Wanting a reason to believe

Continuing the discussion from Poetically Harmonizing Genesis with Science:

Here you go: http://www.reasons.org/

That statement was made as a response within the thread that questioned how we are to read biblical texts. Out of context it gives the impression that I do not have answers to the reality of the Bible. God has given me understanding of reality in biblical texts that other writers called myth. I do not want to trust in a myth.

I have read some of Hugh Ross’s material and also material about him. He is a smart man, but the correctness of his theories is still to be determined. Most Christian evolutionists find some of his questions interesting but reject most of his conclusions. I can even see the logic jumps he makes in defense of his ideas.

Most theologians classify him as the leader of one group within the ID movement. I have a strong negative responses to the tactics of the ID movement. I do not believe he has the answers to my questions. I pray God gives him the answers to his questions.

You said you wanted a reason to believe, and coincidentally that is the name of his organization. I thought it seemed appropriate.

I appreciate your concern, really do. It was nice to have the statement noticed after all this time. But the statement is taken out of context.

I was pleading for the theologians and leaders of Christianity to stop teaching the biblical stories as simple myths. Too many of them have promote this interpretation, and seem to think it is acceptable. Yes, I understand their definition is a bit different from the common usage of the word. However, the common person does not comprehend that difference.

If God is real, but we describe the Bible as a myth, even the good kind of myth, than on what do we base our description of God or the knowledge of His reality?

These church leaders also reject any attempt to harmonize the biblical creation stories with science simply because all attempts so far have failed. My opinion, these attempts failed because they started inside a tradition based on myth instead of with nature. Most of them have tried to force nature into their traditional mold. That does not work.

If God is real and inspired the biblical stories, then the details within those stories should match the physical world in some way. We may not understand the physical world well enough to see the connection. But the connection must be found as evidence that the text is inspired.

If God is real, then the Bible must be held by believers as something real, otherwise God becomes a myth and the atheists win. I am not saying every word in the Bible is strictly literal and historical. We use various forms of literature to describe reality. But biblical reality must be more profound than Aesop’s Fables to be recognized by the world as inspired by God.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.