What books are on your reading list?

What books linked to faith and science are you planning to read?

My reading list:

• The Experience of God - David Bentley Hart
  • How Reason Can Lead to God - Josh Rassmussen
  • Aquinas - Edward Feser
  • The Ark Before Noah - Irving Finkel
  • Rebirding - Benedict MacDonald
4 Likes

All of them. :smiley:

I keep meaning to read something by Walton, but don’t have it yet. “Proper Confidence” is on my wishlist.

On my actual to-read pile are “Remarkable Creatures” by Tracy Chevalier, and, while it may not relate so much to science, “Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin,” a collection of essays by the late Rich Mullins.

1 Like

Just ordered Reading Romans Backwards by Scot McKnight. We have a local men’s Bible study that is going to be on Romans this fall and thought it would be a good supplement, as the Bible study is usually a little shallow.
I am currently reading How God Became King by Tom Wright, good read.

2 Likes

…by Newbigin! I love that book and should probably re-read it. There was a Newbigin thread I made too a long while back if ever you are interested in comments there. But I recommend reading any of his books first.

My reading list is divided between secular and Christian.
Secular: Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877. By Eric Foner.
When the Irish Invaded Canada: The Incredible True Story of the Civil War Veterans who fought for Ireland’s Freedom. By Christopher Klein.
The Polar Bear Expedition: The Hero’s of America’s Forgotten Invasion of Russia, 1918-1919. By James Carl Nelson.
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War. By David Halberstan.

Christian books: Understanding the Purpose and Power of Men: God’s Design for Male Identity. By Dr. Myles Munroe.
Church History Volume One: From Christ to the Pre-Reformations. By Everett Ferguson.
Introduction To Biblical Interpretation. By William W. Klein, Graig L. Blomberg, and Robert L. Hubbard, Jr.
Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics. By Scott B. Rae.

I’m pretty sure that recommendation came from you one way or another, but I don’t know whether it was that thread or a different one.

David Oderberg: Real Essentialism
Bill Vallicella: A Paradigm Theory of Existence
Edward Feser: Scholastic Metaphysics, Aristotles Revenge
Nigel Cundy: What is Physics?
Peter Hacker+Mike Bennett: The Philosophical Foundation of Neuroscience
Alasdair MacIntyre: After Virtue, Dependent Rational Animals

1 Like

Just read Intro to Biblical Interpretation for my hermeneutics class this summer; it’s a good read, accessible but not dumbed down. Good on you to read that on your own volition, it would do wonders for more of the body of Christ to read books like that! Another good hermeneutics book is “Reading the Good Book Well” by Jerry Camery-Hoggatt. It’s not as in-depth as Intro to Interpretation, but a good start for anyone interested in the topic.

2 Likes

Its a much better book then the one I had to read while at bible college. The one I had to read was called “Grasping God’s Word.” by J. Scott Duvall and J. Daniel Hays. It was an okay book to read in Hermeneutics with the first couple of chapters which dealt with the historical-cultural context and meaning an application but after that it was dumbed down when it got to the N.T. and O.T. So far this book (Biblical Interpretation) is much better and digs deeper into the stuff I wanted to know about but didn’t get the chance to. The professor I had was great and encouraged us to think outside the typical evangelical conservative box (of which the bible college was Charismatic evangelical bible college and it was a nice place) and would later plant the seeds for me to start questioning YEC doctrine.

Would love to read (since I make it no secret that I love the argument from composition), but from what I’ve seen it is hard to come by.

Horribly expensive (180€), but I learned so much from Vallicella over the time and he is one of the most valuable sources when it comes to pointing out weaknesses in arguments, incoherences or in general modern misconceptions even (or better: particularly) among academic philosophers. He also convinced me that the popular Fregean notion of existence is fundamentally flawed, so I expect to learn a great deal, but it will also probably be the hardest book I have ever read.
Listen to his interview on the Trinity podcast, there he stresses out some points about existence, which will interest you.

I’d rather spend my student grants on the Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible, or Mesopotamian Cosmic Geography, which are similarly expensive, but more relevant to what I will be studying.

“Knowing God” by JI Packer (on Audible now)
Just finished Michael Phillips’ biography of George Macdonald–very enjoyable.
“The Uncontrolling Love of God,” Thomas Jay Oord
“The Curate’s Awakening,” by Macdonald (re-reading)
“The Chronicles of Narnia” (we are at “The Horse and His Boy,” with my kids now, where Shasta is waiting with the cat at the Tombs, and Aravis is stuck behind the couch with the Tisroc).
“The Mysterious Benedict Society”
I’m also looking for something humorous and clean, in the nature of James Herriot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m really impressed that you can do this on top of going to medical school! I couldn’t when I was there–but maybe it’s a break! Best wishes. (I think you said you are going to med school?)

Yes I still do. But I read before going to sleep to get my head free. And since I´m not a fan of fiction, I can at least spend the time to work on my worldview.

1 Like

I just picked up Why Religion by Elaine Pagels and am finding it very moving. It was on an impulse and I thought I’d read her name somewhere on these forums but I couldn’t remember who had mentioned her. I was returning my last finished book and none of my holds were available yet so I took a glance at the new non-fiction (since I never have any luck picking a good novel by chance).

Her description of attending a Billy Graham revival meeting at the Cow Palace in San Francisco made an impression on me when she wrote

Now all of us who were “born again” shared in a living drama of salvation. That day opened up vast spaces of imagination that I’d previously entered only through the stories and music of others. It changed my life, as the preacher promised it would - although not entirely as he intended, or, at least, not for as long.

I find I can relate to what she says and I am seeing this sort of experience in a new light. It isn’t just peer pressure and conformity. There is something to opening oneself to something more that really does seem to reveal vast new spaces of possibility and meaning.

I looked on youtube to see if there was anything by her which would give me a clearer idea of who she is and found this. She certainly has lived through a lot and anyone can see that her reflection on religion has helped her not just to cope but to grow and learn.

1 Like

I have Darrel Falk’s Coming To Peace With Science arriving in the post any day now. I know it’s old now, but having come recently to properly accept the evidence for evolution (just finished Coyne’s Why Evolution Is True which I found incredibly compelling) I’m hoping I’ll be able to relate to Falk’s journey :smiley:

5 Likes

Just added: Alex Rosenberg “The Atheists Guide to Reality”

Most gripping book I have read in a while and one with a theme that should appeal to this crowd: A Perfect Predator, by Steffanie Strathdee. True story account. Natural selection in the course of weeks, with the love of her life hanging in the balance in a race with time. Unleash the lab researchers of war! They gotta make a movie.

“Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup” by John Carreyrou. About the implosion of Theranos. (Not a story set in the Marvel Comics universe…)