What did Jesus say?

If we had never read or heard those words, they are still true and the Word of God. If a person was so fortunate to have never gotten into a debate about who wrote the gospels or, did Jesus really say this or that, but heard the words that are in them and were convicted of their sins and turned to Jesus, He would save them from the power of sin. Quit arguing about who wrote the gospels and just proclaim them and the cross. People need to hear the good news of Jesus so they can repent and be saved from sin and condemning judgment. Those who are faithful children of God are messengers of the New Covenant that is in the blood of Jesus. So those of us who have faith in Jesus, His cross and the blood of the New Covenant, lets be faithful messengers.

Preach the good news of the death and resurrection of Jesus, for it is the power of God unto salvation.

Can I get an Amen?

Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God. :nerd_face:

True, he did. So let us proclaim the kingdom of God without shame or unbelief. Declaring the Word of God with boldness and unapologetically. Let the seed fall on all types of ground. But avoid usless arguments and debates that only lead to unbelief and strife.

1Ti 6:3 If anyone teaches false doctrine and refuses to agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus, the Messiah, and godly teaching, 4 he is a conceited person and does not understand anything. He has an unhealthy craving for arguments and debates. This produces jealousy, rivalry, slander, evil suspicions,

Do you mean to tell me that people really did write down events that took place 2,000 years ago? I know. I know they did. Of course. I get it. But, holy cow! We have very early copies of them, just like we talk about all the time. Here’s a sample. Wow! Does this drive it home that this stuff is the real deal! This isn’t just theory. This isn’t make believe/fantasy pie-in-the-sky stuff. These things really did happen. Man!

Do you guys see this thing?

1 John 4:11-12,14-17

Unknown author - Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 402, Papyrus 9 (Gregory-Aland)

True, he did. So let us proclaim the kingdom of God without shame or unbelief. Declaring the Word of God with boldness and unapologetically.

I can proclaim boldly and unapologetically everything about Christ by listening to another human being with the love Christ puts inside me. I don’t have to say much. His reality in me is bold and unapologetic. Words can get in the way sometimes. It wasn’t only what Christ said that separated him from all others. It was the way he interacted, his style, his presence, his confidence as He said what He did. You know? His genuine love for us is the key. If we don’t genuinely love everyone, they will reject what we say. Many have heard the gospel a zillion times. They may have never sensed anyone loving them with his love even once. That is what is so extraordinary about God. He loves us so MUCH and when we can sense it, it blows us away.

Cody, the young university student who knocked on my college dorm room at the exact moment I was opening it to head out onto campus to party, asked right then, “have you ever heard of the 4 spiritual laws?”
I had not, but figured this guy was some kind of nut so I agreed to go outdoors and look for girls while he shared his bologna, only in order to make fun of him for whatever ridiculous bull he was trying to sell.

I had roughly 32,000 questions which he answered with amazing patience and grace. If he didn’t know the answer, he would say so. He didn’t try to impress me. But, he seemed to know something about God and Jesus. He was very, very bright. Just talked to him, btw. He addressed all my arguments and questions and you name it. He couldn’t do enough to try to show me with openness and sincerity what he knew about this stuff.

I don’t care how we reach people for him. I don’t care how long it takes. Don’t care if they argue until they turn purple. To be a part of bringing Jesus to anyone no matter the cost is the greatest thing I can do.

According to Matthew, yes.
Taking into account the other Gospels and how they portray Jesus, it would be inline with His character.
So, all evidence points to yes.

To think that I can actually talk to God Almighty is beyond everything. To know that God hears me and that I can commune with him 24/7 is incomprehensibly unreal to me. To walk hand in hand with the Spirit of the universe is way too cool.

I’d like to talk to Einstein, Ian Anderson, Dylan, JFK, the Roosevelts, Abe Lincoln, Churchill, Niels Bohr, Feynman and countless others. I can talk to the One Who left us here whenever I want. He fills me with Himself all the time. He is my best, coolest friend who will always be my friend. Too cool.

