Why Pray for Ukraine?

7 Likes

The man who taught me chess as a child was a fugitive from that famine as a boy. He and his family left Ukraine and fled to Canada.

2 Likes

The first crusade, from Raymond d’Aguiliers:

But these were small matters compared to what happened at the Temple of Solomon, a place where religious services are ordinarily chanted. What happened there? If I tell the truth, it will exceed your powers of belief. So let it suffice to say this much, at least, that in the Temple and porch of Solomon, men rode in blood up to their knees and bridle reins. Indeed, it was a just and splendid judgment of God that this place should be filled with the blood of the unbelievers, since it had suffered so long from their blasphemies. The city was filled with corpses and blood.

Many of the inhabitants of Jerusalem had fled to the mosque there in hopes of safety. Internet History Sourcebooks: Medieval Sourcebook

1 Like

Hey Phil and @Trippy_Elixir ,
I was thinking of this thread during the sermon this morning, when we read 1 Timothy2:1-4:
“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quite life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

When we are praying for any group of people, particularly those at war, we aren’t necessarily taking political sides, but we are praying that they may live in peace and dignity and be able to live godly lives for the sake of the the gospel.

Elsewhere, particularly in the Psalms, we see plenty of prayers for worldly kingdoms and individuals to be delivered from enemy aggressors.

We don’t need to pray for one country’s victory against another, although sometimes I think that’s appropriate, too. But we should pray for peace for them.

5 Likes

That fits this well:

4 Likes

I have just been reading of the possibly 4,500 Russian dead–and imagining that there are so many children, wives, sweethearts and parents to whom their fathers, husbands, lovers and little boys will never return. The deaths are occurring in Ukraine, too. May God have mercy and heal.

3 Likes

At 6 a.m. (I don’t know whose, maybe USA eastern):

“Enemy troops, deprived of timely replenishment of fuel and ammunition, are stopped,” the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine said in a statement at 6 a.m. on Sunday. “The personnel of the occupying forces, the vast majority of whom are young conscripts, are exhausted by previous military exercises and have low morale.” NYT

2 Likes

I still cannot figure out why he would allow that to happen, just as people now are saying why would he let so many ukranians be killed, why doesn’t he stop this war if he is real?

1 Like

Big deal. Blame covid. Blame the west for bringing the end of the USSR. Please remember that NATO did not invade Rusia like Hitler did. The Russians brought down the USSR. That is no excuse to invade Ukraine, which has nothing to harm Russia, except demonstrate the bankrupt nature of Putinism.

This webpage is not about politics, it is about Faith and Science. It is about the Logos, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ does not approve of what Putin is doing. I do not think that anyone does except Putin himself.

Is Putin a Christian? I heard that he has the support of the Orthodox Church. The Orthodox Church traditionally supports the Russian government, but where are they now?

The Church should be above politics. The tragedy of the evangelical church is that it lost its way when it became a political tool of the right. War is not about politics. It is about morality and the invasion of Ukraine is morally bankrupt.

Russia has the might, but might does not make right. Putin will be stopped, the sooner the better. Pray for Ukraine. Pray for the soul of Russia. Pray for the spirit of the USA. Pray for the Church.

1 Like

It seems that you misunderstood what I wrote. I do not support Putin or accept the war.

I have tried to understand why Putin made such a big mistake and why many Russians, especially elder people, support him. What I wrote was an attempt to analyze his motives. Maybe the analyses were correct, maybe wrong. I hope that those dealing with Putin have a better understanding about his motives because that might help the negotiations and help ending the war.

1 Like

That is essentially the same as asking why doesn’t God take away free will.

Alot of people seem to think that “God gave us free will” isn’t a good enough explanation, so what explanation can you give them?

1 Like

It’s a mystery and we’ve all wondered about it.

1 Like

I can say, “That is the explanation, I’m sorry it is not good enough for you”?

I am sure that those dealing with Putin understand his motives, but I would say the real question is What has the Russian Church done to try to stop the war? Is the evangelical church going to allow gas prices partisanship to keep it from supporting democracy in Ukraine?

Kevin, stop asking what others think and get to know God for yourself. If you already know all there is to know about God, then write your own Bible and start your own cult.

When i said that (“why doesn’t he stop the war if he is real?”) I was referring to what others tend to ask, not saying that is what i think.

Whatever its effectiveness or lack thereof, there is very little else I can do. I also suffer from the feeling that prayer does nothing, but where else can we go?

3 Likes

Why? Because you care. It really is that simple. Because with prayer you are not walking over to the other side of the road like the Levite, but doing what you can. And maybe you will think of what more you can do.

Prayer is not a substitute for action. But as a first resort and a last resort it is NOT futile.

1. Because God exists.
  2. Because prayer changes you.
  3. Because it is better than simply saying there is nothing you can do and thus putting it out of your mind.

But by all means, if you can do more, then do more.

4 Likes

And prayer does have an effect, it is not just about changing us – God does answer prayer (we have some objective examples), just that we don’t always know how, when or where, depending on the prayer. Remember that we are to approach God as little children, toddlers even. Father’s don’t tell their children everything.

1 Like

That’s why the first reason is simply that God exists and not that Daddy does what his children tell him to do.

That is why that was only ONE of the reasons. But prayer DOES change us and that IS an important reason for prayer.