What did Jesus mean by “whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” Matthew 18:18

(Scott koshland) #1

What does it mean to bind and to loose?

(Matthew Pevarnik) #2

I think it means that if I get together with other Christian leaders then I can choose which scientific papers to bind (and keep shut) or loose (and let other Christians read them).

(Phil) #3

Good question. My initial reaction is that “heaven” may refer to the spiritual realm that coexists with what we see as the physical here. I think Wright has written about that heaven is all around us.
If that is true, then it may mean that what we do here materially has immediate consequences spiritually also. If you lie, cheat or steal, there is not just a physical result but a spiritual harm done.
But I may be wrong, just musing.

(Christy Hemphill) #4

I thought it had to do with church discipline in the context. Like if two or three people agree that someone is unrepentant about their sin, they can be let go from fellowship with the group and, since the agreement of two or three carries spiritual authority, it’s a big deal.

LOL!  

(George Brooks) #6

@Christy (@Skoshland )

I like Christy’s interpretation. Put in its most compassionate form (rather than the same possible meanings for negative purposes) - - if “the Church” (or 2 or 3 people in agreement) “binds someone as righteous” - - the angels will obey and mark his/her status accordlingly.

(Scott koshland) #7

Matt 16:18 And I tell you are Peter and that on this rock I will build my church… I will give you the keys to heaven. whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

2 Corinthians 6:14.
Do not be bound together with unbelievers for what partnerships have righteousness and lawlessness.

(Christy Hemphill) #8

This is a similar context having to do with spiritual authority over who is in fellowship.

This is a totally different context about marriage.

(Christy Hemphill) #9

Other translations have “forbid/prohibit/don’t allow and allow/permit” instead of bind/loose. So again, I think it speaks about spiritual authority and deciding boundaries.

(Scott koshland) #10

Obviously To bound is a relational term not a physical term. I see this in a good number of the Hebrew texts (and other) denoting connection. I take this to imply that they believed that faith, belief, love all bind people together and to God. Like the covenant between our God and his people. This information is binding. Likewise, those that reject him or rebel are loosed basically not in heaven.

This implies that information that is assembled and bound and ordered here in our world can be similarly assembled, ordered and bound in heaven. In this instance, I believe that quantum mechanics requires the conservation of information. Even between heaven and earth.

(Scott koshland) #11

Ok, I have bound and loose backwards. To bind or be bound is a punishment or a curse for some sin that is not forgiven. To loose is to be forgiven or free from punishment. Jesus is building his church on His Rock, Peter by giving him the keys to the entrance to heaven. Those that are not forgiven and bound on earth and not part of the church will likewise be bound in heaven and not part of the Kingdom in heaven while those that are loosed or forgiven on earth will be loosed is heaven and part of the Kingdom.

(Christy Hemphill) #12

Are you sure it is something that is done to people? I thought it was more a pronouncement on what was sin and not sin or doctrine or not doctrine. Wikipedia has an entry on it. Who knew?

(Scott koshland) #13

Well I am not a Hebrew scholar, but it does seem bound has many connotations. So forbid and allow is probably applicable in some cases but in this case I think it may be related to punishment.

John 20:21 . As the Father has sent me, I am sending you. Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins then they are forgiven and if you don’t forgive them they are not forgiven.