Verse of the day

Our pastor preached on this passage this morning and though I would share:
Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

While he made several other points that escape me at present, what stuck were some pointed observations regarding the conduct of many the past few weeks in the political sphere, particularly how many seemed quick to post and forward memes and Facebook posts that were false, from all the various viewpoints. As Christians we are called to the renewing of our minds so that we can discern truth and live in God’s “good, pleasing and perfect will.” That renewal comes from being in communion and relationship with Christ.

As it relates to us here, we are obligated to speak and write honestly, and truthfully in our dealings with others, even though there will be differences in opinion and interpretation. And I am pleased and thankful that we usually achieve that goal, though it is always on ongoing process, at least to me.

7 Likes

I imagine that’s a tough topic to address from the pulpit without delving too deeply into partisanship, so I admire people who are willing to try.

A pastor friend of mine offered this paraphrase of Ephesians 4:29:

Let no unwholesome meme or other post proceed from your social media postings, but only such a posting as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who read it.

It is definitely an ongoing process, but I really appreciate the peacemakers here, who respond graciously even when others may not. I have a long way to go in learning to give grace that way.

6 Likes

I’ve learned about 2 people whose quotes reflect that recently. It’s really hard to empathize on the Web, as it seems the temptation is to get recognition for one’s great thoughts or insights. However, these Christian writers reminded me of what you said

St Therese of Lisieux: 2. “Our Lord does not so much look at the greatness of our actions, or even at their difficulty, as at the love with which we do them.”

Henri Nouwen: “When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.”
― Henri Nouwen, Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.