Where Do I Come From? My Experience with At-Home DNA Testing

I wrote a thing, everyone! :rofl::sweat_smile:

Hillary talks about her choice to do direct-to-consumer genetic testing as an international adoptee and her results.

5 Likes

I love this quote from you, Hillary: “Brushing everything else aside to say that my sole identity is “in Christ” is to diminish the reason that God made me who I am. My identity as a Christian allows me to reflect on and hold the pieces of my identity together, knowing that each part of me was created for God’s plan and purpose. Reflecting the image of God no matter where we come from and what we look like, we can celebrate that each piece of us is made to honor God.”

P.S. I see that archeology has been an important part of your journey to connect science and faith. Me too!

2 Likes

It is interesting to see what shows up. I wound up mostly a mix of European, but had a touch of North African, and a bit less Neanderthal than average. Only real surprise was no Native American, despite family lore. I did connect to a number of far flung cousins, but no real shocks. A few family scandals have come to light through conversations that made my family history a bit juicier. My great grandfather, who raised my Dad and who my Dad only described as “a hard man,” turns out to have spent time in prison for murder. Evidently, not something that came up at family reunions to discuss with the grandkids.

2 Likes

I’ve had a lot of conversations recently with other adoptees about the common “in Christ” identity conversation, and that grew from that! Glad it resonated with you.

And yes, My kindergarten teacher taught us about King Tut and I have been fascinated with Egypt ever since!

1 Like

Guess not! :rofl: Funny how those things seem to be forgotten…

You and every other American with the Indian Princess Grandma! In Oklahoma, this was basically e v e r y o n e.

1 Like

Yes, I really appreciated that part too. Truth be told, I thought the entire piece was very well written indeed.

My burning question for you, @HRankin, is whether you edited your own piece? Did you leave little comment boxes to yourself on the Google doc with suggested changes? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I did not!! Great question, though! :slight_smile: I definitely needed more eyes, which Jim and Kathryn both thankfully provided. The day I’m the only one vetting content is the day we may have some bigger problems around here. :rofl:

3 Likes

My dad’s family has had interesting things turn up through ancestry research and DNA testing. Turns out that one of my uncles was married to two women at one time (besides the other two marriages he’d had), and he had a daughter he didn’t know about. We learned about her through DNA testing while he was in the hospital, but he died before anyone could tell him about her. My dad and sister met her though.

Growing up, my dad had been told that his dad died in WW2. Turns out that wasn’t true. He died in the 1990’s. During the tail end of WW2, he was actually in prison. He’d been a mail carrier and had been caught throwing away some of the heavy bulk mail, and that got him in federal prison. That was embarrassing enough for the family to just tell people he was dead. My dad grew up in a foster home (his mother abandoned 5 children for who knows what reason), so family history was always spotty.

1 Like

I have come to terms with the fact that this desire may only be met someday in my own children.

this made me both happy and excited for you and also a little sad. I picture you hugging your little babe and saying “I made dis” lol

Really well written piece, I’m so glad that I finally read it!

1 Like

I probably will. Reminds me of Sad Gallbladder :rofl:: gallbladder

1 Like

Almost everyone seems surprised that they have no Native American despite what their parents claimed.

I am in the same situation.

But I do have more Neanderthal than average.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: made my day <3

1 Like