What about Pat Robertson's acceptance of evolutionary creation?

:smile_cat: As you may know, Dr. Robertson is a Neo-Pentecostal Southern Baptist who accepts evolutionary creation. What are your opinions on this? Also, let’s be scholars and be polite. Is his opinion having an effect on the Christian community? Be nice, Count Patrick Dracula.

2 Likes

My opinion of Pat Robertson has gone WAY UP !!!

"…the televangelist and political provocateur Pat Robertson called the literalist view of six-day creation “nonsense.”

“There ain’t no way that’s possible,” Mr. Robertson said Wednesday on his show, "The 700 Club,” taking issue with the “young earth” version of creationism, which holds that the universe is about 6,000 to 10,000 years old.

“We have skeletons of dinosaurs that go back 65 million years,” Robertson said. “To say it all dates back to 6,000 years is just nonsense, and I think [it’s] time we come off of that stuff, and say this isn’t possible.”

Wow… I never knew he was ever this adventurous!
Maybe we can all just go home now… if the 700 Club is coming out in favor of OLD EARTH … there’s not much left to accomplish … (I know… I’m not being realistic… I don’t really mean it …)

George

2 Likes

And then there is this nice quote from the same article:

"He probably does speak for a lot of Evangelicals who say, ‘Hey, I’m not going to die on this mountain,’” says Randall Balmer, chair of the religion department at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H. “The science is pretty well established on this, and I don’t see that as a touchstone of faith. “I think many Evangelicals, like many Americans, are prepared to say, ‘Hey, we can live with this,’ ” he continues.”

Another great Robertson quote:

“He clearly stated in the segment: ‘I don’t believe in so-called evolution as it is currently presented, as non-theistic. I believe that God started it all and He is in charge of all of it … but the fact that you have progressive evolution under His control, that doesn’t hurt my faith at all.’ Dr. Robertson has long discounted the Young Earth theory and yesterday’s comments are not a change of his views on creation.”

1 Like

I want to thank you for your great answers, George. Dr. Amos Yong is on the board of BioLogos and is very educated. He was Dean at Regent University School of Divinity. I believe he is now at Fuller Theological Seminary. Have a happy holiday and may God bless. George, even though we do not agree on the Trinity, I do have a great deal of respect for you.

1 Like

Hey… I think you have abandoned the thread on Yong…

On that thread … I think what Yong has done is leverage his “one-man-theology” show within the Adventists into a few stray areas.

He seems to be the one FAMOUS GUY in that denomination …

I am not sure what you mean. Dr. Amos Yong was Dean of the School of Divinity at Regent University and is an ordained minister in the Assemblies of God. He is therefore Pentecostal. He is on the Board of BioLogos and believes in Theistic Evolution. Dr. Robertson would not appoint a Seventh Day Adventist Dean of his Divinity School since Pat considers them a cult. Did you read the board members on BioLogos? Yong is now at Fuller Theological Seminary. In any case, Adventists are Young Earthers, and Amos is not. He wrote books on the Assemblies of God and Theistic Evolution.

Henry/Edward:

I did not know Yong was on the BioLogos board! Dr. Yong is amazing… he doesn’t seem to fit in with the Pentecostals …

How do his fellow Assemblies folk react to his outspoken support for Evolutionary science?

Geoge

The Assemblies of God hold several views: YEC, OEC- Day Age and Gap Theory, Theistic Evolution and Intelligent Design. The Assemblies have put out a statement supporting Theistic Evolution, however. Oh, I am not a member of that group, but I am a Southern Baptist-Traditionalist. That means that I am not Pentecostal like Pat. But I do like his university.

What?!?!? I guess I was snoozing!

Can you find that statement … the URL? Frankly, I think we should have official statements like that in our “easy to use/easy to find” database… :smile:

There are several that I know of. I will recommend this one. :smiley: It was written by Ken Ham and unfortunately, you will have to see his face. It is entitled: A sad day for the Assemblies of God. There is another one that gives the breakdown of the percentages of students that believe each view. I do not remember where one should find the actually statement. Out of interest, a made of it but I do not remember what I have done with it.

There is a breakdown on who believes what in the Assemblies of God. It is entitled: A Brief Overview of Pentecostal Views on Origins. This way you will not have to look at Ken Smithfield Ham. :laughing:

1 Like

First, I don’t believe you included the link.

Secondly, there must be an article on the A of G position that is NOT written by Ken Ham…

Ahhh I see your second post … but still no link…

@gbrooks9,

Did you see the link I sent? I hope it was helpful. Let me know.

At least there is room for discussion in the AoG. My husband grew up mostly in that denom and he was always taught the earth was old (at least at home), though I get the impression the openness to discussing evolution is a newer development.

@Henry
I had to delete one of your posts. We are going to be gracious to Ken Ham too, because we try to stay on the the high road around here. If you would like to discuss his erroneous ideas, feel free, but please do so without disparaging remarks about his character or the sincerity of his faith. :evergreen_tree:

@gbrooks9

I understand what you are saying. I believe I went a bit too far, and I owe Mr. Ham an apology. You are correct to delete what I said. Have a Merry Christmas. I have to admit that I said something that was stupid. I wish to thank you for removing my stupid blunder. I am not surprised about the Assemblies of God. I believe this is the article I saw two years ago and copied; however, as I told George, I lost it. May God forgive me. Oh, George, great work on finding the article. That is the one I was speaking about. I have made another copy to add to my special notebook. I hope you get a lot for the mass of Christ. Even though I am Southern Baptist, I am going to the local Roman Catholic Church for Christmas Eve. My church had a Christmas celebration and party last week; therefore, my church will not be having a Christmas Eve Service. Father O’Brien invited me to his church for the service. If I am feeling better tomorrow night, I will be there. I had to go back to the doctor because of my senior citizen pink eye. She gave me some eye drops and other medicines.

Oh, you are working late.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.