Vaccines and religious exemptions

One of the more contentious interface issues in science and faith is that of the religious exemption for vaccines. Despite my reservations in some other areas, I am pleased to see the Dr. Jeffers of First Baptist in Dallas has encouraged vaccination and publicly states there is no credible reason for exemption on religious grounds. Perhaps there is hope yet.

Unfortunately, not all pastors have been so inclined. What are your thoughts regarding religious exemptions?

3 Likes

That is good news and it will help to some degree. How to get it widely disseminated, thoughā€¦

The David French article @Christy posted a few weeks back was very good:

1 Like

Bad idea when it comes to public health. Unless they can demonstrate that the virus excludes them from its grasp because of their religious beliefsā€¦ which yeah thatā€™s not true.

1 Like

I think unfortunately it will never be mandatory to the point it overrides religious freedom which has pros and cons. I think that we just keep trying to snuff out the stupid through how we preach and through how we vote and hope it gets to point where instead of 40-49% of the population is more like only 5% of it. The issue is their lack of compassion for the compromised. Iā€™m not sure how we can market to help influence them to care about it. Focus on reshaping the minds of kids in school and focus on using entertainment to influence healthier world views. If they can manipulate paint color schemes through the media .

Park one outside of every church on Sunday morning.

'Funeral home' ad spreads message for the unvaccinated | CNN

3 Likes

People can believe whatever they want, as long as they comply with the law, including taking the consequences of not doing so.

The laws the majority made ? No thanks. I dont believe in democrasy as the many ruke over the few. So yeah. Would like to open up a debate here but since it goes to the political spectrum i cant. Would be fun to see here everyone defending the so called democratic system

Here is a column on what Christian faith really exempts you from:

9 Likes

Good article. I was reading a post of Facebook relating how there are those dying due to a lack of ICU beds, because they are full of unvaccinated Covid patients.

1 Like

I learned yesterday that our hospital has had to implement its ā€˜diversionā€™ protocol ā€“ critical patients have to be diverted to other hospitals. One patient had to be flown 300 miles elsewhere. So I guess we need to avoid ā€˜unforeseen accidentsā€™ and other emergencies.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping this helps, but my pessimistic side is saying that people will just leave his church instead.

1 Like

Definitely is something that lingers in the back of my mind when teaching at a Christian University. There was this reason from the 2011 Barna group poll:

Reason #3 ā€“ Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is ā€œChristians are too confident they know all the answersā€ (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that ā€œchurches are out of step with the scientific world we live inā€ (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that ā€œChristianity is anti-scienceā€ (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have ā€œbeen turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.ā€ Furthermore, the research shows that many science-minded young Christians are struggling to find ways of staying faithful to their beliefs and to their professional calling in science-related industries.

Iā€™m not sure about any more recent up-to-date descriptions, there are 10 reasons here discussed from a Lifeway poll but I donā€™t have access: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2019/january/church-drop-out-college-young-adults-hiatus-lifeway-survey.html.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an unlocked link.

Well, I know those people are already leaving (and Iā€™m sure they are not part of Jeffersā€™ church to begin with). I was just talking about those who are fine with all of the other stuff in that poll, but are against vaccines.

1 Like

Vaccines seem like such an odd and arbitrary medical treatment to be against. Iā€™m probably more against ventilators though if it was more likely than not that Iā€™d be coming off it reasonably soon with a decent prospect of a good quality of life Iā€™d still accept it.

3 Likes

And an extremely odd ā€œline in the sandā€ to draw given all the other unknown corporate trash we willingly imbibe even though we havenā€™t the foggiest notion whatā€™s in it, much less what its long-term effects will be on our health. (Or actually we do have some pretty good notions ā€¦ when it comes to the junkier stuff, and it isnā€™t good! - which still barely slows us down on that front.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.