What helps you to connect to God?

What for you are spiritual activities?

I personally enjoy birdwatching, as well as watching other nature in the wild, I find it to be a spiritual experience.

3 Likes

that’s good! I’m sure there are other folks with great input. It reminds me of this:
Some keep the Sabbath going to Church – (236)

By Emily Dickinson

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church –

I keep it, staying at Home –

With a Bobolink for a Chorister –

And an Orchard, for a Dome –

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –

I, just wear my Wings –

And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,

Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –

And the sermon is never long,

So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –

I’m going, all along.

2 Likes

Walking in nature with my dogs at the beach or in the mountains and making my garden are right up there. Nature and creative activity generally I’d say.

1 Like

I could have added taking part in a real conversation about something challenging we’re both interested in who can share both what they’re convinced of and their speculation without defensiveness or insistence … people like you Randy and you Reggie.

2 Likes

@markd, very much so! The unfettered search for truth in good company…

Personally, I still find benefit from reading the Bible, meditating or praying on my own twice a day (first thing in the morning and on going to bed at night) helps me arrange my thoughts, though I don’t do a great job at always remembering. I also enjoy the Spiritual Disciplines of Dallas Willard, but haven’t fasted for a long time!

Nature, too, seems to give me scope to pray. Quote from Anne of Green Gables:

I believe you and your way is your way. Happy for you that you have one. For me prayer is like waiting and listening.

1 Like

I believe that is what my prayer is becoming more like, as well. I didn’t mean that the Bible was the only way–just a way. I do believe that the search for truth is prayer, and attributable and valid to atheist and agnostic, and any other type, as well as believer.

2 Likes

I knew that. It is a fine way I’m sure.

That “I-Thou” vs “I-It” distinction of Buber’s is the crux of it for me. Looking out on the world as something deserving of respect that can surprise me, rather than analyzing it all up as lists of stuff: I guess that is what is beyond the natural world for me, except that it isn’t really beyond the world. It very much deeply is the world when you don’t stop at the surface.

1 Like

Prayer and meditation seem to always help me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.