds like you have never read about Jesus calming the storm on Galilee. :grin:

The only reference to an eight-day week for the Babylonians is that occasionally they used a longer week in order to get the week cycle matched back up with the lunar month cycle. The week was normally seven days, one day each for the seven heavenly bodies – sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, etc.
The seven-day week may go back to the Sumerians in which case the Babylonians inherited it.

The seven-day week was part of Babylonian mythology/cosmology in that it had one day for each of the heavenly ‘beings’, i.e. sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, etc.

Thinking of ancient cosmology, it’s interesting that the Creation account in Genesis follows the order of events in the Egyptian creation story but doesn’t adopt the Egyptian week, but instead matches the Babylonian week. (Egypt’s week had ten days.)

Fahrenheit temperature scale came from the physicist Daniel Fahrenheit back in the early eighteenth century. I can’t find anything that indicates a link to Babylon unless his original proposal putting 30 degrees as the freezing point of water and 90 degrees as the temperature of the human body that put a 60-degree difference between them has some link to the Babylonian system with its love of units of 60.
If you have something more definite, that would be great.

Richard always goes back to the mechanistic view – but that is contrary to scripture which tells us that He is “involved” in the creation of everything, and that means the clouds, the raindrops, the winds, etc. because “apart from Him has nothing been made that was made”.
If it happens, God is behind/under it, sustaining it and thereby giving it existence.

It’s ironic that he wrongly claims that evolution removes God from things while he actually does remove God from things – and openly disagrees with the scriptures in so doing!

2 Likes

Does Scripture say how the storm came to be in the first place?

How many more times are you going to confuse miracles with everyday life?

Forget it. You believe what you want. Just don’t expect me to believe the same or claim some sort of inferiority or lack of faith for not doing so.

Richard

1 Like

So why do you contradict yourself?

Jesus did not even break any natural laws. A man in a boat said something during a storm. What’s miraculous about that?