What Drives My Giving?

Randal Rauser’s review of Peter Singer’s “The Most Good You Can Do” is enlightening to me. Why do we give? For the warm feeling, on the spur of the moment, for the greater good? I have done all three–but this may change my actions.

This season is a great time to give, and I need all the help I can get in making wise decisions!What Christians (and everyone else) can learn from Peter Singer: A Review of The Most Good You Can Do - Randal Rauser

Is it better to give to a parking lot at my church, or to combat malaria, or a World Vision fund for orphans?

Should I give up going out to a restaurant, or is there a balance? Rauser’s interview with Joshua Parikh also addresses this question well, I think:
https://randalrauser.com/2017/08/effective-altruism-christian-conversation-joshua-parikh/

I’m interested in your reactions and thoughts. Thanks.

1 Like

Finally got around to reading the articles. Lots of food for thought. No doubt a lot of the drive for giving is to prop up our egos, but hopefully we can move to giving out of love. The video and comments about saving cats and dogs vs children were interesting to consider.
I think the folks vetting charities do a great service, as in today’s world I am suspicious of scams and hate to think of my money going in the pockets of some slimey promoter.

1 Like

I appreciate your taking the time–there is a lot of material there. Givewell listed some of the top effective charities–GiveDirectly is one of them, and @Christy mentionsit in the NPR allusion in the other thread. Christianity Today recommends it, too. Our Top Charities | GiveWell