What is the reason for the hope that is in you?

What are your reasons for accepting Christianity (if you are a Christian). I personally find most scientific arguments unconvincing. I am more convinced by the following facts.

• The fact that the birth of Jesus perfectly symbolised the defeat of the watchers.
  • Numerology, including the fact that the Jerusalem Temple fell in 70 AD, 70 being a biblical number.
  • Some miracles, both by Jesus and not by Jesus. Including the empty tomb, the appearances to James and Paul, and also this
  • Prayer has proven positive effects on self control, and thus lowers crime.
  • Christianity perfectly acts as a counterbalance to postmodern craziness, which came about as a response to the west abandoning Christ.
  • Christianity gives a coherent explanation for why the wackier and more dangerous elements of postmodernism exist, especially those which seem bizarre. As the Bible says, God will send a strong delusion against those who commit sin. The influence of Satan, as God of this World should not be discounted either.
  • The Old Testament predicted historical facts from the New Testament, including the historical fact of Jesus’ crucifixion.

I know, I know, I’m crazy.

I would agree with the miracles, fulfilled prophecy as being very important, and while I appreciate the more pragmatic elements (coherent explanations for various things), I would see those more as results rather than reasons. Jesus is the reason for the hope that is in me (the typical Sunday School answer, of course, but I’ve found all the others lacking). I appreciate apologetic arguments, but only as long as they aren’t used to prop Jesus up, because he doesn’t need it.

7 Likes

I’ve never felt the appeal of this sort of argument. Perhaps it is because I do not take it as a given that everything in the cosmos and in the hearts of human beings must have a logical explanation which makes sense to our species. That just doesn’t strike me as a reasonable expectation.

I accept that Christianity is a reasonable worldview which reflective, educated modern people can hold. But I don’t think it is the only reasonable world view that can support human fulfillment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.