In my Father’s house are many mansions
If it were not true He would have told me so
He has gone away to live in that bright city
He’s preparing me a mansion there I know

Jesus died upon the cross to bear my sorrow
Freely died that souls like you might have new life
But I know that soon there’ll come a bright tomorrow
When the world will all be free from sin and strife

Do not shun the Saviors love, from up in glory
Or you won’t be there to sing the gospel story
In my Father’s house are many mansions
If you’re true then to this land you’ll surely go

Songwriters: Elvis Presley

Did He say in my father’s house are many mansions? Why? Who said stuff like that? Was He nuts?

Not only that,

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well. 2In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.…

Who talks like that? What was on this guy’s mind? What was wrong with him? Where did He come up with total, ridiculous, irrelevant bull like this? His presence? Who cares about being in his presence? What, is He going to make my bed or something?

Well if we believe you than Jesus did. :wink:

I don’t consider this bull. Jesus is promising his apostles that there are places for them in the palace of the king. Certainly something they could only dream about. And when Jesus returns He will welcome them into the presence of the king. Kind of makes them big shots.

Again, if you are trying to be sarcastic or mocking or ironic or I don’t know what it doesn’t come across in a text message.

It is so obvious Who Christ is, it is so overwhelmingly unmistakable, that in order not to see Him for Who He really is, it takes tremendous amounts of work.

Those who cannot help but see him for who He is, try mightily to help others open their eyes. We begin to feel it is our responsibilty to ensure we explain him so well that everyone’s eyes will open and enjoy the view of him as He really is, when all along, if you think about it, it is crystal clear.

Elvis was raised in the gospel tradition and enjoyed singing this music throughout his life, but be was a notorious womanizer and cheated on his wife. My favorite Elvis song is Saved

Saul was a killer until he became Paul. Elvis plotted to kill a competitor, but was talked out of it by his entourage.
He was a lost soul but he knew where to find God. Hopefully, before he took his last breath, as he lay dying on his bathroom floor, he cried out to the One who is able to save to the uttermost those who call on his name. His song In The Ghetto suggests beneath all the flamboyant nonsense, he had a heart like Christ’s.

It is funny. Dr. Ehrman raves about how much the bible means to him. He considers the scriptures to be the guiding influence, the most important instructional texts in his life and promptly goes on to tear them apart as forgeries, as describing a despicable Creator with murderous intentions, a genocidal, bloodthirsty baby killer and sordid beast. Sort of like what Vinnie says. Portions of the NT --he doesn’t get too specific-- bring him into the glorious, sweet presence of God through prayer. And, he too believes the bible describes a monster God.

People, religious or not, are complicated! Nobody is 100% evil or 100% good. (Except Jesus, who was sinless)

On YouTube listen to the “nunnie bunnies” as they call themselves, “Sister Bea” and “Sister Maurice” in AA.
Riotously funny.

You, Bart, et al. are avoiding the real issue. Jesus is the Word (Logos.)

I am? How do you figure?

In the beginning was the word. Imagine that! The Divine Expression. They heard him, saw him, handled him, loved him, gave him everything they possibly could give. Why? Because they were commanded to? Because they couldn’t help themselves. He was incredibly lovable. They knew him up close. They were his pals, his best friends. They was something so good and kind and decent about him, they dedicated themselves to him and what He cared about, even before they really understood who the heck He was, you know?

Mankind has the most unusual way of making him out to be anything other than who and what He is/was. We are the strangest creatures.

And as usual, a reply that seems to bear no relationship to what I wrote.

Or are you clicking the wrong Reply button?

Ralphieralph benson

It is so obvious Who Christ is, it is so overwhelmingly unmistakable, that in order not to see Him for Who He really is, it takes tremendous amounts of work.

Those who cannot help but see him for who He is, try mightily to help others open their eyes. We begin to feel it is our responsibilty to ensure we explain him so well that everyone’s eyes will open and enjoy the view of him as He really is, when all along, if you think about it, it is crystal clear.

You mean this?

Interestingly I just came across this.

Makes me seriously consider if he says what he does because he is:

1. Trying to sell more books.
  2. Actively trying to destroy Christianity.