What’s the main reason, not reasons, on why you are a Christian?

It does go against the forum rules.

“Disingenuous” does not imply confusion on the part of the reader. It implies dishonesty on the part of the writer or even questioner.

My protests against being called “disingenuous” were deleted as part of an exchange in which it was applied to me for asking a question for clarification. Because I didn’t understand what was meant.

1 Like

“by means of a pretense of ignorance or unawareness” that sounds like drunken fist

Statements might be confusing a reader either because the other person is being disingenuous or because the reader misunderstood the statements.

Expressing confusion is a good term to use to bring a sense of heightened importance to this part of the conversation.

Absolutely. But it is not the reader’s place to determine if the writer was simply wrong, confused, or lying. Accusing the writer of being disingenuous, which has happened to me (I’ll refer you to the Penner thread but you won’t find the exchange, because Merv wisely deleted it.) when I asked for clarification, is not the place of the reader.

Being called a liar is of hightened importance to me. Because I am not one.

1 Like

I disagree as there are cases where this can be determined, and the course of action is not to dismiss it but to express confusion I believe.

For example:

Express confusion

Do not use the “d” word to do it.

3 Likes

I’m going to do one better than they, and assume that the one who accuses me of disingenuity is not being disingenuous about my intent, but merely confused ;), so I’ll express confusion about their being confused. Haha.

Seriously, that’s a great response. Thanks. I agree. And then–maybe the Biblical suggestion of confronting, then reporting to the elders (mods) if not responding.

2 Likes

Great question, but even here, often scientists miscommunicate. I agree with Kendel–accusation of bad intent does not help communication at all. It is very important to always assume good intent on the other person’s part. It’s in keeping with the Forum recommendations, to my understanding.
Thanks.

2 Likes

As @Kendel referenced elsewhere the confusion could be the result of a guileless writer

1 Like

If you mean someone who says what he doesn’t mean and makes a mistake, that’s totally me, often!

2 Likes

I always find you without guile, Randy.

1 Like

I have also made this mistake, which sometimes comes from not really understanding what you are feeling, and have had to apologize.

This has put me, I suppose, on the guileful list of @Kendel

1 Like
  • Or, to use heymike3’s phrase, giving voice to “a drunken fist”.
1 Like
  • There goes that “shame bell” again, … :wink:

Fix it, and move forward.

Fix what? Or do you mean drop it?

I make a lot of mistakes–no one’s perfect. I have had to apologize to my kids for attributing ill intent to them. I really feel bad about that.
Jesus’ words, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing,” make me really think.

1 Like

This is so true! And it brings up a really complicated issue with how do you confront your kids when you are almost sure they are lying to you. Kind of relates here a little.

My parents scared me good by telling me they could tell when I was lying to them. My kids haven’t done so well with that lesson I tried on them. They probably saw right through it.

• I had a boss in the IRS who “cured” me of prevarication when he told me: “Ya know, you wouldn’t have trouble remembering the truth if you told it the first time.”
2 Likes