USPS announces new stamps for 2023 featuring microscopic images

Aren’t they beautiful?

6 Likes

very cool idea for stamps

3 Likes

The bacterial flagellum will appear on the Christmas/Religious stamps next year.

2 Likes

The diatom would.make a great stained glass window design. Kind of cathederally-ly looking.

2 Likes

It would! There are some modern stained glass windows out there. The National Cathedral has a “Space Window” with a piece of moon rock embedded in it.

The space window at the National Cathedral

“The heavens are telling the glory of God”

1 Like

That window is the only specific detail I could remember from my 7th grade trip to the cathedral (and DC) in 1979(?), and it was just the same, when we were back again a few years ago. I hear Gustav Holsts’s Planets in my head, when I see it.

These aren’t microscopic images, they’re normal size images of enlarged microscopic things :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Hah yeah. I was expecting tiny tiny images here.

4 Likes

The radula is probably identifiable, but I have done very little with freshwater groups, and pretty much nothing with radular morphology. Being freshwater limits it to ampullariids, viviparids, certain nerites, “cerithioids”, “truncatelloids”, hygrophilans, and a few random things that are in normally marine groups.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.