"What do you think about Islam?" Postscript

Yes yes they do!If not there wouldnt be Christianity,Judaism ,and Islam.And i think we all do that.And if someone ddoesnt well then they fall into the more Deist category or maybe in some other religion(At least thast what i think)

But if we believe God is a personal being, who relates to humans, then that worship is being received or rejected by whoever God really is. There aren’t multiple entities responding to worship, there’s one. I believe God responds to Muslims and Jews who are sincerely seeking him.

2 Likes

Well by your argument then they would change their idea of Who He is and recognize Christ no? I do believe as well that God maybe answers some sincere prayers from unbelivers

Maybe. Revelation and coming to faith is always a process and not everyone is focused on a “moment of salvation.” How far along people have to be in their actual understanding vs. the intention of their heart to understand in order to be “saved” is something people debate.

1 Like

The God I worship is not the one enslaved to any theology of human beings, therefore the god of those Miroslav Volf describes must not be the same as mine. The living God and a human understanding of God are two completely different things and to worship the latter is pure idolatry. :grin:

Indeed! Either you are a monotheist and believe there is only one God or not. Only a closet polytheist would believe that another religion is actually worshiping a different god. But for a true monotheist, there is only the question of whether one is buying into the sadly delusional notion that your understanding of God captures His nature completely and is thus superior to the understanding of God by everyone else in the world.

That sounds terribly naïve to me. God is not some objective thing you can put under a microscope and even some things which are objective cannot be nailed down in such a manner. You might as well insist that that a photon or an electron must be either a wave or a particle and that both cannot be true. Regardless the most likely truth is that both ways of understanding God are ultimately wrong. You will get pretty much the same result if you ask a group of 1st graders to explain what a quantum field is? All their answers will be wrong. They just don’t have the ability to answer such a question correctly any more than (our religious delusions aside) we can nail down the nature of God.

1 Like

Again true .I agree.But thats the point.They might think it wa Allah who ansered them.Their mind might never go to Christ(expect if they prayed directly to him).So yeah we might have the monotheistic concept the same but the ideas differ.Thats what i wanted to clarify!!Thanks and take care!!

Some idea is correct the other is nott.We are talking about the Ultimate Beign that created the Cosmos .Im not gonna change my opinion on that.Feel free to disagree i dont have any other arguments really for this one.For me theres one way and its ChristTake care!!

I believe there is no way. “For men this is impossible,” Jesus said. Christ is not a way. Christ is not a tool we can use for any purpose. Christ is “the Ultimate Being that created the Cosmos.” Salvation is a work of God alone and belongs only to Him. No human can claim such a thing as their accomplishment without calling Jesus a liar.

I was saying it comes down to the right theology.I follow the theology of Jesus and the early church.Muslims the theology of Muhhamad.Sorry if i got misunderstood

Well of of course I think my position on theological issues are the correct ones. That is why I have those positions. But there are things I have been wrong about so it is all too likely that I might be wrong on some of those issues.

Comparing Christianity with Islam is difficult because diversity of thought in both religions is greater than the differences between them. And to be honest, a good part of the reason why I am Christian rather than Muslim is cultural even though I am not a cultural Christian (not raised as a Christian). But I never really gave the Quran much of a chance. It never appealed to me. I stand on firmer ground with the comparison with some other religions like Buddhism, Judaism, Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses, and the moonies because I took a much closer look at them. I can explain my disagreements with these much more clearly. But even so I would not say they worship a different God – that is confusing God with human understandings of God (which seems like idolatry to me). And to judge others by their theology leaves you in the very precarious position of being judged by your own theology, which as I have explained above is terribly shaky ground.

2 Likes

Right theology=Righ God.Thats the equation for me.For some like you might be confusing but for me its really that .I cant explain it differently sorry.But for myself this is it in my mind.Ive studied the Quran a little before giving Christianity a goal.I gave it up eventually for Christ and the Bible

Please read exactly what I wrote. I didn’t copy stuff from wikipedia.

I went on to explain how the different groups view Jesus.

To be fair, Volf was summarizing Evangelical reasoning, not asserting his own view in that sentence you quoted.

Also we should not forget what the Christian Crusaders did. Slaughtering many Jews and even attacking the Eastern Orthodox. Weakened the Orthodox so badly that it fell to the Muslims.

After Christians reconquered Spain and expelled the Jews, Muslims took them in. Jews were generally better off in Muslim lands than in Christian ones back then.

I find it interesting that Muslim majority countries like Malaysia baulk at letting Christians refer to God as “Allah,” and Christian majority countries don’t like to have Muslims refer to Allah as being the same as ours (Malaysian courts just allowed that to happen; conversion from Islam, last I checked, is not allowed there). It seems that it may stem from a desire by minorities to gain acceptance in the majority (note that Arabic Christians have used “Allah” for centuries in alluding to God).

Another mistake so soon? Fixed.

1 Like

Don’t Christian Arabs use Allah for God? I think that is what Allah means.

Yes, sorry, that’s what I meant to say.
Don’t Christian Arabs use Allah for God? I think that is what Allah means.
[/quote]

Well why they happened?.Because Muslims
were massacring and harrasing Christian pilgrims in the Holy Land.They were even destrying Christian sites.Crusaders did what everyone else did in the time of war.You think muslims were some kind of saints and didnt commit attrocities?Everyone in a war commits attrocities.Even the “good” guys.i don defend these of course.Im just saying that aint an argument.My comment was about Muhhamad.Did Jesus ever conquered a whole City and forced people to believe in him?Thats the difference

Yes.

• “…some will say. What about the Arabic Christians who call the God of the Bible “Allah”? Doesn’t this illustrate the fact that Allah and Yahweh are referring to the same God? Actually, when the Arabic Christians refer to “Allah” in their translation of the Bible, they believe that “Allah” is the father of Jesus and they believe that “Allah” is triune. Therefore, the Allah of the Arabic Christians cannot be the same Allah of the Muslims! This semantic [shibboleth] strangulation can be cleared up if we remember that words have both a denotative and a connotative meaning. Denotation refers to a dictionary definition, so it would be correct to say that Yahweh and Allah both refer to the concept of God, especially for their respective language groups. However, the connotation is determined by what a person conceives about the object of that word. For example, an Arab Christian may still use the word “Allah” to denote God, but his understanding of that term would be starkly different from a Muslim, for the Christian would recognize that Jesus Christ is God (Allah) whereas the Muslim would never consider that connotation. Thus, denotatively the word “allah” merely refers to “god, deity, etc.” However, we understand the denotative use by our connotative presuppositions. Therefore, “Allah” for the Muslim cannot be reconciled with the “Jesus is Allah” of the Arabic Christians. There is still a world of difference between the content of the word (connotation), even if the denotation is the same. Without this very important distinction made when we refer to “Allah” and “God” (Yahweh), a lot of Christians will be confused.”
    [Source: Is Allah of Islam the same as Yahweh of Christianity?]

Consequently, it is quite possible for me to reject a Muslim’s/Islam’s “Allah” and affirm an Arabic-speaking Christian’s “Allah” without hesitation.

@Relates

2 Likes