What new books should go on our "Recommended Books" page?

Our current list can be found here: http://biologos.org/resources/books

What our other books have you read that proclaim the harmony of science and Christian faith in an excellent and accessible way? We are always looking for new books to feature and recommend.

1 Like
  • Dennis Lamoureux’s Evolutionary Creation and I Love Jesus & I Accept Evolution
  • Gordon J. Glover’s Beyond the Firmament
  • Kenneth R. Miller’s Finding Darwin’s God
  • Keith B. Miller’s Perspectives on an Evolving Creation
  • Richard Colling’s Random Designer
2 Likes

One of the very best I’ve ever read in this category is a book called “Paradigms on Pilgrimage”. It is co-authored by Dr. Stephen J. Godfrey (Paleontology) and Rev. Dr. Christopher R. Smith and they describe their journey from strict creationism to a theistic evolutionary perspective. It is very accessible and interesting and does an excellent job of addressing both the scientific evidence for evolution and the Biblical reasons for rejecting a so-called literal reading of Genesis 1-2. I can’t recommend it enough, it would make an excellent addition to the list of recommended books.

I would also recommend “Where the Conflict Really Lies” by Alvin Plantinga. Although a bit heavy for the casual reader, it is definitely a definitive text on the issue of making metaphysical claims that go beyond what science can really address. He also presents a very powerful evolutionary argument against naturalism (atheism) in that book which makes the book worth reading just for that nugget.

1 Like

Relics of Eden by Daniel Fairbanks. Fairbanks is a Mormon molecular biologist. The book focuses on the common descent of humans and other primates. He isn’t selling Mormonism per se in this book, but obviously he is sympathetic to belief in God. The author did some of the research that he uses in the book. It has the merit of being brief as well. He doesn’t get involved much in trying to solve any theological problems that arise.

The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible Does and Doesn’t Say about Human Origins by Peter Enns
Four Views on the Historical Adam by Ardel B. Caneday
The Creationists: The Evolution of Scientific Creationism by Ronald L. Numbers
In the Beginning… We Misunderstood: Interpreting Genesis 1 in Its Original Context by Johnny V. Miller
Seven Days That Divide the World: The Beginning According to Genesis and Science by John Lennox
Life’s Solution: Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe by Simon Conway Morris
Reading Genesis One by Rodney Whitefield
Theology After Darwin by R. J. Berry
Darwin, Creation and the Fall: Theological Challenges by R. J. Berry
Reading Genesis after Darwin by Stephen C Barton
Exploring Faith and Reason: The Reconciliation of Christianity and Biological Evolution by Bruce Glass
Honest to Genesis: A Biblical and Scientific Challenge to Creationism by Margaret Gray Towne
Mapping the Origins Debate: Six Models of the Beginning of Everything by Gerald Rau
The Groaning of Creation: God, Evolution, and the Problem of Evil by Christopher Southgate
Death Before the Fall: Biblical Literalism and the Problem of Animal Suffering by Ronald E. Osborn
Why Evolution is True by Jerry A. Coyne
Your Inner Fish: A journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin
Evolution" What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters by Donald R. Prothero
Making Sense of the Bible by Adam Hamilton

3 Likes

When will the list likely be updated and how will it be decided what books will be added? Like I said above, I really think “Paradigms on Pilgrimage” is one of the best I’ve read out of a good 30-40 on the subject.

Thanks!

1 Like

We’re putting together the new list, but I don’t think it will go up until about mid-year. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brad,
I’ve been mildly chastised in the past for mentioning our book, but this post looks like the right time and place to mention it. May I suggest that you include the following book in your list of recommended reading that address the harmony between scripture and science. "How Did God Do It? A Symphony of Science and Scripture." Info on the website: www.HowDidGodDoIt.com

I’m new here - I travel frequently for work and my standard practice in airports across the USA is to read the Biologos forum!

One book in particular was a key element used by the Holy Spirit to save my faith when I was struggling with the near-certain reality of an old earth and evolution during my grad school studies in geophysics. It was Life’s Solution, Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe by Simon Conway Morris. I’ve recommended it to many, many friends over the years. I see that Paul recommended this in his list above and I wanted to second it!

Many blessings on your ministry,
John Cortines

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.