Update on a previously mentioned issue: "Brain Splitting"

• Recently, I was introduced indirectly to V.S. Ramachandran and his post-corpus callosum surgery “research”, discussing one particular effect of the surgery: specifically, that one side of a person’s brain can be an atheist while the other side is theistic.
  • Personally, I found that fascinating, but did not question or challenge it.
  • It so happens that @Combine_Advisor also started a thread Make Up Yer Mind, Already! Hemispheres and Souls.
  • IMO, this post addresses both previous posts as follows:
    • Last night, I googled “VS Ramachandran” to see if anybody else had something to say about his initial conclusion that brain-splitting can reveal a divided opinion in a specific individual. And I came across this: My Right Hemisphere Is An Atheist! No, Wait … . Just what I was looking for: a statement disputing Ramachandran’s claim. Ergo, for rapt readers in the audience, I share that contrary view here, and welcome useful contributions in this thread. [Be advised: If you’re on my “Ignore” list, I’m not going to see your contribution. By default, your contribution is, IMO, “useless”. If you have any doubt about your status in my book, don’t worry; you’ll figure it out … eventually.]
  • Brain-splitting effects would seem to have a significant impact on The Greatest Commandment: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."
2 Likes
  • Proper term for the surgical procedure of “brain-spitting”: “Corpus Callosotomy”,
1 Like

Off-topic

…is really interesting. It might have been a segment on 60 Minutes years ago or something on PBS where I was introduced to it. Most people that have it enjoy it, but some types are annoying (and without escape, unless somehow you can avoid the particular stimulus).

1 Like

The effect of many types of brain alterations (of any kind by any cause) and variations in brain formation have similar effects on the ability to or likelihood that one would have faith in God.

The surgeries I have heard of where the corpus colosum was severed were performed to eliminate recurring massive seizures. These weren’t just a twitch. The seizures themselves caused brain damage, sometimes death.

So, as with many medical situations we are left with ethical questions, when altering the brain is part of a life-preserving therapy, but also when the alteration or variation has natural or supernatural causes (depending on how you view causes).

If we have in view the breadth of the spectrum of possibilities, the mantra of “sanctity of life” is confronted head on.

2 Likes

Yes our existence is fragile and, unlike the divine, mortal. Of course I believe the divine is within (not referring here to the ego). There is much within but that we are here as we are at all is by the grace of the sacred which continually calves off into new forms without ever diminishing itself. I’m thinking of the One or the sacred as perpetual becoming now.

It’s definitely interesting. I remember when I first heard this on that one podcast episode I looked it to and found that perhaps not everyone agreed or thought it was a bit hyperbolic.

I was never certain because of personal experiences. My grandfather has dementia for years. Some days he was normal and others not. He would go from being very loving, kind and patient one day or moment and the next be very mean. One meal he use to like was just cereal. He would eat it as a snack and next minute he is going on about disrespect and you feed him a grown man cereal.

So it made me kind of believe that perhaps our brains can have differences in them like this.

3 Likes

For real.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.