Voting: Natural Selection or Neutral Drift?

Do you really think voting is meaningless? What about the Black community? Are their votes meaningless?

Yes. I believe votes are meaningless so that naturally entails all of them including those by black people and women.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t disagree with the notion that the smaller the scale the more impact a vote or grassroots movement can have. But in my experience, most people pushing the mantra “it’s your duty/right to vote” or saying “your vote matters” are just issuing naive, coded responses.

1 Like

So if voting is meaningless, how do you propose we get new leaders? Maybe have a one-party system and let the party assign a leader for life? The rise of Christian Nationalism might solve the problem for us.

Maybe Christians just shouldn’t concern themselves about the Caesars of an earthly kingdom in which we are called to be ambassadors, not citizens? Historically this has been the stance of “my people” the Mennonites–many do not vote–with a worldview of strict separations of church and state.

2 Likes

…is maybe because of voting?

1 Like

We have to learn from history.

Yes we should. And we Christians should use the methodology of Jesus. Sadly, we often have not done so in history.

1 Like

That sounds nice but is vague.

Principles are vague by definition. How the principles are applied “non-vaguely” depends on the situation. Did you have a particular situation in mind?

@jpm If we don’t vote for leaders, how should leaders come into power?

By the votes of whatever non-christians chose to vote? Or maybe the secular people wish to have a monarchy system?

Just when you thought it was safe. My ASBO’s been lifted.

I’m OK with my idealism too. It is not met in reality. The kingdom of heaven doesn’t go far outside our heads. We can reach with, from it and cast a feeble shadow of it. Strongest in our families. I served our soup kitchen guests as best I could last night. But I wouldn’t call that achieving social justice aka righteousness. My country’s government just tried to rob the poor to pay the rich but that’s not why the UK stock market and the pound fell. They fell because the government hadn’t been explicit as to how it was going to rob the poor, spoke in vague generalities about ‘efficiences’.

The answer to suffering is social justice, which in the ‘free’ world can only be achieved by the people, despite the ‘freedom’ I agree. Freedom is meaningless when a fascist billionaire is chosen.

So repent. Repent of libertarianism. Repent of fascism. Repent of allowing it. Repent of acquiescence. Repent of being ‘above’ politics. Repent of white supremacy. Repent of injustice. Repent of unrighteousness. That’s God’s will. Change the people’s world. It doesn’t take intellect.

1 Like

Christians should be the Caesars. Along with the rest of the people. Christians should be completely involved in the rewilding of politics, but first they have to rewild their religion. However the former would cause the latter.

We just rely on their biologic clocks to run out, Seriously, we should vote, but sometimes it seems preordained.

Back to biologic clocks, I think my biologic clock centers on my bladder.

2 Likes

What you anti-voting people need to know is that while we do get incompetent people voted into office, they have to leave at the end of their terms. For presidential elections, there is a peaceful transfer of power, and the country is not plunged into chaos. (The exception was 45.)

The biggest issue is that people who rule by force are often monsters: Pol Pot, Stalin, Mussolini, Castro, Amin, and so on. Look them up. And they like to stay in power, not stepping down willingly. Some countries (e.g., Cuba) have suffered from both the hell of the right and the hell of the left.

Bottom line: I am voting and am grateful for the chance to do so.

So you don’t like the idea of Jews voting?

Explain

So don’t vote.

I think you missed the point. (We got our early ballots in the mail yesterday.)

Why can’t we have onchocerciasis and God’s good creation?